Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #706 of 6,472
  They call it a DAC yet it has no connection for SPDIF or TOSLINK .  Pretty worthless if I can not hook up any of my digital sources.

Your situation is less than usual nowadays I'd wager - digital audio is more often than not associated with computer audio, at least as far as I'm aware, and USB is by far the most dominant connection in that case. In this day and age if you only have space for one type or can only choose one for whichever reason(s), USB is definitely the way to go to be honest, and Schiit are aware of that.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #707 of 6,472
Having a separate DAC and Amp kind of defeats the goal of this unit.  The only thing I would have that has USB out would be a computer and it is not near the stereo.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #708 of 6,472
  Having a separate DAC and Amp kind of defeats the goal of this unit.  The only thing I would have that has USB out would be a computer and it is not near the stereo.

It may defeat the purpose for you, but apparently not for many as it is flying off the shelves. They couldn't please everyone and keep it at its size and price point.

I'm personally bummed it doesn't accommodate 8-track tape cartridges !!!

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #709 of 6,472
If USB is handled correctly, it is fast enough to transfer all digital signals in audio more efficiently than other connections. 480MB per second will always be the best way to transfer DSD and DXD. With a good cable and receivers (USB Inputs) you can easily get sound quality on par with the best digital cables / connections available. USB is a great way to transfer digital audio and using an old laptop one can achieve sound quality that only an expensive CD transport just 5 years or so ago could achieve. I believe Schiit made the correct decision to place a USB on this unit.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #710 of 6,472

The computer is part of the stereo system for a practically infinite amount of people - Schiit have also said they are big apologists of music streaming which is all done through devices with USB outs. Computers, DAPs, dedicated music servers, phones, tablets, everything, in my opinion there's no reason at all to choose S/PDIF and such over something with such wide outreach as USB.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #711 of 6,472
  They call it a DAC yet it has no connection for SPDIF or TOSLINK .  Pretty worthless if I can not hook up any of my digital sources.

Yep, and I got a short "No." via email when I asked if they planned on making one.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #713 of 6,472
  This is a desktop amp.  Most people don't have CD players on their desktop, they have computers, so Schiit made a decision that makes sense.  

Skip the DAC and save $100, put that and another $150 toward the Modi multibit, and you have a practically end game rig.

Grab some silver Lightdims for the Mimby, though, or you will start attracting UFOs.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #714 of 6,472

Has this been answered yet?  I too am interested in how [Bifrost 4490 -> single-ended -> Jotunheim] compares to the Jotunheim's 4490 in balanced configuration.

I have both in front of me but I have a cold at the moment and my ears aren't working right haha. Quick impressions the Bifrost was a slight bit fuller and more detailed but I'll have to spend some time when I'm not sick to really tell. Testing using my Lime Ears Aether.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #715 of 6,472
I moved my Jotunheim to the office, and I really miss it on my headphone rig! The mimby into the wa7 is ok, but not like the Jotunheim. What a cool amp! It's about time to order another one lol.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #716 of 6,472
I'm about to put together a 4 pin xlr to stereo 1/4 adapter to a/b the Jotunheim for some folks. Will report back in a few hours.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #717 of 6,472
I moved my Jotunheim to the office, and I really miss it on my headphone rig! The mimby into the wa7 is ok, but not like the Jotunheim. What a cool amp! It's about time to order another one lol.

You know something's wrong when a Modi MB into the WA7 becomes "ok", LOL. Should be a couple weeks till I receive mine as I've just ordered it yesterday, can't wait.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #718 of 6,472

Then I guess you'd better use a different DAC.

EDIT:  Err, I see others have already commented on this.  My bad.  Could'a sworn I refreshed my browser before commenting.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #719 of 6,472

You know something's wrong when a Modi MB into the WA7 becomes "ok", LOL. Should be a couple weeks till I receive mine as I've just ordered it yesterday, can't wait.

It's unfortunate I might keep having dissenting opinions. To me this is not surprising in the least.

I owned the original WA7 for over a year (I used it amp only). It is the worst $1k amp I've ever heard.
From my memory of the WA7, the Jotunheim would just kill it.

That's the difference here, Jotun $400 is an exceptional amp, wa7 @ $1000 is super overpriced (in terms of SQ only).
The WA7 raw materials no doubt cost more than the Jotun, it's heavy heavy. Quite good looking too. But SQ vs SQ, Jotun every day. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #720 of 6,472
The excitement about this amp is palpable. Is it crazy that I'm considering ordering one, to go with my yet to be delivered Beyer T1s, before I even hear them paired with my ancient ASL MG Head Mk II amp (Sony HAP S-1 as a source)???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back