Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 26, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,557 of 6,469
Schiit is catching up. Mine is on the way!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,558 of 6,469
Jan 26, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #3,560 of 6,469
  Asking just out of curiosity, but why did they change the chassis to look like the Magni/Modi stack instead of the look of Bifrost etc. Looks worse IMO, was it to save money? 

According to Jason lowering cost was indeed the genesis of the new design. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #3,562 of 6,469
I feel like the aesthetics are overall a big plus when it comes to Schiit products. I am not saying it is a bad thing saving a couple of bucks and spending that money on sound quality, but I have to say it is a bit strange choice to make now, when there are many products released with different aesthetics.
To me it seems that Schiit sees the Jot as a better value product, than its other siblings (Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, when they can afford to have the more expensive chassis at a lower or similar overall cost).

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,564 of 6,469
  I feel like the aesthetics are overall a big plus when it comes to Schiit products. I am not saying it is a bad thing saving a couple of bucks and spending that money on sound quality, but I have to say it is a bit strange choice to make now, when there are many products released with different aesthetics.
To me it seems that Schiit sees the Jot as a better value product, than its other siblings (Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, when they can afford to have the more expensive chassis at a lower or similar overall cost).

Not counting the unique little ones (Fulla/Fulla 2), you basically have U-shaped aluminum (possibly done in one or two pieces depending on the product) or L-shaped aluminum (or steel in the smallest products).

The latest ones, Jot, Saga and Freya, all use the new L-shaped aluminum design. I'd also expect the rest of their line to move to the same if/when we hit v3 on most of the products. Personally I think it's a great price/aesthetics tradeoff, and it's not like each of their products looks different, we're really only on their second design style.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #3,565 of 6,469
Hmmm Jotaga huh? That'll be a fireball stack lol.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,566 of 6,469

Not counting the unique little ones (Fulla/Fulla 2), you basically have U-shaped aluminum (possibly done in one or two pieces depending on the product) or L-shaped aluminum (or steel in the smallest products).

The latest ones, Jot, Saga and Freya, all use the new L-shaped aluminum design. I'd also expect the rest of their line to move to the same if/when we hit v3 on most of the products. Personally I think it's a great price/aesthetics tradeoff, and it's not like each of their products looks different, we're really only on their second design style.

Excellent description!  Since the L-shaped design is basically only "missing" the bottom piece from the U-shaped design, it seems pretty inconsequential unless you care about how the bottom of it looks.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #3,567 of 6,469

I will take sound quality over aesthetics every day. I do however see your point. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #3,569 of 6,469
  Asking just out of curiosity, but why did they change the chassis to look like the Magni/Modi stack instead of the look of Bifrost etc. Looks worse IMO, was it to save money? 

In person, I think it looks better -- the finish is much smoother than the previous case design.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #3,570 of 6,469
Oh I did not know about Freya and Saga also having the same design as Jotunheim (I guess I wasn't paying attention to preamps)
It is not like I think it looks bad, in fact, I still think it is some of the best looking audio gear out there, it was just a bit strange to me since I did not know they were probably moving their entire lineup in this direction, and it seemed like an odd choice. 
I still think the U-shape design is the better looking out of the two, but it really doesn't matter especially if there is no practical use for it, and omitting it saves money....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back