Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #2,836 of 2,952
maybe I'll pick up some of those dimming stickers and leave it on 24/7. the jot2 has served me well these past few years, from using iem's without any hiss (balanced) or low knob channel imbalance to driving the he6sev2 fairly well. what's on our jotunheim 3 wishlist? wouldn't mind an even lower gain setting, a remote, and a preamp that mutes the headphone output when engaged. gladly welcome a reasonable price increase for an already versatile unit

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #2,837 of 2,952
maybe I'll pick up some of those dimming stickers and leave it on 24/7. the jot2 has served me well these past few years, from using iem's without any hiss (balanced) or low knob channel imbalance to driving the he6sev2 fairly well. what's on our jotunheim 3 wishlist? wouldn't mind an even lower gain setting, a remote, and a preamp that mutes the headphone output when engaged. gladly welcome a reasonable price increase for an already versatile unit
* preamp that mutes the headphone output when engaged.

* Higher quality input, output and IEC connectors. Pure copper would make me happy.

Give me the above and I will buy another and keep the one I have as a spare.

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #2,838 of 2,952
Anyone with the Jotunheim 2 and multibit card could comment on warmup time of the DAC card? My Bifrost 2 needed about 12 hours while my Modi Multibit needed about 2 hours for it to sound right to my ears. Those both didn't work out well because I power down my electronics at night and like to listen to music first thing in the morning with coffee, so couldn't wait an hour or two for warmup!

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #2,840 of 2,952
Picked up it too, jot2 appears slightly low-end tilted amp than treble, treble remains inoffensive and volume is easy to crank up with brighter headphone, thumpy and meaty sound but could be too much depending on preferences if headphone is already warm.

Volume matched with Liquid Platinum and that sounds like it has +~2dB more treble along with upfront vocals making it sound sharper, again depending on headphones or preferences this might be preferable or not, LP sub-bass is less pronounced than jot2 making overall impression bit thinner.

Before jot2 tried Asgard 3 but that had soft transients which made me sell it almost instantly.

Aug 12, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #2,842 of 2,952
Interesting! Which one would you say is better with classical/acoustic music using brightish/neutral headphones (AKG K702)?
K702 cannot be used with a balanced amplifier’s 4-pin XLR output, without disassembly & replacement of the 3-pin mini-xlr internal wiring harness & external cable.

Both the Jot2 SE (TRS) output and Asgard3 have a similar slightly warm tonality. The prior-generation A2 is even warmer sounding than either Jot2 or A3.

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #2,843 of 2,952
Picked up it too, jot2 appears slightly low-end tilted amp than treble, treble remains inoffensive and volume is easy to crank up with brighter headphone, thumpy and meaty sound but could be too much depending on preferences if headphone is already warm.

Volume matched with Liquid Platinum and that sounds like it has +~2dB more treble along with upfront vocals making it sound sharper, again depending on headphones or preferences this might be preferable or not, LP sub-bass is less pronounced than jot2 making overall impression bit thinner.

Before jot2 tried Asgard 3 but that had soft transients which made me sell it almost instantly.
I found the Plat to have a sense of Scale that the jot 2 didn't have, everything sounded a bit more grand, also soundstage was vastly superior on the plat, but jot 2 is still slamming and very enjoyable to listen to.

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #2,844 of 2,952
It’s almost 2 years that I’ve been driving my cans (Clear OG, LCD-2F, T1 2nd) with Modius>JOT2 Balance output. Other than extremely annoying volume control range (Low gain 9 o’clock for clear) I really like jot2. And I’ve tried a lot of amp in the same price segment of jot2 and higher. Imo in term of overall musicality and engagement factor, the Soloist 3x would be actual upgrade.(tubes are other story) SA1 is way to soft and meh. A90/A90D both very flat and dry-ish. I’ve never been a fan of THX based amps either. I think RNHP sounds absolutely fantastic but not as future proof as jot2 due to less power output. Iha-6 with clear was awful. Overall I’m really happy with MY outdated, non-fancy,non-golden-approved chain. I was wondering if running any of my cans out of SE output, would make a better synergy? I know some potential compromises in technicality side are probably inevitable but, Well if synergy gets better so be it. I’ve tried it myself and honestly due to placebo, volume matching and the time it takes to change cables(don’t have adapter) I honestly won’t comment on that. So I’de like to know your opinion if you’ve come across similar situation. Thanks

