Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 10, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #1,936 of 6,472

So if I was going to get a dac to pair with the Jot and my budget is around $600, are there other recommendations besides the biggy?

Chord Mojo would be where I would start at $600. Though if you do not need the Jot's power, you may just decide that the Mojo alone is sufficient. 

What's a "Biggy"

The Mojo is is bout $450 new from Amazon UK, which is a great deal. I spoke to about the concern about keeping the MoJo plugged in all the time and the effect that might have on the battery, and they said not to be concerned. Given that, the Mojo is a pretty good desktop DAC for $450, and can be taken portable with easy, so you get two devices in one. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,938 of 6,472
Yeah that's Bimby. Mimby + Jotunheim is $650, and has become the reigning mid-fi stack. Multibit takes some of the edge off the solid state.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #1,940 of 6,472
For what it's worth, I have both, I have the built in DAC in the Jotunheim and the mimby (modi multibit). While the DAC inside the Jot is a good DAC, especially for the price of admission, the mimby is definitely better. We've compared the two here at home, and the mimby is champ! IMHO. It's worth the extra cash I think. My next step is looking into either gumby or yggy though, I really want to hear either one into the Jot balanced, i bet that's an awesome sound there.

Can you run the Jot with the Modi Multibit using RCA cables and still use the balanced on the Jot? I'm in the same situation as you, I have the Jot w/ internal DAC and have been reading the posts trying to educate myself. Will it be a 'true balanced connection' even though the Modi isn't balanced? Sorry if this a dumb question.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,942 of 6,472
Can you run the Jot with the Modi Multibit using RCA cables and still use the balanced on the Jot? I'm in the same situation as you, I have the Jot w/ internal DAC and have been reading the posts trying to educate myself. Will it be a 'true balanced connection' even though the Modi isn't balanced? Sorry if this a dumb question.

Well, the way I run mine is RCA from the mimby to RCA input on the Jot. That would be a SE connection from what I understand, not balanced. Maybe you could buy a cord that would have RCA ends to XLR ends on each cord, and see if that improves the sound? I don't think that would be true balanced though. Someone more knowledgeable than I could chime in.

As I understand it, the only way to run a Schiit DAC truly balanced into the Jot would be buying a gumby or yggy , since they have true balanced outputs, and the mimby and bimby don't, just RCA outs on those two. I think i have it right.

Mimby with an RCA hook in sounds really nice though! Hope this helps!

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #1,944 of 6,472
Well, the way I run mine is RCA from the mimby to RCA input on the Jot. That would be a SE connection from what I understand, not balanced. Maybe you could buy a cord that would have RCA ends to XLR ends on each cord, and see if that improves the sound? I don't think that would be true balanced though. Someone more knowledgeable than I could chime in.

As I understand it, the only way to run a Schiit DAC truly balanced into the Jot would be buying a gumby or yggy , since they have true balanced outputs, and the mimby and bimby don't, just RCA outs on those two. I think i have it right.

Mimby with an RCA hook in sounds really nice though! Hope this helps!

Yes it helps for sure. I'm really enjoying the balanced connection with the Jot and haven't pulled the trigger with the Multibit because I was unsure of what I'd be gaining vs losing.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #1,945 of 6,472

Yes, you can use an unbalanced DAC like the Mimby or (in my case) Bimby, and still get balanced headphone output. As I understand it, the Jot's topology is balanced even if taking SE input. There's quite a difference in soundstage, bass, between SE and balanced output from Jot to my Ether C Flows.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #1,946 of 6,472
Yes, you can use an unbalanced DAC like the Mimby or (in my case) Bimby, and still get balanced headphone output. As I understand it, the Jot's topology is balanced even if taking SE input. There's quite a difference in soundstage, bass, between SE and balanced output from Jot to my Ether C Flows.

Thank you, I didn't quite get what he was asking, time to go to sleep probably lol. Been a long day. But yes, I use a balanced cord for my HD650 into the jots balanced headphone jack in the front while using RCA to RCA in the back with mimby. It works great.

That said I really want a Yggy now though, so I can use xlr cords from Yggy and have everything balanced, for what that's worth. Also, I'm dying to finally hear Yggy and see how much more it has than the wonderful mimby.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,947 of 6,472

So a definite upgrade in your opinion to the internal DAC on the Jot using a balanced HP jack?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back