Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 18, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #946 of 6,473
I need another headphone amp like I need another hole in my head. That said, in my office system I use the Gungnir feeding the Asgard 2 (LOVE this amp) which is also used as a preamp to my Parasound Halo A23. It just dawned on me that the Jotunheim would allow me to use the balanced outputs from the Gungnir and go balanced out to the A23's XLR inputs. The whole setup would be running balanced rather than single-ended. Would most of you see that as reason enough to grab a Jotunheim?

I've never felt the Asgard 2 was underpowered for the headphones I use, the AudioQuest NightHawks, B&W P7's, HE-400 & 500's and my primary IEM's are the Westone W40's. None of my headphones are setup for running with a balanced amp, but adapters and new cables aren't hard to acquire.

Any thoughts regarding the sound quality/signature of the Jotunheim vs the Asgard 2 and/or using the Jotunheim as an amp paired with the Gungnir via their XLR outputs and inputs? I've never heard the Gungnir from it's XLR outputs.

Thanks in advance for any input you're able to provide! 

You've gotta love how Schiit Audio keeps cranking out upgradable components (at very reasonable prices) that have to make others in the industry very nervous.
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #947 of 6,473
  Any thoughts regarding the sound quality/signature of the Jotunheim vs the Asgard 2 and/or using the Jotunheim as an amp paired with the Gungnir via their XLR outputs and inputs? I've never heard the Gungnir from it's XLR outputs.

Bifrost Multibit>SE>Asgard 2>MrSpeakers SE DUM cable>MrSpeakers Ether C Flow
vs
Bifrost Multibit>SE>Jotunheim>MrSpeakers balanced DUM cable>MrSpeakers Ether C Flow

Music: most contemporary jazz since I got the Jotunheim Friday night.

Better instrument separation, double bass is fuller, more extended, percussion attack is more precise, some roughness in louder piano passages with the Asgard 2 is gone. I think the Asgard 2 is still a great amp for the money, but the Jotunheim is at a different level. I don't know how much of this is from balanced output vs the different amp topology, but I'm enjoying this so much that I'm not going to bother testing it single-ended. The Jotunheim presents the input so clearly and authoritatively that I'm starting to wonder about going balanced all the way with a Gumby. 

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #948 of 6,473
vs
Bifrost Multibit>SE>Jotunheim>MrSpeakers balanced DUM cable>MrSpeakers Ether C Flow

...I don't know how much of this is from balanced output vs the different amp topology, but I'm enjoying this so much that I'm not going to bother testing it single-ended.

I get the enjoyment thing...but testing it via SE cable through the Jot might help answer your 'balanced' question and also provide helpful info to several of us that would be considering buying the Jot for it's balanced capabilities. Just sayin' :wink:

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #949 of 6,473
I must confess that I enjoy upgrading my Schiit gear. I swapped out the Über board for a 4490 earlier this year, sold my original Magni and bought a Magni2Ü over a year ago. A few weeks ago I sold my original Modi and replaced it with a Modi MB.

Although I'm happy with how the Magni2Ü and Bifrost 4490 combination sounds on my iMac system I'm wondering how much different the Joti (in place of the M2Ü) would sound. Power wise, single ended, I believe there isn't too much difference between them however I'm interested in knowing if the different architectures would yield different sonics.

Beyond potential sonic improvements with the Joti, I suppose further improvements might be attained if I invested in balanced cables for my HD650's. Any opinions on this "considered" upgrade? Thanks in advance!

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #950 of 6,473
Apologies if this has been covered, but a thread search was unsuccessful.

Has anyone used an (iPhone or iPad) > CCK > USB on the Jotunheim?

If so, any impressions or problems?

The CCK works great playing 24/96 files via FLAC Player.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #951 of 6,473
vs

Music: most contemporary jazz since I got the Jotunheim Friday night.

Better instrument separation, double bass is fuller, more extended, percussion attack is more precise, some roughness in louder piano passages with the Asgard 2 is gone. I think the Asgard 2 is still a great amp for the money, but the Jotunheim is at a different level. I don't know how much of this is from balanced output vs the different amp topology, but I'm enjoying this so much that I'm not going to bother testing it single-ended. The Jotunheim presents the input so clearly and authoritatively that I'm starting to wonder about going balanced all the way with a Gumby. 

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not that big into upgrading my gear at this point as I went crazy (beyond crazy) doing that in the 90's, but I do love me some new, interesting amp topologies and it would allow me to run the entire setup balanced. Maybe my oldest son would enjoy a great sounding Class A headphone amp. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #953 of 6,473

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not that big into upgrading my gear at this point as I went crazy (beyond crazy) doing that in the 90's, but I do love me some new, interesting amp topologies and it would allow me to run the entire setup balanced. Maybe my oldest son would enjoy a great sounding Class A headphone amp. 
biggrin.gif

I did it in the 80's & 90's, took it easy in the naughties, it's time again I think!

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #954 of 6,473
  Ordered Jot on Friday morning, still no shipping notice from Schiit... how long did it take for y'all to get it shipped?  Not bitching or panicking, just curious.

Ordered at 1:05 pm and shipped at 1:14 pm, middle of that first week - I think they were looking for these immediately after the show. Still it was shocking how fast it went through.

I'm sure they will get it out to you first thing Monday morning.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #955 of 6,473
So, as an old guy with hearing that can't hear anything above 15kHz, it's enough to hear significant differences between using the Jot or not. I'm wondering if someone with bad hearing like mine would hear a difference between adding a bifrost in between the source and the Jot.

Everywhere i look, people seem to have positive things to say about the bifrost, but I'm a bit concerned about spending a few c bills and hearing no difference. Does anyone happen to know of a place in the Bay Area, San Francisco to East Bay to San Jose, where it is possible to try it?

Not sure if this factors into whether i would hear any difference, but i listen to a lot of tommy flanagan, brubeck, davis, coltrane, thelonius, ellington, phineas newborn, w. bobo, floyd huddleston, dinah w., mindi abair, t. matsunaga, c. yamanaka, parker, art tatum, gillespie, armstrong etc. / vivaldi, schumer, bach, wa mozart, f mozart, poledouris, gershwin, karajan, pachelbel, prokofiev, brahms / hans zimmer, morricone, horner, e.s. posthumus, mancina, powell, williams, edelman, ernest gold, thomas newman / il divo, any of the four tenors, celine dion, aguilera, norah jones, patty griffin, adele, lauryn hill, s. vega, ray charles, marley, ub40, clapton, rush, yes, journey, floyd, sting, joel, mj, s. wonder, some opera / audiomachine, chris haig, david garrett, lindsey stirling, piano guys, bond, california guitar trio, sungha jung, david foster, ronald jenkees, t-square, chihiro yamanaka, keiko matsui, chris botti (don't judge me), kenny g (don't judge me), yanni (don't judge me), vanessa mae, michelle mclaughlin (fiddle), michael hedges, helen jane long, chen min moom, joe hisaishi / mana, peter buffett, lozada (don't judge me), dinbar, poerto rican power, santana, etc.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #956 of 6,473
Ordered mine on the Saturday they announced.  Had it shipped Fed Ex ground because I was being cheap.  Schiit shipped first thing on Monday (great customer service).  Got my tracking number.  Looked at estimated delivery date, that Friday.

Kicked myself for 5 days wishing I had done 2 day delivery.

Oh, how we get excited about receiving our new Schiit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back