Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 29, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #241 of 6,473
Lost count of how many times some of us have asked/wished for an integrated (yet modular) balanced dac inside our headphone amps. Btw, we also  asked for the amp to be balanced and there aren't many small, affordable, high-powered, balanced headphone amps.

Now that one is finally here, I can't believe some of the comments about the Jot's dac section. No way an optional $99, dual AKM chip, fully-balanced dac should be considered so little value.

Chassis is far too small for even an SE R2R dac (much less balanced) and DS chips are still being used all the time because the implementation is most important (even the Senn HE 1 uses a single ESS chip).

So, unless the actual sound the dac module puts out is terrible compared to totl external dacs, I don't understand how its anything less than a good option. Maybe Schiit should have given the dac a higher price to avoid it be valued (initially) solely on the $ attached to it.

When folks emtionally look at the price of the DAC card, they think it must inherently be a low cost DAC, so it must not perform well.

We must remember the cost is low in integrated applications because the DAC card already has a case and power supply included.

The other benefits of integrated is you need one less set of interconnects, a smaller form factor and only one on and off switch to worry about.

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #242 of 6,473
Has anyone seen specs of what sample rates etc the DAC module will accept? What about DSD? Can't see any of this info on the site....

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #243 of 6,473
When folks emtionally look at the price of the DAC card, they think it must inherently be a low cost DAC, so it must not perform well.

We must remember the cost is low in integrated applications because the DAC card already has a case and power supply included.

The other benefits of integrated is you need one less set of interconnects, a smaller form factor and only one on and off switch to worry about.

You can also consider that the DAC has only USB input and that Schiit already makes most of its markup on the cost of the main amp unit so they probably don't need to set the price of the DAC too high.

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #244 of 6,473
Can the Joty act solely as an external DAC? I'm hoping it can be used both as a combined amp/DAC for my HD650 and just a DAC for my Stax electrostatic system which requires its own amp. The small size is an advantage so it can be moved easily.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #245 of 6,473
Can the Joty act solely as an external DAC? I'm hoping it can be used both as a combined amp/DAC for my HD650 and just a DAC for my Stax electrostatic system which requires its own amp. The small size is an advantage so it can be moved easily.

We believe it can be, but you may have to unplug headphones from the Joti to use it as a DAC through the pre-outs. Also, the volume on the Joti controls the power out to the pre-outs. There doesn't appear to be a fixed output option.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #246 of 6,473

You can also consider that the DAC has only USB input and that Schiit already makes most of its markup on the cost of the main amp unit so they probably don't need to set the price of the DAC too high.

That and perhaps the topology was already done with the Fulla development.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #247 of 6,473
  Has anyone seen specs of what sample rates etc the DAC module will accept? What about DSD? Can't see any of this info on the site....

All I see is that it uses 2 chips in a balanced config... I guess one per channel...

"AK4490 DAC Module. Jotunheim’s optional DAC module uses two AK4490 DACs in a hardware-balanced configuration, with a passive-filtered output stage and asynchronous USB Gen 2 input."

It should have enough get up and go to do DSD...

Peace...
L3000.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #249 of 6,473
Aug 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #250 of 6,473

All I see is that it uses 2 chips in a balanced config... I guess one per channel...

"AK4490 DAC Module. Jotunheim’s optional DAC module uses two AK4490 DACs in a hardware-balanced configuration, with a passive-filtered output stage and asynchronous USB Gen 2 input."

It should have enough get up and go to do DSD...

Peace...
L3000.gif

Given Schiit's published feelings toward DSD and the fact its one of the few products they have pulled off the market (Loki) I don't see DSD being applicable to this unit.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #251 of 6,473

The Jot dac module is usb powered (and only has usb input) just like the Fulla and base Modi which both have metal casings and outputs yet cost the same or less. The Fulla is $20 less and still has a headphone amp with rotary volume control.

So Schiit, compared to other companies, could charge whatever they wanted and we'd still have little to complain about.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #252 of 6,473
The Jot dac module is usb powered (and only has usb input) just like the Fulla and base Modi which both have metal casings and outputs yet cost the same or less. The Fulla is $20 less and still has a headphone amp with rotary volume control.

So Schiit, compared to other companies, could charge whatever they wanted and we'd still have little to complain about.

Correct but since they don't have to also do a case and such for it they can pack more into the card for the same price. I figure if they did a case to make the dac card a standalone it would run in the 150 to 200 range instead of just 100.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #253 of 6,473
Got a shipping notification for my Jotunheim, cant wait to try the HD650s balanced. I'll have to re-terminate one of my cables to 4 pin xlr though. Wednesday cant come soon enough!

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #254 of 6,473
I've asked many times, but still not sure of the functionality. Does having a headphone plugged in (either balanced or SE) cut out the pre-outs? Is the volume fixed or variable with the pre-outs? You sound like you know the answers.

According to Nick at Schiit Audio, plugging in headphones does NOT mute the preamp outputs.  

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #255 of 6,473
Does anyone know when it´s going to be available on schiit-europe.com? I am sold already...... the only caveat is that I´d like to have both implemented now, DAC AND Phono-preamp :D

BTW the AK4490 is used also in the Astell&Kern AK300 (and the Dual-DAC in the AK320 and AK380 correspondingly) as well as in the Luxury&Precision L5Pro, it´s a sublime DAC-Chip!

Schiit would have to screw up the implementation royally to....... wait ..... what was I about to say again? :ph34r:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back