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #2,845 of 2,952
It’s almost 2 years that I’ve been driving my cans (Clear OG, LCD-2F, T1 2nd) with Modius>JOT2 Balance output. Other than extremely annoying volume control range (Low gain 9 o’clock for clear) I really like jot2. And I’ve tried a lot of amp in the same price segment of jot2 and higher. Imo in term of overall musicality and engagement factor, the Soloist 3x would be actual upgrade.(tubes are other story) SA1 is way to soft and meh. A90/A90D both very flat and dry-ish. I’ve never been a fan of THX based amps either. I think RNHP sounds absolutely fantastic but not as future proof as jot2 due to less power output. Iha-6 with clear was awful. Overall I’m really happy with MY outdated, non-fancy,non-golden-approved chain. I was wondering if running any of my cans out of SE output, would make a better synergy? I know some potential compromises in technicality side are probably inevitable but, Well if synergy gets better so be it. I’ve tried it myself and honestly due to placebo, volume matching and the time it takes to change cables(don’t have adapter) I honestly won’t comment on that. So I’de like to know your opinion if you’ve come across similar situation. Thanks
Whats the point of measurements if they don't sound good, never found topping gear to sound enjoyable, flat and dry almost their entire lineup. While THX amps have good clarity, they aren't actually that detailed, and lacks in macro dynamics department which is a big bummer for me.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #2,846 of 2,952
Jot2 and Bifrost 2/64 felt particularly hot today, so I whipped out the IR thermometer gun. Both measured about 113 degrees F in a 75 degreeish room. Think this is too hot, or within normal operating temps? The current rack shelf they sit on is slotted for ventilation and theres some room above the Jot 2, but I may just buy a second shelf to separate them for peace of mind.

IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_5407.PNG

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #2,847 of 2,952
second shelf to separa

Jot2 and Bifrost 2/64 felt particularly hot today, so I whipped out the IR thermometer gun. Both measured about 113 degrees F in a 75 degreeish room. Think this is too hot, or within normal operating temps? The current rack shelf they sit on is slotted for ventilation and theres some room above the Jot 2, but I may just buy a second shelf to separate them for peace of mind.

IMG_5051.JPGIMG_5407.PNG
maybe try keeping them on top of your table, it looks like there isn't much airflow in that shelf. That being said it runs pretty cool for me but I don't have it stacked.

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #2,848 of 2,952

I think that temp is fine, but I'm the type to error on the side of caution. I'd give the top of the Jot more room to breath, if you can.

edit TO ADD: Even put some larger feet under the Jot to lift it above the Bifrost more

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #2,849 of 2,952
I got my Jot2 end of March and decided to remove the stock feet and use these sticky ones instead--> https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Addict...8FD8TRPD&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_t

Stock ones are easy to remove, and these sticky ones worked really well. When I got my BF2/64 last week, I put the stock Jot2 feet back on (I do not have the Jot2/BG2/64 stacked; they are next to each other, about 2 inches between them). Why? :shrug: I'm a weirdo and didn't like the Jot 2 being taller. In any event, those sticky ones worked really well, and while I do not have a heat sensor to test temp, it sure seemed like the Jot2 was a bit cooler to the touch with the sticky ones attached.

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,850 of 2,952
I have a Jot2 and Freya N both separated with plenty of room to breathe and my Jot2 clocks in at 110 degrees fahrenheit while Freya hits 114 degrees in a room ambient temperature of 77-78 degrees during the summer now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back