Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,487 of 2,959
Yesterday I ordered the BiFrost 2 Dac and the Jotunheim 2 amp. 7-10 day delay for the BiFrost2 and May 26 start shipping date for the Jotunheim2.
New to the headphone/Amp/Dac game. Initial system Jot2 amp, Bifrost2 Dac and Focal Clear MG. I placed order on Focal's first, will arrive tomorrow. Hindsight - should have looked at Schiit site first.

So will have the Clears for 6 weeks plus without amp and dac.

In meantime, would it be a bozo No-No to listen to Clear's direct to Iphone 8 plus or plugged directly into my Anthem AVM 70 pre-pro?
Congrats. This will be a kick-ass setup.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #1,491 of 2,959
has someone had the chance to test the bifrost 2 + jotunheim 2 combo with the empyreans? I got the Bifrost 2 with the singxer SA-1 I find the sound a bit to much bloomy.
I haven’t heard Jot 2 but I feel BF2 may not he great with Empyrean as both are warm and BF2 has slight emphasis on upper mid or lower treble and same is true for Empyrean so it may be too much of a good thing.
But if you are into that kind of sound then.may be an enjoyable and musical pair

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,492 of 2,959
After seeing people talk about hearing some distortion I plugged my Grado SR325e into single-ended to see if I could hear any and there was a little bit in the bass and sub-bass. There wasn't much but if I really listened for it I could hear some and after you notice it it's hard not to hear it even though it was very light distortion.

Now with all my balanced headphones there no distortion what so ever so I guess it's only with single-ended headphones and I think it's also just mainly the more sensitive ones. If you use balanced I don't think it's anything to worry about but single-ended users should consider it if you're thinking of getting the amp.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,493 of 2,959
After seeing people talk about hearing some distortion I plugged my Grado SR325e into single-ended to see if I could hear any and there was a little bit in the bass and sub-bass. There wasn't much but if I really listened for it I could hear some and after you notice it it's hard not to hear it even though it was very light distortion.

Now with all my balanced headphones there no distortion what so ever so I guess it's only with single-ended headphones and I think it's also just mainly the more sensitive ones. If you use balanced I don't think it's anything to worry about but single-ended users should consider it if you're thinking of getting the amp.
Well, in my situation, as I have previously stated, I started noticing the distortion while using the amp balanced (from the dac all the way to the headphone) in the left ear cup. Once I plugged in the single ended headphone cable, the problem became many magnitudes worse. It was unlistenable. I just received mine back from Schiit and it was a bad op amp and blown resistors. This has happened to others as well and is not normal so if you think you have a problem, I would look into getting it fixed. And just for the record, I am using the Arya's, Elex, HD600 and HD6xx's all of which aren't very efficient headphones.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,494 of 2,959
Well, in my situation, as I have previously stated, I started noticing the distortion while using the amp balanced (from the dac all the way to the headphone) in the left ear cup. Once I plugged in the single ended headphone cable, the problem became many magnitudes worse. It was unlistenable. I just received mine back from Schiit and it was a bad op amp and blown resistors. This has happened to others as well and is not normal so if you think you have a problem, I would look into getting it fixed. And just for the record, I am using the Arya's, Elex, HD600 and HD6xx's all of which aren't very efficient headphones.
I'll tell you a story, it's true.

I purchased an amp from Schiit, the Asgard 3. Great sound, totally eclipsed my 20 year old Creek OBH-11 (with regulated wall wart). Made my original Grado 325's ring the bell.

One night, someone must have been celebrating, because I joined in (that's my story, and I'm sticking with it). Before one knew, I'd plugged my 1/4 inch plug in, but only half-way. Not hearing what I wanted, I turned it up. I distincly heard a channel go out in my phones.

Damn that Schiit. Their amps are crap (even when their customers FU). Good thing about Schiit, their CS is great. Yea, I payed to return my amp, but they fixed it and returned it for free. My mistake. Sorry.

