Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 2, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #3,602 of 6,469
Jotunheim with DAC unit doesn't work on my laptops (2 Dell, 1 Asus). Installed Schiit_USB_1_03 driver on Windows 10. I have checked and tried ALL the volume setting, disable enhancement, etc.

I'm not happy with Jotunheim as it's not working on laptops and the tech support is the real ****. The tech support didn't care about anything by just repeatedly replied with dumb answers or just no response at all.

Uggh, I feel sorry for those tech support guys having to support Windoze.  The number of possible causes to a problem are endless, and troubleshooting can be really time consuming.  Even in a well-controlled corporate environment it's tough, but in the wild west of home computers where people could have done lord-knows-what to their PCs, it's a total horror show.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #3,605 of 6,469
Zoozooka can you tell us what device manager says you're audio inputs/output says?  I had some trouble initially getting the correct Schiit driver to install on my laptop.  Here's what it should look like for the Jot.  

Here's my screenshot. I think it's properly installed. Tried to disable the other playback devices and microphone, doesn't fix the low volume issue

UvawD6X.png

JXFLzLU.png

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #3,606 of 6,469
Is your laptop very old with usb 2.0 only?

My desktop is very old with usb 2.0 ports. Jot works fine with the desktop

My laptops got usb 3.0 (xHCI) and that might be the cause of Jot not working properly

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #3,607 of 6,469
I don't have the Jotunheim with DAC, mine is amp only, but I have had 3 different schiit dacs and all of them work fine from usb 2.0 and 3.0 from both my laptop and desktop. Both are high end machines though. The point is that it's not the dacs fault, it's your laptop. The fact that it works fine from your desktop is proof enough of that. Get a powered usb hub and that should fix your problem with the laptop.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #3,609 of 6,469
Awesome amp. Just got it last night. Good size for my desktop setup. Really am enjoying the pairing with the Explorer 2 and Tidal-MQA. Fun!

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #3,611 of 6,469
Got some very useful tipps here in december, now I need another one :wink:

I got my HD 650s today and love the sound. Got my Gumby a few days ago, but can't use it, because the accompanying new Mjolnir 2 had a dead left channel. Now it's on its way back to the european distributor and I got the advice that the Jotunheim might be the better amp pairing for the HD 650.

What do you think?

Gumby + Mjolnir 2 + HD 650

or 

Gumby + Jotunheim + HD 650

I want to go all balanced and I also like the Audeze sound, so maybe upgrading to LCD3 or something similar in the future.

p.s.: I didn't like the Elear that I originally wanted to get.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3,612 of 6,469
  Got some very useful tipps here in december, now I need another one :wink:

I got my HD 650s today and love the sound. Got my Gumby a few days ago, but can't use it, because the accompanying new Mjolnir 2 had a dead left channel. Now it's on its way back to the european distributor and I got the advice that the Jotunheim might be the better amp pairing for the HD 650.

What do you think?

Gumby + Mjolnir 2 + HD 650

or 

Gumby + Jotunheim + HD 650

I want to go all balanced and I also like the Audeze sound, so maybe upgrading to LCD3 or something similar in the future.

p.s.: I didn't like the Elear that I originally wanted to get.

If you don't intend to roll tubes then go with the Jot, it you are thinking about the future and you might want to roll tubes then the Mjolnir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back