Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #2,071 of 2,957
Installed MB card in Jot 2. I would stack a Bifrost 2 under it in a heartbeat but the clicking noise when the sample rate changes gets loud in the bedroom.

Been enjoying my IEMs with one Jot 1 at work and one at home for a couple years now. Jot 2 is sounding wonderful with my IEMs also. Jot pairs really well with IEMs with DDs and/or Estats. Anyone else finding Jot 1 or Jot 2 amazing with IEMs?

The real reason for justifying getting a Jot 2 is for when my VC closed arrives. I had a VC closed before with Mjolnir and Lyr which was a blast.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #2,072 of 2,957
Been enjoying my IEMs with one Jot 1 at work and one at home for a couple years now. Jot 2 is sounding wonderful with my IEMs also. Jot pairs really well with IEMs with DDs and/or Estats. Anyone else finding Jot 1 or Jot 2 amazing with IEMs?
Yes absolutely, Jot2 is wonderful with my IER-Z1R and UM 3DT. To the point I don't really use those ones with any portable source any more, cause I feel like something is missing.

However, Jot2 is just a bit too much with the all-BA IEMs I have, esp Andro2020. So that one stays on the Vali2+ or Asgard3, and of course it is well suited for DAP usage. U6t is still a little new, and I'm enjoying it so much with the Vali2+, haven't used it much with the Jot2.

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2,074 of 2,957
What were your reasons for choosing the Multibit DAC card over the Delta-Sigma option for your Jotenheim 2?
Good question. The easy answer is I had a MB DAC from one of my Jot 1s that was available. But after listening to IEMs a lot last night with the Jot 2 and MB DAC, I decided to try the Delta-Sigma option. I ordered one this morning. I was not liking the MB with Jot 2 as much as I like my Jot 1 with MB. It seemed a little too warm and "grainy". We will see how I like the DS DAC. It might come down to that I am just very used to the brightness of the Jot 1. Time will tell. BTW I always use balanced on low gain with the Jots. I use a 4.4 female to XLR male adapter.

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #2,075 of 2,957
[...] after listening to IEMs a lot last night with the Jot 2 and MB DAC, I decided to try the Delta-Sigma option. I ordered one this morning. [...]
I am looking forward to reading about your experience with the ES9028 DAC after using the Multibit DAC.

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #2,077 of 2,957
Installed MB card in Jot 2. I would stack a Bifrost 2 under it in a heartbeat but the clicking noise when the sample rate changes gets loud in the bedroom.

The real reason for justifying getting a Jot 2 is for when my VC closed arrives. I had a VC closed before with Mjolnir and Lyr which was a blast.
I've never experienced a "clicking noise from a sample rate change". I listen to a wide range of sample rates in Amazon Music Unlimited.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #2,078 of 2,957
I've never experienced a "clicking noise from a sample rate change". I listen to a wide range of sample rates in Amazon Music Unlimited.
BF2 does this all the time when using Tidal in Exclusive mode, as sample rate changes on different tracks. Closed-back headphones or IEMs mask this, if I'm using open-back I just ignore it.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #2,079 of 2,957
BF2 does this all the time when using Tidal in Exclusive mode, as sample rate changes on different tracks. Closed-back headphones or IEMs mask this, if I'm using open-back I just ignore it.
It does not bother me and in the living room with the 2ch system it is fine. But in the bedroom it bothers my wife during my often middle of the night sessions. As random clicking should :) I just have the BF1 since my 2 ch is SE. I had to kick my BF1 out of the bedroom due to the clicking :) Works great as the DAC for the 2 ch.

Dec 9, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #2,080 of 2,957
That would be unacceptable to me. A new DAC, or a new provider.

I've used a trial of Tidal, as a comparison to Amazon Music Unlimited. Personally, I don't see the appeal. Amazon had more of the music I listen to, more HD, and was cheaper (on a yearly basis).

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #2,081 of 2,957
That would be unacceptable to me. A new DAC, or a new provider.

I've used a trial of Tidal, as a comparison to Amazon Music Unlimited. Personally, I don't see the appeal. Amazon had more of the music I listen to, more HD, and was cheaper (on a yearly basis).
Can't agree at all, the DAC noise is imperceptible to me most of the time, and absolutely worth it for the SQ.

I used AmazonHD for less than a day before I realised it's catalog is woefully lacking, and it's UI even worse. No wonder they give it away for cheap.

But if you love it, that's all that matters.

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #2,082 of 2,957
Listen to what you will. I could literally care less.

I stated my opinion that I wouldn't put up with static (or noise) from one streaming service, that wasn't evident on another.

Why is everything devolving into tribes? Am I in the "Amazon music tribe, it's differant from what my tribe listens to", and must be hated?

Here's a kicker. I hate idiots.

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #2,083 of 2,957
Listen to what you will. I could literally care less.

I stated my opinion that I wouldn't put up with static (or noise) from one streaming service, that wasn't evident on another.

Why is everything devolving into tribes? Am I in the "Amazon music tribe, it's differant from what my tribe listens to", and must be hated?

