Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #526 of 6,469
  This is what I wanted to hear.  I have a Jodie coming in and use 64 Audio U8 and have been using the UE line buffer as every amp I've tried ( Carbon, 10ES2, Ember) all give varying degrees of amp noise.  

This is one of the main reasons I purchased the Jodie as I get amp noise from my A12's (currently back for a refit) with my Violectric V281 and Lyr 2 (and the U3's) but surprisingly it's not a problem with the U6's on the V281. I'll have my A12's back late next week and then will give them a try with the Jodie, but as the U3's are noisier than the A12's I'm expecting them to fine with it.

*As nice as the Jodie is it will not be displacing my V281 :) - It's background is completely silent with all my full size headphones and it's excellent with the U6's as well.
(Jodie is just adding another option and something that I think will work well for my sensitive IEM's, especially when listening to music with quiet passages). 

I also tried the Buffer Jack and while it took care of the noise, it also seemed to have a slightly negative impact on sound quality. iFi may have a solution for this coming out, and if so I may be able to move my Jodie to another listening location for work.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #527 of 6,469

This is one of the main reasons I purchased the Jodie as I get amp noise from my A12's (currently back for a refit) with my Violectric V281 and Lyr 2 (and the U3's) but surprisingly it's not a problem with the U6's on the V281. I'll have my A12's back late next week and then will give them a try with the Jodie, but as the U3's are noisier than the A12's I'm expecting them to fine with it.

*As nice as the Jodie is it will not be displacing my V281 :) - It's background is completely silent with all my full size headphones and it's excellent with the U6's as well.
(Jodie is just adding another option and something that I think will work well for my sensitive IEM's, especially when listening to music with quiet passages). 

I also tried the Buffer Jack and while it took care of the noise, it also seemed to have a slightly negative impact on sound quality. iFi may have a solution for this coming out, and if so I may be able to move my Jodie to another listening location for work.

I"ve really been interested in a V281. I really wish I could try one with my setups. But at 2K it's kind out out of the realm of possibility for now. That said, the Jotunheim is really kicking ass. I wish I could have a shootout with the v281. Gosh.

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #528 of 6,469

Oh, that's not good at all...my wallet is not happy right now.

Regarding listening to speakers, did you have any problems with it? I remember reading that someone had some clicks or pops while using it as a preamp, if I recall correctly the balanced outputs were being used and the problems occurred while changing sources. But I'm also curious about turn on thump while using speakers, as I had similar problems with the Vali 2 and Valhalla 2.

I don't think the minor pops/clicks when switching input source will be a problem. I haven't tried it with external monitors but with headphones it's not very noticeable at all and I wouldn't anticipate it being an issue for anyone.

The main thing to remember is not to crank up the volume when turning on the Jodie until it has fully started, it's definitely not instant.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #529 of 6,469
Just trying to get a grip on the Pivot Point jargon, is this a current domain amp like the Questyle?

Well ok. Ordered it out of curiosity.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #530 of 6,469
I don't think the minor pops/clicks when switching input source will be a problem. I haven't tried it with external monitors but with headphones it's not very noticeable at all and I wouldn't anticipate it being an issue for anyone.

The main thing to remember is not to crank up the volume when turning on the Jodie until it has fully started, it's definitely not instant.

The pops And thump problems I had only affected speakers. I had no issues while using only headphones.
This is one thing I love about the Musical Fidelity M1HPAp, I can turn it on with volume up and the power amp already on and I have absolutely no pop or thump. I know this is something one should never do, but sometimes I forgot to turn the speaker amp off and just turned the headphone amp/pre on.
With the Vali 2 I had to be extra careful, but I had two or three times of fear during start up. The Valhalla presented pops while already on for some time with no music reproduction, and this was sad as I really liked it's performance as a preamplifier.

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #531 of 6,469
Having heard the Momby and Bimby compared against the internal DAC, I agree that the multibit implementation is going to make a bigger difference in the overall sound quality than the single factor of balanced versus single ended.

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #533 of 6,469
  Any Ragnarok owners out there planning to order or otherwise spend time with a Jot? Would love to hear how the two compare.

My opinion - Ragnarok sounds ever so slightly polite in comparison to the Jotunheim, and this using the HE-1000 headphones and Yggdrasil as source. It feels like there is something getting between me and the Yggdrasil source sound when playing through the Rag. Jot does not have this issue, and the sound is just full-impact Yggy.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #534 of 6,469
  Ok, i have to make a disclaimer here, I've been drinking lots of beer 
beerchug.gif

That said, I've never heard either DAC, the Mimby or the Concero HD sound this good, as they have plugged into the Jotunheim.

1) Don't drink and post, you maniac! 
eek.gif

2) Ok, this is a stupid question, but can you get away with stacking the Mimby on top of the Jotu, as long as you stay clear of any vents? I know it sounds trivial, but some of us are trivial people.. Could you give it a go, and maybe report back if temps were OK, and everything was happy? A picture or two would really help too, as I can't visualise it..

(Obviously the DAC is normally underneath, but it wouldn't work out in this case.. and I do love a neat stack!)

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #536 of 6,469
 1) Don't drink and post, you maniac! :eek:

2) Ok, this is a stupid question, but can you get away with stacking the Mimby on top of the Jotu, as long as you stay clear of any vents? I know it sounds trivial, but some of us are trivial people.. Could you give it a go, and maybe report back if temps were OK, and everything was happy? A picture or two would really help too, as I can't visualise it..

(Obviously the DAC is normally underneath, but it wouldn't work out in this case.. and I do love a neat stack!)

Just for grins I stacked the Momby on top of the Jodie when I first got it, and while it looked ok and was only over the vent by about 1/4 inch, with the SYS in there to switch between the Jodie and my speakers it was too tall to fit under my monitor, and it looked silly with 2 small boxes on top. With just the Momby it looked fine though.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #538 of 6,469
Which one did you prefer and what are the pros and cons between them? @Merrick
Currently deciding between upgradingy bifrost or buying Mombi.

My $0.02 - If you already have a Bifrost, I don't see any advantage to buying Mimby over doing the multibit upgrade. All the multibit parts are going to be the same, but the Bifrost has a better power situation since there's more room to work with.

Unless you want to downsize and have a smaller footprint on the desk or you want to sell the Bifrost to fund the Mimby purchase and potentially save a little money, I don't really see any reason not to upgrade the Bifrost.  (Plus, you'd retain the option to upgrade the Bifrost again down the line if @Baldr comes up with another innovation for it.)

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #539 of 6,469
Just for grins I stacked the Momby on top of the Jodie when I first got it, and while it looked ok and was only over the vent by about 1/4 inch, with the SYS in there to switch between the Jodie and my speakers it was too tall to fit under my monitor, and it looked silly with 2 small boxes on top. With just the Momby it looked fine though.

Darnit, pictures! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back