A new advertising campaign:

"We're Schiit, we cover your ****-ups for 5 years".

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #1,495 of 2,959
I'll tell you a story, it's true.

I purchased an amp from Schiit, the Asgard 3. Great sound, totally eclipsed my 20 year old Creek OBH-11 (with regulated wall wart). Made my original Grado 325's ring the bell.

One night, someone must have been celebrating, because I joined in (that's my story, and I'm sticking with it). Before one knew, I'd plugged my 1/4 inch plug in, but only half-way. Not hearing what I wanted, I turned it up. I distincly heard a channel go out in my phones.

Damn that Schiit. Their amps are crap (even when their customers FU). Good thing about Schiit, their CS is great. Yea, I payed to return my amp, but they fixed it and returned it for free. My mistake. Sorry.

A new advertising campaign:

"We're Schiit, we cover your ****-ups for 5 years".
I really don't know what the point of this little story was...other than to point out your ****up. Perhaps you are trying to imply that I had two headphone cables plugged in at the same time causing the problem. Well, I guess sometimes you have to spell things out for the simpler folk. Each headphone output was used seperately. Got it? Good. It's amazing, you try to post things on here to help people out and you have to deal with these garbage posts. You always have atleast one...

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,496 of 2,959
As I have stated in my previous posts, my Jot 2 Has been hooked up to my Bifrost 2 via balanced cables and am listening via balanced out cables. The distortion that developed on my Jot 2 started in the left earcup. Tried multiple headphones - same thing. Tried single ended and it was so bad it was unlistenable. I also have my Vali 2+ hooked up to the Bifrost 2 (single ended) and used the same headphones on that and they were fine. My headphones are the Arya's, Elex, Hd600 and Hd6xx. I sent mine out to Schiit to be repaired and it is finally on it's way back. Once I receive it and find out what they did to repair it I will post that info on here. My advice is if you have distortion of any kind, you should troubleshoot with other Dacs/Amps and see if your Jot 2 is exhibiting this problem and get it rectified. I have read on this forum and others having problems as well so I don't know how widespread it is but there definitely is something going on. Schiit is great and they will address your problem just make sure you troubleshoot.

I had this same issue. It was resulting in a DC offset problem. I had to send in my Jot2 and they replaced one of the OP amps it seems to have fixed my issue. Must be a QC issue somewhere in the chain. I wonder if other folks have had these problems.

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,497 of 2,959
I really don't know what the point of this little story was...other than to point out your ****up. Perhaps you are trying to imply that I had two headphone cables plugged in at the same time causing the problem. Well, I guess sometimes you have to spell things out for the simpler folk. Each headphone output was used seperately. Got it? Good. It's amazing, you try to post things on here to help people out and you have to deal with these garbage posts. You always have atleast one...
I'm fairly certain the intent was to highlight Schiit's customer service.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #1,498 of 2,959
I didn't intend to trigger a negative feeling from you.

My only intention was to suggest human interaction may be a cause of failure in equipment. I outlined mine. If you're clear, bully for you.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #1,499 of 2,959
I didn't intend to trigger a negative feeling from you.

My only intention was to suggest human interaction may be a cause of failure in equipment. I outlined mine. If you're clear, bully for you.
Ok, but when you post something on here, tagging my post, then inferring, through your little anecdote, that the amp broke because of something I did, I am gonna get pissed. I mean the amp is pretty simple to operate, plug in headphone, unplug headphone and adjust volume if need be. Im sorry if you couldn't get that right but nonetheless...

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #1,500 of 2,959
Ok, but when you post something on here, tagging my post, then inferring, through your little anecdote, that the amp broke because of something I did, I am gonna get pissed. I mean the amp is pretty simple to operate, plug in headphone, unplug headphone and adjust volume if need be. Im sorry if you couldn't get that right but nonetheless...
Martians must be kinda thin-skinned. Surprising given the nighttime temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back