Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,471 of 2,952
Got my Jot 2 on 12-21-20. Was a christmas gift from my awesome girlfriend. I have had not one hiccup. Been smooth sailing and has probably been powered on over half the time I've had it. I guess I'm lucky so far. It has been perfect so far.
I made my purchase just after Christmas 2020 and received it on January 12. No issues whatsoever and very happy with the performance, built quality, etc.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,473 of 2,952
As I have stated in my previous posts, my Jot 2 Has been hooked up to my Bifrost 2 via balanced cables and am listening via balanced out cables. The distortion that developed on my Jot 2 started in the left earcup. Tried multiple headphones - same thing. Tried single ended and it was so bad it was unlistenable. I also have my Vali 2+ hooked up to the Bifrost 2 (single ended) and used the same headphones on that and they were fine. My headphones are the Arya's, Elex, Hd600 and Hd6xx. I sent mine out to Schiit to be repaired and it is finally on it's way back. Once I receive it and find out what they did to repair it I will post that info on here. My advice is if you have distortion of any kind, you should troubleshoot with other Dacs/Amps and see if your Jot 2 is exhibiting this problem and get it rectified. I have read on this forum and others having problems as well so I don't know how widespread it is but there definitely is something going on. Schiit is great and they will address your problem just make sure you troubleshoot.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #1,474 of 2,952
Would ditching my THX 789 to get a Jot 2 be worth it or is the difference marginal? I’m not much of an amp guy to be honest, I just go with the ones that are generally well liked, sound clean with no color (aren’t some Schiit amps a tad colored sounding?) and have enough power/features. Lately I feel like folks haven’t been raving about the THX as much as they used to, though I suppose it is some years old now.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #1,475 of 2,952
Would ditching my THX 789 to get a Jot 2 be worth it or is the difference marginal? I’m not much of an amp guy to be honest, I just go with the ones that are generally well liked, sound clean with no color (aren’t some Schiit amps a tad colored sounding?) and have enough power/features. Lately I feel like folks haven’t been raving about the THX as much as they used to, though I suppose it is some years old now.
Some time back in this thread I posted a comparison.

Really wasn’t a world of difference A/B’ing them.

Trying to account for volume matching, I came away from the two amps feeling that the Jot was somewhat warmer on the low end; and less in your face compared to the THX. Essentially, the Jot didn’t hit me as hard as the THX, but it gave a warmer “bloom,” as I put it, on the low end throughout playback.

So many caveats here, such as my tests being run mainly with the HD800 S, with my ears and expectations, etc. So many factors to consider.

I think the difference is small, but small differences in this hobby can mean a lot to each person depending on their tastes and pairings.

The differences aren’t necessarily objectively better per-se. I preferred my 800 S on the 789, and saved some money for my preference, but it may have been simply my taste and not many other people’s. I’m sorry to say, but perhaps the only true way you will know if YOU prefer one or the other with your tastes, music library, and gear, is to see what differences you get out of the comparison yourself.

The difference may honestly be negligible when considering buying the Jot or not, or the small differences may tweak your setup in a satisfying way for you to make it worth trying.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,476 of 2,952
Some time back in this thread I posted a comparison.

Really wasn’t a world of difference A/B’ing them.

Trying to account for volume matching, I came away from the two amps feeling that the Jot was somewhat warmer on the low end; and less in your face compared to the THX. Essentially, the Jot didn’t hit me as hard as the THX, but it gave a warmer “bloom,” as I put it, on the low end throughout playback.

So many caveats here, such as my tests being run mainly with the HD800 S, with my ears and expectations, etc. So many factors to consider.

I think the difference is small, but small differences in this hobby can mean a lot to each person depending on their tastes and pairings.

The differences aren’t necessarily objectively better per-se. I preferred my 800 S on the 789, and saved some money for my preference, but it may have been simply my taste and not many other people’s. I’m sorry to say, but perhaps the only true way you will know if YOU prefer one or the other with your tastes, music library, and gear, is to see what differences you get out of the comparison yourself.

The difference may honestly be negligible when considering buying the Jot or not, or the small differences may tweak your setup in a satisfying way for you to make it worth trying.
Well said, thanks!

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,477 of 2,952
Not sure if the maligning a small manufacturer comment was directed to me or not. Want to clear any misconception.

There were some posts back on April 3rd mentioning their concerns about buying the Jot2 due to other owners' recent defective units. They mentioned it was a potential hassle and expensive to return or repair if shipping back from Europe. I was being empathetic and noting their situation on a follow up comment.

My comment did not tell anyone to not buy from Schiit or hold off on their purchase. It's a decision that they will have to make on their own whether it's worth their time.

I have bought several items directly from Schiit, so I consider myself a fan. I also bought the Jot2 in January during the period when some early owners reported issues. This did not bother me or made me hesitate to purchase the amp because I live in the US. If I had to return the amp, its not a hassle to me and I know Schiit will take care of me.

I can't speak to the real experiences that folks living outside of the USA will encounter when they return items back to Schiit. I was only understanding their concerns and hesitation. I just hope anyone wherever they are, can enjoy this great amp.
Thanks for the explanation. Good listening.

Apr 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,478 of 2,952
Well today I finally received my Jot 2 back from Schiit after being repaired. The official word on what was fixed was a bad op-amp and blown resistors. Now I ofcourse always take care of my stuff so I do not know if this was just happenstance or if their is a quality control issue. In the end, Schiit delivered as always and took care of it so I am a happy camper and glad to have my Jot 2 back. Now I am just waiting on my Gungnir multibit....

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #1,479 of 2,952
I can pretty safely say that the phono Jot 2 parked on top of my Bifrost 2 on my desk, connected to my NCore power amp is going to be staying in this arrangement for a long, long time. Three analogue inputs and three digital inputs plus killer headphone/pre-amp performance. It sounds terrific.

Apr 9, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,480 of 2,952
I like both for there own qualities but the jot2 gets the majority of play time, can't go wrong with either

Attachments

• 20210409_145553.jpg
    20210409_145553.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,483 of 2,952
Yesterday I ordered the BiFrost 2 Dac and the Jotunheim 2 amp. 7-10 day delay for the BiFrost2 and May 26 start shipping date for the Jotunheim2.
New to the headphone/Amp/Dac game. Initial system Jot2 amp, Bifrost2 Dac and Focal Clear MG. I placed order on Focal's first, will arrive tomorrow. Hindsight - should have looked at Schiit site first.

So will have the Clears for 6 weeks plus without amp and dac.

In meantime, would it be a bozo No-No to listen to Clear's direct to Iphone 8 plus or plugged directly into my Anthem AVM 70 pre-pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back