Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #1,441 of 2,952
Yeah, just read a bunch of praise for its sound signature a bit earlier, got excited and decided to pop in here but, as another European, it doesn't sound like the Jot 2 would be worth the hassle. If I'm putting more than a hundred euros into audio gear, it has to be reliable and last a long time, especially if I'm importing it from the US - returns and repairs would be way too expensive.

Sucks. Otherwise the Jot 2 sounds like it could be perfect for me.
Well it's hard to be mistaken with a 5 years warranty device that receives almost instant support when anything happens no matter where you are and I am not a schiit fan-boy but I gotta recognize a company that actually cares

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #1,442 of 2,952
Well it's hard to be mistaken with a 5 years warranty device that receives almost instant support when anything happens no matter where you are and I am not a schiit fan-boy but I gotta recognize a company that actually cares

I certainly appreciate that, but I appreciate properly and thoroughly quality controlled and lasting products more. Like I said, sending stuff back to the US is just too much of a hassle for me.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,443 of 2,952
Jotunheim 2 Update 20+ days after:

Impressions with this amp after many many days connected 24/7 to a pure sinewave UPS cannot be better. First days I was disappointed about the amp not being able to resolve busy passages of music, compression was really noticeable and it killed the magic of any song with many things happening.

Nowadays it almost non existant, I can swear it disappeared and it doesn't get compressed anymore or at least I can't seem to feel it, everything is there. Details, slam, punchiness, overwhelming... You name it, it's all there.

Soundstage improved as well as I can feel it more open, specially the depth. I used to use Dolby and Surround DSP filters to place myself at where the music was recorded and I no longer need it as by default, it is respecting the music fidelity and I don't need to modify anything anymore.

Arya: Everything I throw at it, no matter what, I love it, pure magic. It pairs so very well with Jot 2

Clear: At first I didn't like it, I prefered Valhalla 2 all the way, it changed as the time passed. I use the Clear more than the Arya because when you adjust the volume and sync with the real volume of the song (or at least try), magic happens. Jot 2 does wonders at the right volume with Clear and probably any HP

To end my impressions I must say that I take care of my devices, both amp and dac are separated by 6 CMs aprox and dac doesn't touch the ground, every night I disconnect the cable but I leave the amp ON at low volume with gain stage off and preamp mode off, dac of course always on as well.

Hope it helps anyone with the doubt/inquietude of purchasing it and please if you have Jot 2 share your impressions I'd love to read them

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,444 of 2,952
It is a bit tougher for folks ordering from Europe and the potential monetary risk of returning back a defective unit. But for folks in the US, I would not hold back. It's a very good amp at a very good price. Definitely worth a try.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #1,445 of 2,952
Grats that you can enjoy your Jontunheim, may be when we hear more success stories about the amp, I may change my mind, as I think importing with Schiit is quite straight forward.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,446 of 2,952
If this has been previously covered, please excuse my post.

Tonight, I connected the pre-out from my Lyr 3 to the single ended input to my Jot 2. I'm currently running early 1950's era RCA 6F8G tubes, with adapter, on my Lyr 3.

Both amps are sourced from my Bifrost 2, from my PC with Amazon Music HD, and Tidal HD streamed. I've tried my newly acquired Sennheiser HD 800S on my Jott2, balanced, and the Lyr 3, single ended. Frankly, the Lry 3 prevailed in most listening experiences. The Lyr 3 > Jott 2 is the best I've heard from any source.

I won't discount another amp as better than the Lyr 3 as a preamp to the Jot 2. I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. Perhaps the best listening I've experienced.

Edit: If you decide to try my recipee, 100% from your computer source. Middle from your main amp. Let your preamp control the sound.
Oh my!

Thanks so much for posting this idea (never occurred to me). Lyr3 as preamp and it also helps me to moderate the Jot2 power. Tube rolling on my Lyr3 : 1mp Jan CBS Hytron CHY 5692 tube.

Lyr3 (acting as preamp) volume control variable. with Jot2 at 11am is the sweet spot for me (Windows usb out 100% volume running Roon).

The clarity combined with tube sound. Nice sound stage. Good bass impact and body. Also, I can use both my balanced cables as well as single ended.

So I want to try my Valhalla in the same way.

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,447 of 2,952
I hope you'll post your findings with the Vahalla. Please list your tubes.

Although I'm feeding the Jot 2 SE (the source switch was a very nice addition to the Jot 2) from the Lyr 3, I'm listening balanced with the Senn HD800S's.

I'm now looking for a good (great) tube pre-amp, balanced a plus. I'd appreciate any suggestions (anything below 2K).

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,448 of 2,952
It‘s such a shame. I would very much like to buy one. Great specs, but to many quality issues to risk an import to Germany and Schiit Europe seems to be dead.....
Maybe later this year. Or in 2022. Schiit is opening a second factory in Texas, they might eventually get to a point where they can build enough units to be able send more to Schiit Europe. On January 30th, Schiit Europe said « a few more weeks ». That was two months ago.

But maybe eventually, one day, they will have something to sell.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,449 of 2,952
It is a bit tougher for folks ordering from Europe and the potential monetary risk of returning back a defective unit. But for folks in the US, I would not hold back. It's a very good amp at a very good price. Definitely worth a try.
I'm curious why you consider ordering from Europe presents a greater monetary risk?

I'm assuming Europeans receive the same 5 year warranty we in the civilized world (US) receive.

Love to hear your lamentations.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #1,450 of 2,952
I'm curious why you consider ordering from Europe presents a greater monetary risk?

I'm assuming Europeans receive the same 5 year warranty we in the civilized world (US) receive.

Love to hear your lamentations.
Couple of posts before mine mentioned they are on the fence on buying the Jot2 direct from Schiit USA if they are from Europe due to the shipping and import fees (I am assuming) and due to recent posts that few had to return their defective Jot2 are making them think twice since returning it back to USA might be more costly. As a fellow from USA, I was just feeling empathy for them and can understand their concerns.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #1,455 of 2,952
Mine is dual-purposed as a night light.

DlD5hw9.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back