Schiit Jotunheim DAC+AMP ($500) or Modi 2 Multibit + MAGNI 3 ($350)?
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 19
Guess it depends on where I am set up. If at my pc I would want smaller footprint. Thats why I am setup with a Modi 2 multibit and Vali 2. If not
CFI5sa3.jpg

If not at a pc and space is not an issue then go bigger. But I guess it depends on your headphones as well.

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 19
Thanks!

Current contenders for headphones are Ultrasone Signature Pro and Fostex TH-900 MKII.
(First head system :dt880smile:)
I think you should really look at the Audeze Lcd2 classic and Mr Speaker Aeon open as they outperform both of those headphones in my opinion. If you need closed look at the Aeon closed.

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for the cans suggestion!

Which one would you say is a better fit for bass heavy electronic music, specifically Techno?

As a reference - I've heard the HD800s connected to M6s DAC and they were exceptional, but lack the punchiness and sub-bass that goes with this genre. Also listened to some Focals... Non were as good as the HD800s but still, the bass segment is a deal breaker for me.

The reason I narrowed down to the one I've listed is that these had the most pro bass reviews on them I could find (can't audition them where I live)... Still looking though...

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 19
If you live in the us you can pay 5% and audition through https://www.thecableco.com/lending-library
Then it would apoly to a purchase after you listened to whatever headphones. Goid way to try different cans and not loose money as everything is applied to a purchase.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 19
Guess it depends on where I am set up. If at my pc I would want smaller footprint. Thats why I am setup with a Modi 2 multibit and Vali 2.If not at a pc and space is not an issue then go bigger. But I guess it depends on your headphones as well.

The Jotunheim footprint is still pretty small, and it will be shorter than the stack. It fits nicely under a monitor unless you have your monitor super low. The other thing I like about the Jot is that the power supply is in the unit, so no wall warts (or two if your stack uses a Modi Uber/Multi).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 19
The Jotunheim footprint is still pretty small, and it will be shorter than the stack. It fits nicely under a monitor unless you have your monitor super low. The other thing I like about the Jot is that the power supply is in the unit, so no wall warts (or two if your stack uses a Modi Uber/Multi).
You sure about that?
Here is the Jot compared to the vali 2 and modi 2. Borrowed the image from another thread here. Yes the power supply is in the unit, but it is huge compared to the magni and modi or the vali and modi and this does not show how shallow the vali and modi are.
9349077.jpg

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 19
You sure about that?
Here is the Jot compared to the vali 2 and modi 2. Borrowed the image from another thread here. Yes the power supply is in the unit, but it is huge compared to the magni and modi or the vali and modi and this does not show how shallow the vali and modi are.

1) Yes, the Jot has a larger footprint than the Modi/Magni or Vali stack. What I said was that the Jot still has a decently small footprint and is compatible with being on a computer desk with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I have one on my desk right now and it does not cause any crowding issues.

2) The Jot is also shorter than the stack, especially the Vali with the tube sticking out. So it can be put under the monitor and still give access to the controls. This can mitigate whatever footprint differential there is between the stack and Jot.

Ultimately the OP can decide for himself what fits best on his desk, but I was just saying that the Jot is not so big that it should be eliminated as an option.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 19
1) Yes, the Jot has a larger footprint than the Modi/Magni or Vali stack. What I said was that the Jot still has a decently small footprint and is compatible with being on a computer desk with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I have one on my desk right now and it does not cause any crowding issues.

2) The Jot is also shorter than the stack, especially the Vali with the tube sticking out. So it can be put under the monitor and still give access to the controls. This can mitigate whatever footprint differential there is between the stack and Jot.

Ultimately the OP can decide for himself what fits best on his desk, but I was just saying that the Jot is not so big that it should be eliminated as an option.
I was not saying the Jot should be eliminated, but the stack is the size of the jot especially if you do not have the feet on them. I do not have room on my current desk for the jot, not to mention that I like the tubes. The Jot is a good am/ dac. If space were not an issue and you did not need multi-bit, I would go for the Jot.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for the cans suggestion!

Which one would you say is a better fit for bass heavy electronic music, specifically Techno?

As a reference - I've heard the HD800s connected to M6s DAC and they were exceptional, but lack the punchiness and sub-bass that goes with this genre. Also listened to some Focals... Non were as good as the HD800s but still, the bass segment is a deal breaker for me.

The reason I narrowed down to the one I've listed is that these had the most pro bass reviews on them I could find (can't audition them where I live)... Still looking though...
Here's a link to a thread of headphones with a lot of bass. I haven't tried any of them, but its an interesting read.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/

BTW, according to the Schiit site, the Magni 3 and the Modi are each 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”, while the Vali 2 is 5 x 3.5 x 2.75”. The Jotunheim is 9” x 6” x 2”, and the Bifrosts are 9 x 6.75 x 2.25”. The tubed Valhalla 2 is 9 x 6 x 3.25”. The Class A, Asgard is 9 x 6 x 2.25.

At least for the Magni, the measured depth is 1" greater, due to the knob, switches, and jacks. So it is likely all of the above spec data's depth information also didn't account for these either. Of course, some of the above don't have knobs, or have different knobs, so 1" more depth isn't necessarily true in each case. The knob on my Magni 3 projects 5/8" from the front plate.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 19
2.75" for the vali 2 including the tube. You can see in the picture the differences. I need to find my measuring tape and I can give real world measurements. Dont have a Jot. But yes you can fit almost 8 of the magni in the space of the Jot takes up. It is almost 1/8 the size of the Jot.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 19
The Magni's depth measurement doesn't include the switches and jacks on the back nor the volume knob on the front. Its actual total depth is 4.5". So likely the other units' spec measurements are sans knobs, switches, and jacks. Of course, some of the above don't have knobs, or have different knobs, so 1" more depth isn't necessarily true in each case. The knob on my Magni 3 projects 5/8" from the front plate.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 19
@ronkupper
Does multibit matter to you? Jot's DAC does not have a multibit option.
It is a balanced DAC though. One would have to go up to the $849 Gungnir, or the $1249 multi bit version of it, for balanced ... so $100 isn't bad for the card.

Another bad point, for me anyway, is it only has a USB input ... no coaxial or Toslink.
jotundac-1920.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back