Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #2,116 of 2,952
Hi everyone. I'm not knowledgeable at all at describing amps or DACs, I only listen to them and sell them on occasion. Does anyone one know of a device that can cut the volume to the headphones jacks while not effecting the volume to the speakers? Unlike the Topping A90, the Jotunheim requires constant plugging and unplugging from the headphone jacks in order to switch between powered monitor only and headphone listening. My Jotunheim 2 beats my A90 in everyway except for this and I wondering if anyone has a solution.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #2,117 of 2,952
You guys can point me where to get a black knob for the back Jot 2?

Jan 10, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #2,118 of 2,952
Jan 11, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #2,119 of 2,952
Hi everyone. I'm not knowledgeable at all at describing amps or DACs, I only listen to them and sell them on occasion. Does anyone one know of a device that can cut the volume to the headphones jacks while not effecting the volume to the speakers? Unlike the Topping A90, the Jotunheim requires constant plugging and unplugging from the headphone jacks in order to switch between powered monitor only and headphone listening. My Jotunheim 2 beats my A90 in everyway except for this and I wondering if anyone has a solution.
I must admit I got cold feet on Jot2 for A90 for this and low gain. I wish I had tried the Jot2...
I use Hart audio cables with interconnects so I can leave one balanced cable plugged in and swap headphones or unplug if I want to use SE output. its more convenient than unplugging at amp but agree. Just got a Saga S and not having selectable outputs on either of their preamps is a bummer too... Does sound great though :)

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #2,121 of 2,952
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #2,122 of 2,952
The Jot 2 has a preamp switch. This switch is unique to the Jot 2 (not present on the Jot 1), and is located to the immediate left of the volume knob.

Up, preamp + phones, down, phones only.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #2,123 of 2,952
The Jot 2 has a preamp switch. This switch is unique to the Jot 2 (not present on the Jot 1), and is located to the immediate left of the volume knob.

Thank you for the reply. I understand this, but I still have to unplug my headphone when listening to my powered monitors so that I'm not outputting through both at once. Seems to me it's pretty unsafe for a headphone given you could forget the headphone is still plugged in and crank the volume too high.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #2,124 of 2,952
Not everybody wants to remember to unplug headphones every single time they are gonna use speakers. I chose an A90 for this reason although now I really wish I at least heard the jot2 :triportsad:.
Its a cause of frustration for me with a new Saga S since my GF watches TV sometimes before I wake up and if I use Headphones the night before I have to remember to turn HPA off and Pre-amp back down and honestly its aggravating. more so because I really like Schiit gear Sonically and some times lack of features hold them back...

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #2,125 of 2,952
Not everybody wants to remember to unplug headphones every single time they are gonna use speakers. I chose an A90 for this reason although now I really wish I at least heard the jot2 :triportsad:.
Its a cause of frustration for me with a new Saga S since my GF watches TV sometimes before I wake up and if I use Headphones the night before I have to remember to turn HPA off and Pre-amp back down and honestly its aggravating. more so because I really like Schiit gear Sonically and some times lack of features hold them back...
I bought a 4-pin XLR male to female connector because I worried about the constant plugging and unplugging wearing out the Jotunheim 2 XLR plug. The male end of the connector stays connected to the amp and I just plug my headphone into the female end.

I have an A90 and like it a lot as an analytical amp with the D90 DAC but the Jotunheim 2 + Bifrost 2 is the more pure enjoyment combo without sounding inaccurate and muddy.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #2,126 of 2,952
Wait, what? You let your GF use your Schiit??? I…. Don’t know what to say about that, sorry…

edited to add : 😉😉

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #2,127 of 2,952
I'm confused. I illustrated how one could listen to headphones without speakers on the Jot 2, without unplugging the headphonesl

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #2,128 of 2,952
Thank you for the reply. I understand this, but I still have to unplug my headphone when listening to my powered monitors so that I'm not outputting through both at once. Seems to me it's pretty unsafe for a headphone given you could forget the headphone is still plugged in and crank the volume too high.
No, you don't understand this.

Left switch closest to the volume knob.

Up=headphone + preamp out, presumably, your speakers.

Down=headphones only.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #2,129 of 2,952
No, you don't understand this.

Left switch closest to the volume knob.

Up=headphone + preamp out, presumably, your speakers.

Down=headphones only.
I know the switch. Again, how do I listen to just my speakers when the headphone is plugged in? I cannot. The headphone output is always active whether the preamp is on or off.

Down = headphone only (fine)
Up = headphone + speakers (Not fine - have to unplug the headphone because the headphone output is always active)

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #2,130 of 2,952
I know the switch. Again, how do I listen to just my speakers when the headphone is plugged in? I cannot. The headphone output is always active whether the preamp is on or off.

Down = headphone only (fine)
Up = headphone + speakers (Not fine - have to unplug the headphone because the headphone output is always active)
How many switches do have to the left of your volume knob?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back