Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 28, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #211 of 6,472
I wouldn't just assume the 4490 module will sound like a 4490 Bifrost. It's more about the implementation then the actual chip.

Similar? Sure it's possible... But it's more about how Schiit has chosen to integrate the chip into the system. The actual Dac chip probably doesn't cost Schiit more than 2 or 3 dollars each.

That being said this product appears to bring a lot of bang for the buck. I'm excited to hear it.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #212 of 6,472
Come on folks NO ONE accused the DAC of been a slouch. That's one person misinterpretation of my post. I certainly never said or implied any such thing.

The May very well be great, but it's integrated, even if it is modular. For years Schiit trained us to want components. There is room for integrated (most probably prefer integrated), but you can't easily swap it out with another DAC. That's the inherent difference between integrated and separates.

Internal modular audiophile hasn't taken off for a reason, and not because companies haven't tried.

To be extremely clear. The $100 DAC option is a great value. There is not reason to continue to say it's not a slouch. No one said it was.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #213 of 6,472
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Asgard now. A Jotunheim minus the expansion slot?

I hope all the chassis designs get rid of the visible screws, but I'm not a fan of the L-bend as much as the U-bend.

They've constantly added features though:
Pre outs
Switchable gain
Muting relays
Is this the first of switchable balanced?

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #214 of 6,472
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Asgard now. A Jotunheim minus the expansion slot?

I hope all the chassis designs get rid of the visible screws, but I'm not a fan of the L-bend as much as the U-bend.

Nothing will happen to Asgard as it remains the only pure Class A amplifier in the lineup, while being $150 cheaper.

I also don't like the L-bend. It looks too Modi/Magni-esque to me.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #217 of 6,472
Newb question: If I were to buy a little 6 inch cable with a termination of a male 4 pin balanced xlr (to plug into the Joti) and the other end terminated in a 6.3mm female port (so I could just plug my SE terminated cans into it), would I get full power output/ benefits of the balanced headphone amp jack? I really want to take advantage of that power without recabling several cans. 

I have been eyeing a Modi Multi Bit for some time to pair with my G109A, but this has more power and would match perfectly in its standard silver. The Modi's silver with the G109's gold and black would grate on me I think--always plasti-dip I guess.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #218 of 6,472
  So, unless the actual sound the dac module puts out is terrible compared to totl external dacs, I don't understand how its anything less than a good option. Maybe Schiit should have given the dac a higher price to avoid it be valued (initially) solely on the $ attached to it.

Some people will always find a way to see anything that is shy of perfect as something that should be improved upon rather than as an achievement (that could potentially be improved later). It's a shame.

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #219 of 6,472
  Newb question: If I were to buy a little 6 inch cable with a termination of a male 4 pin balanced xlr (to plug into the Joti) and the other end terminated in a 6.3mm female port (so I could just plug my SE terminated cans into it), would I get full power output/ benefits of the balanced headphone amp jack? I really want to take advantage of that power without recabling several cans. 

I have been eyeing a Modi Multi Bit for some time to pair with my G109A, but this has more power and would match perfectly in its standard silver. The Modi's silver with the G109's gold and black would grate on me I think--always plasti-dip I guess.

from: https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-headphone-cables

"You can not convert a Single ended Headphone to balanced. This will damage your balanced headphone amp as the grounds are tied."

Another link that may prove (un)helpful :wink:
https://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #220 of 6,472
I wouldn't just assume the 4490 module will sound like a 4490 Bifrost. It's more about the implementation then the actual chip.

Similar? Sure it's possible... But it's more about how Schiit has chosen to integrate the chip into the system. The actual Dac chip probably doesn't cost Schiit more than 2 or 3 dollars each.

That being said this product appears to bring a lot of bang for the buck. I'm excited to hear it.

True. But Schiit seems like one of the few companies trying to avoid boutique pricing (which I hope continues). Total cost of the module (including the chips, board, labor, tooling, etc.) might be less than $40. But instead of pricing it at $400 they simply ask $99. Not bad for their growing engineering prowess and higher U.S. labor costs. They even go the extra mile to explain the higher, triple-digit costs of each chip inside their 4-figure multibit dacs. Hard to say the Yggy is overpriced when you know the dac chips alone cost $800 (from memory; correct me if this is wrong).

Come on folks NO ONE accused the DAC of been a slouch. That's one person misinterpretation of my post. I certainly never said or implied any such thing.

The May very well be great, but it's integrated, even if it is modular. For years Schiit trained us to want components. There is room for integrated (most probably prefer integrated), but you can't easily swap it out with another DAC. That's the inherent difference between integrated and separates.

Internal modular audiophile hasn't taken off for a reason, and not because companies haven't tried.

To be extremely clear. The $100 DAC option is a great value. There is not reason to continue to say it's not a slouch. No one said it was.

I didn't mean to imply you said anything bad about the dac. In fact, you were replying to someone else's post about that. I should have quoted them instead but the word 'value' in yours caught my attention.

Agreed, modularity hasn't taken off but mostly because companies who market them don't follow up on their promises. But Schiit seems different; like the Bifrost multibit upgrade. Was great to see that for those who already owned an AKM version. It's like Schiit knew the leftover AKM modules might lose some value but they just didn't care.

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #221 of 6,472

Haha. I just ordered a 22oz can of Plasti Dip yesterday for another project.......

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #222 of 6,472
This is such great value for anyone who's looking for an all in one. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #223 of 6,472
True. But Schiit seems like one of the few companies trying to avoid boutique pricing (which I hope continues). Total cost of the module (including the chips, board, labor, tooling, etc.) might be less than $40. But instead of pricing it at $400 they simply ask $99. Not bad for their growing engineering prowess and higher U.S. labor costs. They even go the extra mile to explain the higher, triple-digit costs of each chip inside their 4-figure multibit dacs. Hard to say the Yggy is overpriced when you know the dac chips alone cost $800 (from memory; correct me if this is wrong).

I was by no means taking a dig at Schiit by stating the Dac chip price, my point was the cost and quality of the Dac is in everything else surrounding the chip.

Totally agree with your points they are to be commended for their efforts and pricing, as well as the quality of their products. I'd also add they were excellent with a magni repair I had a year or so back.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #224 of 6,472
The expansion module is interesting. Personally I'd never buy the $99 DAC card though -- I'd just get a modi. He hints at other cards coming (DSD?) or maybe even something like a tuner or Bluetooth module? I'll have to keep an eye on this.

@jude No pics of the new feet??

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #225 of 6,472
Seems like an home run for the price. If I had missed out on the Liquid Carbon, I would be grabbing one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back