Here's a kicker. I hate idiots.
Haven't heard any static from Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon or any other streaming service for that matter, and I totally agree that idiots are not to be tolerated.

But you know what I really do like, and that is my Jot2.

It's taken centre stage in my main rig, my only regret is that it has quite a noticeable hum with the Andro2020, but with everything else it's got this great presence and punch, and it really gives a lift to the LCD2-C & Empyrean. Fantastic!!

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #2,084 of 2,957
I am looking forward to reading about your experience with the ES9028 DAC after using the Multibit DAC.
I recieved the ES9028 DAC card and took out the MB card out of my Jot 2 and put in the ES9028. As I stated earlier I am very used to Jot 1 with MB card and I listen a ton at work to IEMs out of it through balanced with an XLR to 4.4 adapter. The love the sound of my IEMs with using the Jot 1 with MB card. For some reason I was not liking the sound of my IEMs with Jot 2 and MB card (also through balanced). Sounded most likely not as clear/bright as Jot 1 with MB card. The Jot 2 with ES9028 sounds great. Or should I say sounds like how I like the Jot 1 with MB card. Very enjoyable sound. Probably due to having more clarity than the Jot 2 with MB card. Not as warm I should say

On a side note I can listen to Jot 2 with MB card using my phone using a direct connection to the USB B on the MB card. No issue with needing to draw more power than the phone can handle. With the ES9028 which has USB C and the Unison USB I need to run a charging cord and the USB C to Lightning cable to my phone to make it work. The Unison requires too much power to run straight to phone or iPad. So I just use the Apple Camera adapter. The one that has lightning male to the phone and then two female ports. One for the cable connected to Jot 2 and one providing power to the phone.

I should run an ES card and MB card comparison with the two Jot 1s I have but that would involve moving cards around again. Getting the LED light to match up perfectly is the only hassle in that endeavor.

Of course running the Jot 2 with ES9028 card straight to my Computer works great.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #2,085 of 2,957
Well, I think it's fair if I share my impression to this thread too (and Singxer thread).

20211014_153732.jpg

It was fun comparison! Topping D90SE with XLR output feed Topping A90, Singxer SA-1, and Schiit Jotunheim 2

At that moment I tried with Abyss Diana Phi and Focal Clear MG.

All three amps are indeed excellent for the price.

Power: (Based on Gain and Watt)
1. Schiit Jotunheim 2
2. Topping A90
3. Singxer SA1

Note: Singxer is far from weak, it's just that Singxer provide the lowest gain (amplified factor). Singxer capable to push Diana with ease.

Treble:
1. Singxer SA-1
2. Topping A90
3. Schiit Jotunheim 2

Most airy feeling, with most micro detail, Singxer take the crown here. The best part, Singxer is actually the most linear in treble area, high pitch of piano seems free of peak/harshness. A90 and Jotunheim 2 while less airy, but produce more peak in piano notes. Jotunheim is the darkest of the three with the least airy feeling as well. (Remember that these three amps still close to neutral, so don't imagine awful lack of treble quantity from Schiit).

Midrange:
1a. Singxer SA-1
1b. Schiit Jotunheim 2
2. Topping A90

Both singxer and schiit provide slight forward vocal with dense and full body tonality. While texture slight better with Singxer, Jotun provide slight fuller lower midrange. Sibilance is hard to heard, unless the recording produce much of them. Topping is a little drier in this section, with more laidback position. I'd give a nod to Topping if the extreme neutrality is your main concern. Personally, I chase natural more than neutral here.

Bass:
1a. Schiit Jotunheim 2
1b. Singxer SA-1
1c. Topping A90

Love them all! Jotunheim 2 produce biggest bass, Topping is the least, Singxer on the middle. Both three amps render bass texture nicely, deep down to sub bass level. Most impact goes to Jotunheim, while A90 and SA-1 share the same result.

Soundstage:
1. SIngxer SA-1
2. Topping A90
3. Schiit Jotunheim 2

The airy feeling, combine with the actual soundstage size, make Singxer goes to the top. Not only the size, actually imaging also more structured on Singxer SA-1 compared the other amps. Schiit Jotunheim 2 definitely create the "narrowest" imaging here.

Conclusion:
Singxer SA-1 is still my most favourite amp for under $1000, very all round character with great micro detail and soundstage. Being neutral, but slight sweetness on vocal is blissful.

Schiit Jotunheim 2, punch the hardest, in expense of airy feeling and soundstage.

Topping A90, is most dead neutral, even when compared to other close to neutral amps.

Thank you for this review/comparison. I am considering a Jot 2 but have also looked at the Singxer as well. Currently have a Valhalla 2 paired with a Bifrost 2. Given your comments on the A90 I don't think I would prefer that one as it seems too analytical. I don't want to analyze the music. I just want to sit back and enjoy it. I think I do prefer a more "warm" or 'analog" sound but I do enjoy lots of details. I just sold my Asgard 3 which I somewhat regret as it is quite a good amp for the price and perhaps competes quite well with those of higher price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back