Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 8, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #721 of 6,472
I brought the Joti to work today.  I wanted to check on a few things.  I was getting all kind of noise problems on SE inputs at home.  Nothing of the sort at work.  It's dead silent.  So, any initial impressions on running through my home system, I'm going to wait until I can clean up the situation in my home power.  The Joti at work is set up as follows: 

JRiver20 (Wasapi) --> USB --> Wyrd --> Modi MB --> Joti --> Oppo PM-3

It is absolutely sublime.  I can't put this down.  The regular amp I use at work is a Vali 2 w/6CG7.  Both are great.  This is way better on many fronts. It's crystal clear, has a nice punch, and isn't harsh or overly bright.  The Oppos are fantastic headphones and they work extremely well with this setup.  

Once I clean up the dirty power problem at home (I suspect ground loop or some bad ground connection somewhere), I'll post impressions with my home system.  

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #722 of 6,472
  This is a desktop amp.  Most people don't have CD players on their desktop, they have computers, so Schiit made a decision that makes sense. 

Not if you're a Mac user. Most recent Macs support Toslink through the 1/8" headphone jack, and using that doesn't tie up a USB port. It also provides complete electrical isolation between the DAC/amp and the Mac, which I consider a very important feature--especially when listening to headphones outside under a tall tree during a lightning storm!

I understand why Schiit chose to support USB first, but I would love to see them add Toslink support, either through a different card or as part of the USB DAC card.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #723 of 6,472
  It's unfortunate I might keep having dissenting opinions. To me this is not surprising in the least.

I owned the original WA7 for over a year (I used it amp only). It is the worst $1k amp I've ever heard.
From my memory of the WA7, the Jotunheim would just kill it.

That's the difference here, Jotun $400 is an exceptional amp, wa7 @ $1000 is super overpriced (in terms of SQ only).
The WA7 raw materials no doubt cost more than the Jotun, it's heavy heavy. Quite good looking too. But SQ vs SQ, Jotun every day. 

Yeah, I definitely prefer the Jotunheim, no doubt about that. I really want to hear the Jotunheim/Yggdrasil combo. Sounds like end game right there. On all three of my systems, both headphone and speaker. As for the WA7, I probably couldn't even give it away now, especially since they released a second generation, so it will probably be relegated to backup status at some point. So odd, but I actually didn't mind the combo of the WA7 and the Concero HD for some reason. So maybe I'll put them together as a backup system when all is said and done.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #724 of 6,472
I'm about to put together a 4 pin xlr to stereo 1/4 adapter to a/b the Jotunheim for some folks. Will report back in a few hours.

So I have completed my adapter cable (neutrik plugs / canare cable) The difference is subtle. There is a noticeable volume decrease on SE, and to make up for it am using the foobar volume control so that a/b is a bit more precise. I have it dialed in to -5db for balanced and -0db for SE. Using high gain for both.

First thing I notice is the air between the instruments. There is slightly better sense of space on balanced. The left/right panning is smoother on the intro to YYZ. Geddy's bass also stands out a bit more on balanced. Everything also has a bit more texture and impact on balanced. I am going to attribute most of this to the increase in power/control and not so much it being "balanced".

The differences besides volume are pretty subtle and I had to give it at least two hours of listening to make sure I was picking up all the differences.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #725 of 6,472
  Having a separate DAC and Amp kind of defeats the goal of this unit.  The only thing I would have that has USB out would be a computer and it is not near the stereo.

You could try this http://www.psaudio.com/products/lanrover-usb-transporter/ if you have a network cable near your stereo (powerline lan may work also).
If you use Jriver, Roon or foobar you can control them remotely with your phone or tablet (other may also work, but these are the ones I'm sure of).

I just don't know its price and if it is already widely available, as I know about it because I was on the list that was offered to beta test.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #726 of 6,472

I understand why Schiit chose to support USB first, but I would love to see them add Toslink support, either through a different card or as part of the current DAC card.

What I don't understand is why Schiit doesn't offer a simple RCA input card and make it the default option so that Jot owners can have a second SE input as standard.
confused.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #727 of 6,472

What I don't understand is why Schiit doesn't offer a simple RCA input card and make it the default option so that Jot owners can have a second SE input as standard.
confused.gif

I have the Jotunheim amp only.  I would have gotten a SE RCA input card.  I could have used that.

Still could hint, hint, hint...

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #730 of 6,472
  I just got mine and hooked it up. First thing I've noticed is that the pre-out doesn't mute when I plug in headphones. Is this intentional?

It appears so.  Some Schiit amps do and some don't. 

I actually prefer it when the amp doesn't mute its preouts when a headphone is plugged in, but I'm beginning to see there are many who prefer the opposite.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Of course, Jason could always design them with a switch that gives you the option to choose, as well as a switch that would let you choose between having fixed or variable preouts.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #732 of 6,472
  This is a desktop amp.  Most people don't have CD players on their desktop, they have computers, so Schiit made a decision that makes sense.  

Skip the DAC and save $100, put that and another $150 toward the Modi multibit, and you have a practically end game rig.

This is what I'd like to do, and plan to do so as funds become available.

For those of you with a Senn HD-600 or 650 and zero soldering skills, Senn does make an official balanced cable for the HD-600/650.

The cable is the Sennheiser CH 650 S. It is a bit expensive (IMO) at $240 USD, but it takes away the pain of learning how to solder, or possibly wiring something up incorrectly and damaging your gear. Just an option for those who may be interested.

I am not entirely sure if there are other third party cables that are lower cost, and they may exist as well.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #733 of 6,472

It appears so.  Some Schiit amps do and some don't. 

I actually prefer it when the amp doesn't mute its preouts when a headphone is plugged in, but I'm beginning to see there are many who prefer the opposite.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Of course, Jason could always design them with a switch that gives you the option to choose, as well as a switch that would let you choose between having fixed or variable preouts.
wink.gif

Honestly, just a mute button for the pre-outs would help tremendously, especially with XLR outs like these. I don't know of an easy solution to mute my speakers when I'm listening to headphones. So I'm faced with (a) finding some sort of XLR pre that lets me toggle them (b) switching to SE pre-outs and running them through a SYS (c) getting up, walking to each speaker and fumbling for the switch in the back to toggle power every time I switch or (d) returning the Jotun.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #735 of 6,472

Wished I had done that - already ordered (and it has shipped) with internal ($100) DAC - Yuck!

Just so you know, the internal DAC, for 100 bucks, is worth every penny of that and more IMO. While it's not multibit, it's still a good DAC. I got my Jotunheim with the internal DAC, and I'm glad I did. While I save for the end game Yggy, this DAC definitely does the job, and is a huge step up from the m-audiophile 2496 sound card I was using prior. In fact, some students were talking about how good the system sounds now, and that's with the Jotunheim's internal DAC! Once I get a Yggy, it will be nice to know I have a backup DAC in the Jotunheim, a "pinch hitter" as it where. In case the Yggy needs to go in for service, for an update, ect. All in all, IMO 100 bucks well spent.

-edit- I do have a mimby as well, but it's at home, trying it's best to make the WA7 sound halfways decent through headphones, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back