Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,756 of 6,473
I've only had the 650's a short time now, but I've really enjoyed them so far! Last night especially. I've been getting used to them, and they seem to be a really nice headphone so far. I'm running them with the mimby and the Jotunheim of course.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,757 of 6,473
wow, and you didnt like them! I see now that you had modded the 650 but left the spider. to me removing the spider also helped quite a bit... but I doubt it would have made love the 650 by removing the spider.

so you tried the hd800 with the jotun and prefered that? stock I cannot live with hd800, really need EQ via sonarworks. hope the hd800 pairs well with jotun once EQ'ed.

one of the only "affordable" headphone id want is hifiman he-x. maybe try those

IMO the 800 is a better headphone, but I preferred the 800S which seemed to fix the 800s shortcomings (recessed upper mids, treble spike, clincal tone). I preferred my T90 to them both since it was more revealing of detail and had a more fun, engaging tone. But I could definitely see myself owning an 800S in the future. It is amazing.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #1,758 of 6,473
Just got the Jot. AIFF files sound great via iMac>AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable>Jot w/DAC. Trixie Whitley's voice particularly haunting, and the accompanying instruments are clear and well balanced on Porta Bohemica album.

Trying to figure out whether low or high gain sounds best with an Audeze LCD2 (PlusSound Cable). I should expect the higher gain would work better with the LCD2 right? It seems so.

Thankfully no USB noise that I can detect via my home iMac. I was going to bring this to work, but this may replace my PS Audio GCHA amp. and Musical Fidelity M1. Time will tell.

I'm going to try my HD-650 next. 

I hope everyone that has ordered a Jot gets theirs soon!

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,759 of 6,473
Not liking a headphone's sound signature and being able to understand and appreciate (and recommend) its technical merits are two different things. Reviews are actually supposed to be fair, honest and balanced. I actually recommended the pairing since he was obviously a fan of the 650. I used to own and love the HD600 (an the HD558) which is very similar to the 650, so I am already familiar with the Sennheiser house sound.

I don't know but you seemed extremely full of eager anticipation about getting your hands on the 650's and then when you finally received them you quickly assessed you didn't like their sound signature (the same day you received them), wrote them off and then modded them (again the same day you received them). Then again decided you wouldn't be able to get accustomed to them and decided to sell them. Yet you claim you're quite familiar with the Sennheiser house sound? Really?

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,760 of 6,473
Not really. I went back and forth throughout the week. That was just my initial reaction. The 650 is a very good headphone, its just not one I'd listen to much.

ColtMrFire:

Both the Jot and the 650 (silver drivers) came today.

Jot/T90 is wonderful.

But holy mother of god is the 650 DARK. Coming from bright Beyers that was going to be obvious, I just wasnt prepared for how dark these are. My old HD600 are practically Grados compared to these.

Those were my initial thoughts of the unmodded 650/Jot. Technically a great pairing, it just felt like there was a blanket over the drivers.

Immediately did the coin, rear foam and dynamat mod...

Better but still shocking. I've just never heard cans this dark before and its kind of freaking me out. Don't meant to be dramatic.

Even with the mod, I am bothered by it. Gonna keep listening of course for brain burn in, but wow... Quite a day of extremes.

You immediately cut'em up without getting used to them is my point. Obtained Friday, modded friday, listed for sale Saturday and is now sold. You've been called out a LOT on this forum for pointless posting of suggestions without owning or listening to gear and now without having any solid experience with gear you speak of. Please have something to contribute from solid experience.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #1,761 of 6,473
I don't know but you seemed extremely full of eager anticipation about getting your hands on the 650's and then when you finally received them you quickly assessed you didn't like their sound signature (the same day you received them), wrote them off and then modded them (again the same day you received them). Then again decided you wouldn't be able to get accustomed to them and decided to sell them. Yet you claim you're quite familiar with the Sennheiser house sound? Really?

Fell victim to hype. It happens. Didn't like them at first, started to warm up to them a bit, went back and forth a few times and ultimately decided...not for me, even though I came away understanding and appreciating their technical merits.

The 650s aren't for everyone. Now while I love all the attention I'm getting, we really should get back to Jotunheim talk, no?

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,762 of 6,473
[COLOR=000000]ColtMrFire:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000] Both the Jot and the 650 (silver drivers) came today.

[COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR]
Jot/T90 is wonderful.[COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR][COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR]
But holy mother of god is the 650 DARK. Coming from bright Beyers that was going to be obvious, I just wasnt prepared for how dark these are. My old HD600 are practically Grados compared to these.[COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR][COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR]
Those were my initial thoughts of the unmodded 650/Jot. Technically a great pairing, it just felt like there was a blanket over the drivers.[COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR][COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR]
Immediately did the coin, rear foam and dynamat mod...[COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR][COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR]
Better but still shocking. I've just never heard cans this dark before and its kind of freaking me out. Don't meant to be dramatic.[COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR][COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR]
Even with the mod, I am bothered by it. Gonna keep listening of course for brain burn in, but wow... Quite a day of extremes.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]********************************************************[/COLOR]

You immediately cut'em up without getting used to them is my point. Obtained Friday, modded friday, listed for sale Saturday and is now sold. You've been called out a LOT on this forum for pointless posting of suggestions without owning or listening to gear and now without having any solid experience with gear you speak of. Please have something to contribute from solid experience.

Those thoughts were posted immediately. I did more critical listening throughout the week without posting about it, so what you read is not the whole story...not by a long shot.

This obsession with my opinion is getting weird (and creepy). Don't you have something better to do?

