How did I crap on anything?

"I can say at $400 it's an exceptional amp"
"I love it, @ $400"

Also this:

"There are $1k-2k amps that would outperform it"

Does not equal

"Any $1k-2k amps would outperform it"

Two very different statements.
First and foremost, nothing is objective in the audio world.
I would just trying to convey, that I'm not pumping up the Jotunheim hype train, because it's my only piece of gear.

I was trying to say, I have other amps I can use, I can take/leave the Jotunheim at any time. I don't need to like it, I don't need to not like it. I'm impartial to how good it is, is what I was trying to say.

With that said, I still stand behind the things I've said.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #677 of 6,469
Just when I think I understand, I take a step back.

How does an unbalanced DAC (like a Bifrost) going into a Jotie with balanced output work? You'd get the same power output as if the DAC was balanced, correct? Is it really "balanced" then?

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #678 of 6,469
  How did I crap on anything?

I don't know how you could possibly misunderstand/misinterpret what he said.

I don't know the Ragnarok, but if the performance is like any of my other similarly priced amps, it would crap on the Jotun.

He wasn't implying you crapped on anything. He was quoting you ipsis verbis. I'm dumbfounded.

PS: I'm neutral on the subject, I understand your intentions were not to put the Jotunheim down but I agree with Merrick's views.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #679 of 6,469
Just when I think I understand, I take a step back.

How does an unbalanced DAC (like a Bifrost) going into a Jotie with balanced output work? You'd get the same power output as if the DAC was balanced, correct? Is it really "balanced" then?

Most inherently balanced amplifiers have a phase splitter on single ended inputs to present a balanced signal to the amp. The Jotunheim is a new topology that doesn't require that step. I'm not sure as the topology is Schiit's own thing now. So, input signal gets balance-fied and fed to the amp and then goes to the output. Most balanced amps must take a balanced signal and run through a summer circuit to get to single ended output. The Jotunheim apparently doesn't need that either. It can just take one leg of the output and go straight unbalanced.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #685 of 6,469
Any recommendations on my post re a balanced headphone recondition. Feeling ignored, no love :wink:

First, please proofread before you hit post :)

Here's my recommendation. Don't buy a balanced headphone just 'cus you have a balanced amp. Buy a headphone you like. If it has a detachable cable, then you can upgrade the cable later if you feel you must. It takes a pretty trained ear to distinguish the difference between SE and balanced output, so unless you are one of those types, don't sweat that for now.

As for the balanced DAC input, for those that are confused, it's also another thing you should not worry about unless you are total audiophile and have really well trained ears. Even then, I doubt most audiophiles could tell the difference between volume leveled balanced vs unbalanced DAC input. 

Also, don't be confused between balanced input and balanced output. Balanced input (say between a DAC and an amp) is all about the difference between the + and - voltages, and then a ground. That type of balanced cable was designed to reduce interference over long runs, like at a concert between the mIc and a soundboard, or between the amps and speakers. Your DAC will likely sit very near to your amp, so there is not likely to be any EMI. DACs can product higher output for balanced cables since the EMI is handled by the cable better, so a balanced DAC may sound louder; not necessarily better. Since the Jodie has plenty of power, most people (possibly no one) will miss the extra few db one gets from a balanced DAC connection.

Bottom line, get a good headphone with a detachable cable, and use SE it with the DAC and don't worry about balanced unless you have the money to spend on gear. All things being equal, a balanced headphone cable really only adds a tiny fraction to the enjoyment of listening. After all, it's all about the enjoyment of listening, right?

Of course a good part of this hobby for many is simply buying and trying new things. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #686 of 6,469
Allanmarcus, sory about the typos, composing off of my phone, it auto spell corrects poorly and my fat fingers aren't as adept at typing on a phone screen, as my teenagers, sorry again.

