Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 14, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,998 of 6,472
  Do people prefer Joti to Mjolnir 2 with LISST?

Haven't gotten to it yet but should in a week or so. I've spent the past 7 days comparing Black Dragon and DanaCable Lazuli HP cables for my HD800. Need some down time for my ears, or at least some listening for pleasure time.

From my notes - one of the reasons I have 3 different Schiit HP amps:

My MJ2 is good design that gives me some good ole’ tube sound, and with “rolling” it becomes a chameleon and with  LISST complete flexibility. The Jodie (sans DAC or phono) is a good example of the some of the best a pure SS circuit has to offer and I like it as well. And for me, the Ragnarok, somehow, seems to straddle both of the other two’s sonic worlds in a good way. At least to my ears.

When I get to the LISST's that will complete my Schiit Headphone Amp tour.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,999 of 6,472
Does the Jot have any popping or clicking noise during power cycles?

Mine makes clicking sounds when powering off, it's about 4 clicks on turn off, same every time. I'll have to check when powering on. This is an external sound, not something I hear through the headphones. I always unplug my headphones when powering on and off.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,000 of 6,472

Not through the phones. There is a subtle mechanical sound of the relays opening on power up.

I have a Lyr that does a scary pop so I am glad Schiit has fixed all of this. I feel that the products they have produced at their new location are of a far better quality than the older ones.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #2,001 of 6,472
Hello.
Finally, Got my upgraded Bimby and Jot combo.  I see now why ppl are raving about jot and mimby or bimby combo setup.  It REALLY make my HD 800 sing and it makes music sooo transparent...(This is ONLY youtube vidio sound).  Other 24bit- 96,192 and other...You're in the music....man I can go on like this forever!!! I would highly recommend this set up...mimby or bimby..  

Of course this is NOT a end game set up BUT this is really tasty SCHIIT!!

Thanks Jason and his SCHIIT!!  LOLO  ;P

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,002 of 6,472
Schiit has done tremendous stuff for hd800. Vali 1 and 2, Valhalla, Jotunheim, Mjolnir 2 are all revelations. Ragnarok is transcendent.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #2,003 of 6,472

Why would you power-cycle it? Just leave it on 24/7, it doesn't get that warm, unlike the Asgard 2 I had before.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #2,004 of 6,472
I am currently working on building my "endgame" headphone rig. I have decided to go with the audeze lcd 3 with fazor as my headphones. And this cuts deeply into my budget. I have about $1000 left in my budget and want to get the best bang of my buck. I am looking at getting the jotunheim with the upgraded bifrost as my set up. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this matter.
My current set up
Tidal HIFI> ODAC> TUBE MAGIC D1> Q701
SPEAKER SETUP
TIDAL HIFI> ODAC> MARANTZ SR5008> B&W 685 S2
Portable
Tidal hifi> dragonfly red> IE80

Bifrost Multibit + Jotunheim is a great stack (at least with my MrSpeakers Ether C Flows), but the Bifrost will benefit from a solid digital source. How do you plan to feed it? Direct USB from a PC or Mac? If so, please read this, and another $100 for a Schiit Wyrd might help if signal quality is not what you hoped for.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,005 of 6,472
  is the jotunheim supposed to run that hot? to the extent that it burns when i place my hand on it for more than 5secs? 

Not mine, which has been on 24/7 for a month or so.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,006 of 6,472

Ah? dont know why i didnt see that there. Cheers
Thats quite a lot for a headphone amp? nearly as much as an asgard2 Class-A

Difference is that the A-2 puts that out constantly, being class A. I don't think the Jotie does, at least to judge by how relatively cool it runs at normal hearing levels.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #2,007 of 6,472

Of course this is NOT a end game set up BUT this is really tasty SCHIIT!!

There is no endgame. Your taste, ears, and budget keep changing. I stopped for now at Bimby+Jodie because it satisfies, it fits well the space in my home office, and it's so good I can't be bothered to spend the time to investigate upgrades, try them out, and sell the older gear. (I lie a bit: before the Jotie emerged, I had a Liquid Carbon on order that finally arrived, and I'll be testing it against the Jotie once it's burned in. I suspect that in any case the LC will find its way to my desk at work, I have a special affection for my Bimby+Jodie stack).

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,008 of 6,472
The multiquote function is there to prevent quintuple posting
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #2,009 of 6,472
  Why would you power-cycle it? Just leave it on 24/7, it doesn't get that warm, unlike the Asgard 2 I had before.

the way Ive been using my headphones is quite sporadic.
i could sit down and listen to one song before getting nagged, or a few hours while working.
Power costs in Australia is expensive and every little bit helps.
We pay average $550 AUD per quarter for a household of 2+2

Oct 15, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #2,010 of 6,472
  the way Ive been using my headphones is quite sporadic.
i could sit down and listen to one song before getting nagged, or a few hours while working.
Power costs in Australia is expensive and every little bit helps.
We pay average $550 AUD per quarter for a household of 2+2

simple get solar we have so much sun here in oz don't get a power bill anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back