Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #1,111 of 6,472
I always feel like measurements tell half the story. We're not robots. Clearly there is some kind of biological component to audio which can't be captured on a graph. And that components can have different flavors you can't necessarily capture with measurements, or at least do not fully get captured by measurements.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,112 of 6,472

Sorry, but this is very confusing.

You are saying an high end optical cable used with your gaming PC sound worse than Micro USB out of your phone.

You then use your Oppo, but don't say which cable type you used. Did the Oppo sound better with both USB and Optical? Better than what?

Did you test the optical on the oppo against the USB on the oppo? Sam of the gaming PC, its optical vs its USB.

You cannot make any general statement about the quality of the ports comparing the optical on the PC vs the optical on the oppo. There are too many other factors, although you could reduce those factors.  

Let me clarify..

I tested Mojo with a laptop > USB Regen >Intona USB > Synergistic Research's USB Active SE> Stock Chord Microusb cable> RCA

Maybe you should try the USB straight through, or only through one of those de-crapifiers.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,113 of 6,472
Yeah there is no way to measure lets say image placement, dynamics or something as subjective as emotionality. That being said I like to see low THD and SNR levels as those things can affect the treble in particular and make it sound a bit harsh. I love the fact that Schiit has nothing to hide in this regard, I mean they have the pictures of the actual PCBs on their product pages which is really cool and gives a sense of confidence. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,114 of 6,472
Thanks for all the responses.  I'll check out that other thread too.

But, in any case....I get the sense that there isn't much call for an optical audio input DAC module option for anyone who would prefer that over the usb input DAC module.

Bummer, hahaha

Oh well.

c'est la vie.

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,119 of 6,472
Not sure which configuration you ordered, but my order was for amp only. I ordered on the 9/15 and hadn't received any notifications other than the original order confirmation, so I followed up by email earlier today.

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #1,120 of 6,472
Seeing that the webpage was still quoting 1-3 business days was part of what motivated me to contact them. I was a bit surprised that the webpage hasn't been updated even after getting that reply from Schiit.

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #1,121 of 6,472
Not sure which configuration you ordered, but my order was for amp only. I ordered on the 9/15 and hadn't received any notifications other than the original order confirmation, so I followed up by email earlier today.

I ordered amp only on the 16th, no shipping confirmation for a few days so I emailed them yesterday. That night they told me a day or two it would ship out. Not sure what's going on so I just sent a followup email.

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,122 of 6,472
I always feel like measurements tell half the story. We're not robots. Clearly there is some kind of biological component to audio which can't be captured on a graph. And that components can have different flavors you can't necessarily capture with measurements, or at least do not fully get captured by measurements.

What in the world are you talking about??? Little microbes that run around inside the amp????

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #1,124 of 6,472

It seems to me that measurements are a proper engineering goal to pursue.   I cannot speak for anyone's sonic perception, other than my own; for that reason, I make no sonic warranty.  I have not been shy about publishing my own preferences, however.  We are definitely NOT in the business of offering new products only for the sake of being new.  It is an ongoing learning process for us as well.

I'm an EE and fully understand the importance of measurements as part of the design process or QA. IMO far too many people think that they can hear things beyond human limitations, e.g., above 20 kHz, incredibly low distortion levels, etc. and then it takes on a life of its own on the forums.
I never said the Schiit offered new products for the sake of being new, I always thought and said that Schiit offered solid new products at affordable prices in their categories. This is evidenced by the number of Schiit's products that I own.

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #1,125 of 6,472
Thanks for all the responses.  I'll check out that other thread too.

But, in any case....I get the sense that there isn't much call for an optical audio input DAC module option for anyone who would prefer that over the usb input DAC module.

Bummer, hahaha

Oh well.

c'est la vie.

Perhaps for PC listening where there's a choice between optical and USB, but plenty of usage scenarios where USB isn't an option (CD players, Chromecast, game consoles, etc) and an optical input would be nice. Obvious response is get Modi, etc, but would be nice to have the option for all-in-one Joti solution with optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back