Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #2,086 of 2,954
I just sold my Asgard 3 which I somewhat regret as it is quite a good amp for the price and perhaps competes quite well with those of higher price.
I remember having the exact sentiments but the feelings of regret quickly disappeared after spending time with the Jot 2. Made the jump and I haven't looked back since.

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #2,087 of 2,954
Thank you for this review/comparison. I am considering a Jot 2 but have also looked at the Singxer as well. Currently have a Valhalla 2 paired with a Bifrost 2. Given your comments on the A90 I don't think I would prefer that one as it seems too analytical. I don't want to analyze the music. I just want to sit back and enjoy it. I think I do prefer a more "warm" or 'analog" sound but I do enjoy lots of details. I just sold my Asgard 3 which I somewhat regret as it is quite a good amp for the price and perhaps competes quite well with those of higher price.
I owned an Asgard 3 before I bought a Jotunheim 2, and I agree that the Asgard is an excellent amp. The problem I had with it is with my headphones (Senn HD600), it was a little too laid back. I was hesitant to buy the Jot 2, as the Jot 1 was very strident. The Jot 2 turned out to be great. It has the warmth of the Asgard 3, but with added punch and detail. It doesn't have the bright, etched sound that the Jot 1 had.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #2,088 of 2,954
I remember having the exact sentiments but the feelings of regret quickly disappeared after spending time with the Jot 2. Made the jump and I haven't looked back since.
Same here. Really liked the Asgard 3 for the price. Now using Jot 2 balanced and prefer it with Audeze LCD-XC (2021 model).

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #2,089 of 2,954
I owned an Asgard 3 before I bought a Jotunheim 2, and I agree that the Asgard is an excellent amp. The problem I had with it is with my headphones (Senn HD600), it was a little too laid back. I was hesitant to buy the Jot 2, as the Jot 1 was very strident. The Jot 2 turned out to be great. It has the warmth of the Asgard 3, but with added punch and detail. It doesn't have the bright, etched sound that the Jot 1 had.

Hmm okay cool. I have the HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus currently. I do recall hearing that about the Jot 1 that it was a bit harsh.

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #2,090 of 2,954
Hmm okay cool. I have the HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus currently. I do recall hearing that about the Jot 1 that it was a bit harsh.
The Jotunheim 1 had a sharp edge to its treble that bothered me. The Jotunheim 2 is a different beast and sounds great to my ears.

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #2,091 of 2,954
That would be unacceptable to me. A new DAC, or a new provider.

I've used a trial of Tidal, as a comparison to Amazon Music Unlimited. Personally, I don't see the appeal. Amazon had more of the music I listen to, more HD, and was cheaper (on a yearly basis).
Amazon HD does not have a true "exclusive mode" like Tidal and Qobuz. Maybe that's why some people are not getting the "clicking" sound from the Bifrost 2 becasue your bit rate isn't changing. My understanding, the clicking sound is the muting relay turning on when the sample rate changes...so you don't hear a pop in your headphones/speakers when listening.

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #2,092 of 2,954
I moved my Asgard 3 to my work office and use the Jotunheim 2 for my home rig. With the relaxed nature of the Asgard, it works well with my Grado HP"s.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,093 of 2,954
Love the Jotunheim 2 for a desktop "all-in-wonder" setup. The simplicity of having a DAC, balanced amp, SE amp, pre-out, and multiple gain settings all in one box is nice. Only real complaint is maybe too much power - feeding it with a DAC that runs at less than full line level helps a lot.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #2,094 of 2,954
Is this a good match for the Hifiman HE6seV2?
I already have the Monolith THX AAA 887.
Anyone knows how they compare?
Planning to buy it now and then Bifrost 2 at the start of January (waiting for the black finish).
And to finish it off the Lokius 3-4 months from now.
I'm Brazilian so I can't return if I don't like, unfortunately.
Thanks in advance,

Gui.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,095 of 2,954
Anyone had the opportunity to listen to the abyss 1266 phi tc on the jot2?

I'm considering getting a rental from the cable company and listening on my jot2. But if there are any issues anyone experienced, before i do so, i figured i would ask.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #2,096 of 2,954
Is this a good match for the Hifiman HE6seV2?
I already have the Monolith THX AAA 887.
Anyone knows how they compare?
Planning to buy it now and then Bifrost 2 at the start of January (waiting for the black finish).
And to finish it off the Lokius 3-4 months from now.
I'm Brazilian so I can't return if I don't like, unfortunately.
Thanks in advance,

Gui.
I think the the HE6SE V2 pairs very well with the Schiit Jotunheim 2. Especially for the money. I don't own your Monolith THX AAA 887, but I do own the Massdrop THX AAA 789 and the SMSL SP200 THX and I think that both of my THX amplifiers are not very good sounding. You should have a pretty good setup and it should look nice as a stack too.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #2,097 of 2,954
I think the the HE6SE V2 pairs very well with the Schiit Jotunheim 2. Especially for the money. I don't own your Monolith THX AAA 887, but I do own the Massdrop THX AAA 789 and the SMSL SP200 THX and I think that both of my THX amplifiers are not very good sounding. You should have a pretty good setup and it should look nice as a stack too.
The description of your THX amplifiers is charitable indeed!….and merciful!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #2,099 of 2,954
This amp pairs so well with both my headphones the ZMF Aeolus and 6XX. It sounds to me that it punches through the darkness of both headphones and gives each a bit of slam that's addicting.
How are you using 6XX, balanced or SE, and what sort of DAC do you use? Thinking to get one in the new year at some stage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back