Thanks for your knowledge advice, the forums are all lit up about the new Schiit amp, one of the features they extols is the balanced capability. You say, don't stress it, so I'll take that advice and save the money. I'm definitely an enthusiast, but don't have the deep pockets of an audiophile. I always believe investing money in quality to be appreciated in the long run, is what the definition OF VALUE is
First, please proofread before you hit post :)

Here's my recommendation. Don't buy a balanced headphone just 'cus you have a balanced amp. Buy a headphone you like. If it has a detachable cable, then you can upgrade the cable later if you feel you must. It takes a pretty trained ear to distinguish the difference between SE and balanced output, so unless you are one of those types, don't sweat that for now.

As for the balanced DAC input, for those that are confused, it's also another thing you should not worry about unless you are total audiophile and have really well trained ears. Even then, I doubt most audiophiles could tell the difference between volume leveled balanced vs unbalanced DAC input. 

Also, don't be confused between balanced input and balanced output. Balanced input (say between a DAC and an amp) is all about the difference between the + and - voltages, and then a ground. That type of balanced cable was designed to reduce interference over long runs, like at a concert between the mIc and a soundboard, or between the amps and speakers. Your DAC will likely sit very near to your amp, so there is not likely to be any EMI. DACs can product higher output for balanced cables since the EMI is handled by the cable better, so a balanced DAC may sound louder; not necessarily better. Since the Jodie has plenty of power, most people (possibly no one) will miss the extra few db one gets from a balanced DAC connection.

Bottom line, get a good headphone with a detachable cable, and use SE it with the DAC and don't worry about balanced unless you have the money to spend on gear. All things being equal, a balanced headphone cable really only adds a tiny fraction to the enjoyment of listening. After all, it's all about the enjoyment of listening, right?

Of course a good part of this hobby for many is simply

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #687 of 6,469
Allanmarcus, sory about the typos, composing off of my phone, it auto spell corrects poorly and my fat fingers aren't as adept at typing on a phone screen, as my teenagers, sorry again.

Thanks for your knowledge advice, the forums are all lit up about the new Schiit amp, one of the features they extols is the balanced capability. You say, don't stress it, so I'll take that advice and save the money. I'm definitely an enthusiast, but don't have the deep pockets of an audiophile. I always believe investing money in quality to be appreciated in the long run, is what the definition OF VALUE is

The Jodie is quite possibly the end game value amp to get, as moving up from the Jodie may require $1000 or more. There is, a lot of excitement about this amp, and some hype, but most well deserved. Given what I've read here and other places, the Jodie is a great all around SS amp, and will drive pretty much anything well. Getting some good single ended headphones and a Jodie and you will be set for a while. If the upgraditis bug hits, you can spend money on a DAC, cables, and more better headphones and likely still be right on the money with Jodie.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #688 of 6,469
So am I. I'm interested to hear how it compares as they are around the same price point.

I think the answer is going to be "different" for a wide range of headphones I think the lyr might be the better buy because balance cables are spendy and you could get a better amp than joti after factoring in all the balance whatevers. I also read the joti doesn't do too hot with brighter headphones. But we will wait for an owner of both to chime in, would be interesting to hear the view of a project ember 2 owner as it's also the lyr 2 competition.

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #690 of 6,469
Any recommendations on my post re a balanced headphone recondition. Feeling ignored, no love :wink:

I am using the HD650 with a stock cable I re-terminated in 4-pin XLR. It is a fantastic pairing and I wrote several impressions of the combo in this thread. You can buy a Neutrik 4-pin XLR male for $8-$10 and an extra stock 650 cable for $20-$25, use some soldering skills and you're good to go. The HD650 cables the red is right+ and green is left+, copper is negative. To solder the HD650 cables you have to get the wire pretty hot (but not too hot or you will burn up the copper) to melt off the laquer on the wires. You will know its melted off when the solder on the tip of your iron absorbs into the wire. Here is the image I used to solder my XLR on and it worked out great. You dont use the shield ground for the headphone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back