Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 3, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,591 of 6,473
  It is an exceptional paring balanced, I would advise you put 100 Hours on the 650's before you judge them, they really open up after this time and sound nothing like they do on first listen.

I will, and thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

Other than the DAC, what value is the Jodie in the speaker chain? Or are you using it as a DAC for your speakers?

I use it as a preamp for my powered monitors, and it made them sound better than they ever have. They are hooked in with balanced xlr cords. And for now, I'm using the Jots DAC as the Dac for right now, someday I'd like to hook either a gumby or yggy to it as the DAC (balanced as well). The bonus is, I can always use it as a headphone amp on my desktop rigs as well, so win win I suppose. On my headphone rig, that's where I'm using the mimby with the Jot. Only have one mimby and 3 Jots.

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,592 of 6,473
It was mentioned in the video for the Jotunheim not to be used with electrostatic headphones. I am using my Valhalla 2 with my Koss ESP950 using the 3.5mm input on the front of the energizer. I am disabled and sit in a recliner across the room from my TV and my electronic equipment. I have a super HD headphone extension cable that is plugged into the headphone jack on my Valhalla 2 and then plugged into the 3.5mm input on the front of the energizer. It works really well. Why couldn't I do the same with the Jotunheim?
Thanks!
C.:grinning::headphones:

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,593 of 6,473
It was mentioned in the video for the Jotunheim not to be used with electrostatic headphones. I am using my Valhalla 2 with my Koss ESP950 using the 3.5mm input on the front of the energizer. I am disabled and sit in a recliner across the room from my TV and my electronic equipment. I have a super HD headphone extension cable that is plugged into the headphone jack on my Valhalla 2 and then plugged into the 3.5mm input on the front of the energizer. It works really well. Why couldn't I do the same with the Jotunheim?
Thanks!
C.:grinning::headphones:

You could. You would use the pre-outs from the jot to the Koss energizer. 

The amp section is not for elecrostats, but the pre-amp out will work fine with any other amp. Your energizer is the thing that is amplifying the signal for the 950 headphones. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #1,595 of 6,473
No wonder there have been delivery delays!!!
eek.gif

Yeah I know :frowning2:  Sorry about that!

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,596 of 6,473
For those of you who own a Jotunheim just a quick question...does it also make a popping sound on initial startup? My Magni2U and Vali2 do.

Mine does not and that is one of the reasons I am so enthusiastic about the Jot as it seems to be a step up in build quality over previous Schiit products.

I have an Asgard 2 with a buzzing transformer and a Lyr that does a scary pop on shutdown so I had stayed away from Schiit stuff for a while until now.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #1,597 of 6,473
You could. You would use the pre-outs from the jot to the Koss energizer. 

The amp section is not for elecrostats, but the pre-amp out will work fine with any other amp. Your energizer is the thing that is amplifying the signal for the 950 headphones. 
Thank you so much. I wrote the guys at Schiit and the person who answered me was actually like I was an idiot. I know all of the things you told me, I was just wanting to be sure. Thanks again.
C.:grinning::headphones:(headphone junkie)

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #1,598 of 6,473
Those having a phono stage, can you take a picture of the grounding termination behind?

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #1,599 of 6,473
I am curious between JOT with DAc And MOJO - what sounds better as a complete package. I read comparisons as a DAC but not as a complete package. Will the amp of the jot offset the better DAc of Mojo. I know I could buy both but If I had to live with only one which one would you choose to drive Alpha Primes.

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #1,600 of 6,473
Well, the Mojo is said to be tuned to be a bit laid back and uses the same 4490 as the Jot, however Jot is fully balanced. Downside is USB only.. To be honest, I'd just get yourself a Mimby for the Jot. My 4490 Bifrost didn't pair as well with Jot, however it was a match made in heaven with the Asgard 2. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #1,601 of 6,473
  Well, the Mojo is said to be tuned to be a bit laid back and uses the same 4490 as the Jot, however Jot is fully balanced. Downside is USB only.. To be honest, I'd just get yourself a Mimby for the Jot. My 4490 Bifrost didn't pair as well with Jot, however it was a match made in heaven with the Asgard 2. 

Mojo uses a custom FPGA programmable DAC chip. It isn't an off the shelf DAC

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #1,602 of 6,473
Hello,

My uncle will be traveling to US and I am trying to decide for a DAC/AMP for my HD650s.. Unfortunately I will not have the option of returning the device in case I wont be happy with the sound. So for days I am reading lots of reviews and scratching my head to decide on something that wont upset me. 

right now I only have apogee groove and I must say I am not much impressed partnered with hd650s. I also have Beoplay H6 ( I loove them ) and they become even much better when partnered with apogee..  

So I need something that will bring up the full potential of hd650s. 

I would love to hear what are yours magic DAC/AMP partner with the hd650s. 

I see that Jotunheim said to be well partnered with the HD650s and the price is reasonable for me but would there be other amp/dac combinations for a price up to 500-600 usd range that would be better option then the Jotunheim ? 

I read about Audeze Deckard to be also a good one but could not find much reviews partnered with the hd650s. 

any comments, suggestions welcomed. 

thanks. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #1,603 of 6,473

I see that Jotunheim said to be well partnered with the HD650s and the price is reasonable for me but would there be other amp/dac combinations for a price up to 500-600 usd range that would be better option then the Jotunheim ? 

I would also look at the Audio-GD products. The NFB-28/29H should be pretty good.

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,604 of 6,473
Mine does not and that is one of the reasons I am so enthusiastic about the Jot as it seems to be a step up in build quality over previous Schiit products.

I have an Asgard 2 with a buzzing transformer and a Lyr that does a scary pop on shutdown so I had stayed away from Schiit stuff for a while until now.

I'm happy for you that your Jot does not pop on startup but one other person responded that his Jot does pop like all other Schiit Amps. If I do decide to pull the trigger on one I hope I get one like you.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,605 of 6,473
I'm happy for you that your Jot does not pop on startup but one other person responded that his Jot does pop like all other Schiit Amps. If I do decide to pull the trigger on one I hope I get one like you.

Absolutely zero pop/noise when turning on the Jot. HD650s plugged into Balanced output. Mine is the amp only. I'm wondering if having the DAC module makes it pop...

Just incase you missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back