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #1,763 of 6,473
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,764 of 6,473
Fell victim to hype. It happens. Didn't like them at first, started to warm up to them a bit, went back and forth a few times and ultimately decided...not for me, even though I came away understanding and appreciating their technical merits.

The 650s aren't for everyone. Now while I love all the attention I'm getting, we really should get back to Jotunheim talk, no?

Just so you know, I too had an initial crummy and disappointing experience with the HD650 (posted earlier in this thread) and decided not to buy them.  Several months later I had an opportunity to spend some quality time with them at an Audio Show with various quality amps. I then realized that my initial impression wasn't a fair one because of the amp they were paired with.  A couple more months went by and I decided to pull the trigger and bought a pair.  On my original Magni they sound just okay but on my Lake People G109S they sound extremely good.  Absolutely no veil whatsoever.  It's true, with a good amp these headphones scale extremely well.  On my Vali2 they can sound good depending on which tube I use.  They can sound notoriously dark with certain tubes to superb with other tubes.  I guess the point I'm trying to make to you is quick judgement on what was an initial impression isn't a very good way to assess a headphone like the 650's (or any piece of audio equipment).  This headphone has a well documented reputation (by people that know a hell of a lot more about these things than you or I) of being an extremely good can.  Personally I think you wrote them off way too quickly (no, 1 week isn't a fair assessment) and then came across as judgemental and critical.

So as requested, let's get back to the Jot discussion.  I have been reading on this thread that the HD650's seem to pair extremely well with the Jot so I am definitely interested in upgrading my Magni2U (which replaced my original Magni a few years ago).  I am already getting one of my Audio Sensibility cables converted to Balanced for the HD650.  As soon as The Headphone Bar in Vancouver gets their shipment from Schiit I'm ordering the Jot.  I can't wait to hear how these terrific headphones scale as balanced on this amp.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,765 of 6,473
Thing about the hd650, it'll scale way beyond the Jot.
People put together $20k rigs for the hd650 before the hd800 came out.
Not say you need that at all, but it shows the headphone can scale better than most.

Imo, the Jot is definition of mid-fi. It's not going to bring the best out of the hd650, or any flagship headphone for that matter.
Regarding it's power to drive HE-6, there's a difference between sound pressure and sound quality. 

Jot has a noticeable grain to it, grey background, slightly boosted treble. 
It isn't like Schiit is doing anything new either, they jumped into the combo game after almost every other manufacturer has been doing it for years. 
Not saying it's bad the capitalize, but stating Schiit isn't giving us anything new here.

For example, for $325 I prefer the AGD NFB-11 to the Jot.
The Matrix Audio Mini-i @ $380 is something the Jot bests.

Just two examples of products in the same market, same price range, one better for me, one not. 
The list is long for combos + - $100 of the Jots $500 with DAC. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,766 of 6,473
Just so you know, I too had an initial crummy and disappointing experience with the HD650 (posted earlier in this thread) and decided not to buy them.  Several months later I had an opportunity to spend some quality time with them at an Audio Show with various quality amps. I then realized that my initial impression wasn't a fair one because of the amp they were paired with.  A couple more months went by and I decided to pull the trigger and bought a pair.  On my original Magni they sound just okay but on my Lake People G109S they sound extremely good.  Absolutely no veil whatsoever.  It's true, with a good amp these headphones scale extremely well.  On my Vali2 they can sound good depending on which tube I use.  They can sound notoriously dark with certain tubes to superb with other tubes.  I guess the point I'm trying to make to you is quick judgement on what was an initial impression isn't a very good way to assess a headphone like the 650's (or any piece of audio equipment).  This headphone has a well documented reputation (by people that know a hell of a lot more about these things than you or I) of being an extremely good can.  Personally I think you wrote them off way too quickly (no, 1 week isn't a fair assessment) and then came across as judgemental and critical.

So as requested, let's get back to the Jot discussion.  I have been reading on this thread that the HD650's seem to pair extremely well with the Jot so I am definitely interested in upgrading my Magni2U (which replaced my original Magni a few years ago).  I am already getting one of my Audio Sensibility cables converted to Balanced for the HD650.  As soon as The Headphone Bar in Vancouver gets their shipment from Schiit I'm ordering the Jot.  I can't wait to hear how these terrific headphones scale as balanced on this amp.

What people think of a HP isn't really relevant. Your own ears decide for you, which is what happened. Judgemental and critical? Of course. What else does one do in this hobby? It seems to offend people sometimes, but I guess you can't control that.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,768 of 6,473
I heard a fully modded 650 with a Valhalla 2/Bimby combo and preferred my HD600. With a new stock 650 and the Mimby/Joti combo I am in heaven. I think to get a better pairing for the 650 you'd need to spend over a grand for a serious tube amp. To have an SS amp that pairs this well with the 650 and also can power almost any other headphone or IEM you can think of is a huge achievement.

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #1,769 of 6,473
Using the Prime Meridian and JO and I find my HEK observations are spot on with Maxx's. In fact, almost sold the HEK until this measly priced amp came along. To think that the slovenly HEK's could be turned into effortless angels was something that I could not have fathomed. And to do so for $500 is ridiculous. (I threw in the dac that I will not use because what's a $100? It might serve a purpose one day) Schitt just got real. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,770 of 6,473
  Ok, so the initial review said it drives the HE6 just fine. Anyone able to confirm this? A little skeptical.

It does, though I have yet to use many other options, such as 100-watt speaker amplifiers to compare. I certainly was not at or anywhere near full volume when playing through the Jot. It had plenty of headroom and bass was plentiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back