Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 7, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #661 of 6,469
  May someone please compare it (with DAC module) to iFi Micro iDSD ?

Based on my memory (haven't had the idsd in about three months), I'd give the edge to the idsd when it comes to overall sonics of the dac alone. The Jodie trounces the idsd when just comparing the amp. Jodie and idsd both have impressive power but overall the Jodie has more control and refinement of that power when it comes to transmitting it to the driver. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #662 of 6,469

There may be better amps for different headphones, but as an all around amp it is exceptional.

Guess I'll chime in after 20 pages of hype.

There are better amps for your headphones (the Elear).
I've been listening to Jotun for over a week now (got it last Tuesday), my impressions are still the same.

There are $1k-2k amps that would outperform it, and $2-$4k amps that would outperform those in turn.

I don't own any < $1k amps, so I can't say how the Jotun stacks up against its peers.
I can say at $400 it's an exceptional amp, but there are many options that are better for more $$.

I saw someone comparing the Jotun to the Ragnarok, saying the Jotun was better....
Just because you own it, doesn't mean you have to comparemtalize for yourself why it's better than anything on the market.
I don't know the Ragnarok, but if the performance is like any of my other similarly priced amps, it would crap on the Jotun.

Just looking at this objectively, I own the Jotun to. I love it, @ $400. Just posting this so any head high-end head-fi'ers can get a different take. 

I don't believe I said it was better than anything out there.  I said it was a good all around amp.  Some amps I have owned sounded good with some headphones and not with others.  So far I have not found that to be the case with the Jot.  Hifiman he 560, 400s, Akg K812, Audeze el8, Sennhieser hd 650 & 700 Fostex thx00, Audioquest Nighthawk have all sounded wonderful.  Generally speaking the more you spend the better the quality, I don't believe I made any claims otherwise.  In response to how it compared to the Modi2/Magni2.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #663 of 6,469

Just starting listening to my Focal Elears on the Jotunheim.  Wow, this combination is fantastic.  Very dynamic, plenty of detail and really punchy.  I just haven't found a headphone I don't like the Jotunheim with yet.  There may be better amps for different headphones, but as an all around amp it is exceptional.

was that with the DAC card and in balanced or single ended?

Internal DAC and single ended.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #666 of 6,469
Taking bets on less than 2 years until there's a Jotunheim Multibit DAC module :wink:

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #669 of 6,469
Man I hope they can find a way to cram it in there.  Multibit Jot.  That would be sweet!

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #671 of 6,469
It could bulge out the back like a goiter 
dt880smile.png

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #673 of 6,469
  Taking bets on less than 2 years until there's a Jotunheim Multibit DAC module :wink:

The make a multibit DAC module for the Jot. It's external and it's called a Mimby.

:)

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #674 of 6,469
Balanced headphone recommendations for this amp ? I want to purchase a new headphone to pair with this amp. There aren't to many options Sony, Just and Send have a couple of under 1K offerings. Only the new Sennheiser HD800S seems to actually come with the cable though...Less expensive balanced " Capable " cans seem to require spending an additional 200 - 300 for a cable...when you add that on top of say the cost of the HD700, you're not far off from the much better HD800S...Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #675 of 6,469
  Guess I'll chime in after 20 pages of hype.

There are better amps for your headphones (the Elear).
I've been listening to Jotun for over a week now (got it last Tuesday), my impressions are still the same.

There are $1k-2k amps that would outperform it, and $2-$4k amps that would outperform those in turn.

I don't own any < $1k amps, so I can't say how the Jotun stacks up against its peers.
I can say at $400 it's an exceptional amp, but there are many options that are better for more $$.

I saw someone comparing the Jotun to the Ragnarok, saying the Jotun was better....
Just because you own it, doesn't mean you have to comparemtalize for yourself why it's better than anything on the market.
I don't know the Ragnarok, but if the performance is like any of my other similarly priced amps, it would crap on the Jotun.

Just looking at this objectively, I own the Jotun to. I love it, @ $400. Just posting this so any head high-end head-fi'ers can get a different take. 

And just because you own more expensive amps doesn't meant you have to rationalize for yourself why those "crap all over" the Jotunheim. It goes both ways. Lots of people with uber-expensive gear claim it sounds great--even if it sometimes doesn't!. No one likes to be taken for a ride at any price point, so if someone has spent a lot of money on gear, of course they're going to defend it, especially against something that "merely" costs $400. If this amp came out at $2,000 in a Ragnarok sized chassis, people would be calling it a TOTL amp without hesitation. That's not to say it's the best amp ever made or the best amp currently in production, simply that it's a very powerful, very versatile amp that has the ability to pump out just what it's being fed, and doing so in a way that retains the musicality of the source. And the price is a red herring.

One last quibble, you keep using the word objectively and then follow it up with your subjective impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back