Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 29, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #1,487 of 6,473
  Hum... Listening to that amazing opening of Bartók's 2nd violin concerto (Arabella Steinbacher + Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Pentatone Classics, FLAC 96/24), first time with Jotunheim, loving the violin's "presence" over the orchestral mass. I don't think the Jot is getting in the way of the Bimby or Ether C Flows here, on the contrary.

You're probably right.  Maybe I need the Bifrost DAC, or maybe none of my headphones are good for violins.

I do really like piano and guitar using the Jot with the T1, HD800.  Xylophone too.  Most digitally produced sounds, including electric violin too.  Cello seems "pretty good" but not really "wow".  Woodwind and brass instruments sound pretty phenomenal.  The only thing that sounds weird to me is the acoustic violin.  

Could just be my imagination, or possibly the acoustic violin sound I "want" to hear is wrong and maybe it actually sounds good.  Not sure.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #1,488 of 6,473
Hi !
sorry to jump in with a question maybe already answered along the thread. 
I tried to find some opinions but got lost. 
I wonder if anyone has tried it as a line preamp in a good stereo system and with what result. 
Unbalanced or balanced is fine for me.  
My best dac (a Gustard X20U) provides both types of outs.
Thanks a lot.
gino  

I would also like to hear from anyone who has used it to feed a power amp in a good system. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,489 of 6,473
Got it today. Lets see how its performance against my audiodg C11.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,490 of 6,473
Just got the Jot and it is making my hd700s really sing - something pretty hard to do:) Early impressions are very nice!

Are you using balance or SE?

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,493 of 6,473
  I gotta ask, Jot or Ember with the HD-700?

I have the Ember incoming as well, the Jot got here first:) I have it connected SE right now, using a modi 1 dac (which I know is bright). All the comments here about the hd800 maybe not pairing super well with Jot I wasn't expecting the 700 to fair any better, but it is all I have on hand at the moment. I am super surprised how well the 700 and Jot pair. The 700 can be peaky, I agree, but I do not find it as bad as some do. That being said, I don't find it peaky at all on the Jot. I wouldn't call it smooth, but it sounds nice and airy without causing any discomfort. The Jot makes the bass nice and full, really making acoustics sound wonderful.

I like the combo, but I am looking forward to comparing it with my incoming Ember and some nice warm tubes....

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,494 of 6,473
Any HD650 & O2 ODAC RevB owners' upgrade experiences with Joti? :)

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,497 of 6,473
It seems like the Jot really brings higher impedance cans (>150 ohms) to life.
L3000.gif

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,498 of 6,473
I wonder if an amp only Jotunheim sounds better than one with a DAC because it doesn't have the potentially noisy DAC assembly? Also it doesn't need to share a power supply with the DAC. I know Schiit has attempted to isolate these units but one can't help but wonder. Besides obsolescence isn't that why Schiit stubbornly kept them separate in different cases?

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,499 of 6,473
I wonder if an amp only Jotunheim sounds better than one with a DAC because it doesn't have the potentially noisy DAC assembly? Also it doesn't need to share a power supply with the DAC. I know Schiit has attempted to isolate these units but one can't help but wonder. Besides obsolescence isn't that why Schiit stubbornly kept them separate in different cases?

I think I remember reading in Jason's blog that the dac uses usb power to keep it separate from the amp. Even if it doesn't, it should be switched off if you are selecting a different source, unless for some reason it stays on whenever the Jot is on. Also I would think that as long as the dac isn't processing any data and blasting high frequency noise out at its surroundings you should be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back