Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #721 of 2,957
I agree with MattTCG. The Jot 2 actually sounds really good SE (i.e., if BAL wasn't an option, I'd still consider the Jot 2 a quality headphone amp). That said, the improvement in separation and clarity is noticeable when switching to XLR. Definitely worth purchasing balanced cables for your headphones if you don't already own them.
+1 for me as well. I was running my Hifiman Aryas via their stock cable through the Jot 2 SE output. When my BAL aftermarket cable arrived, there was definitely an improvement in separation and clarity when running the Jot 2 via XLR, not huge, but noticeable. Also, I figure you have to attribute some of the sonic differences from the aftermarket cable as well - a little bit of both.

In terms of my Jot 2 and Bifrost 2 stack getting warm, they get warm, but not hot to the point where I'm worried. I leave them on at all times as well.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #722 of 2,957
I'm planning to get JOT2. my current dac is Mimby. but i'm thinking about getting a balanced dac. so between Soncoz la-qxd1 and Modius, which should I get. I mean Modius makes a perfect stack with JOT2 but people are praising this soncoz's sonic performance so much. I don't care about extra features of Soncoz but I wouldn't mind to sacrifice the form factor and stackability of Modius in favor of better sound of Soncoz (IF that's the case). So any advice? Do either of Modius or soncoz sound better than Mimby to begin with? I love R2R sound presentation but my budget is tight so Bifrost2 is out of budget. thanks in advance

well, Soncoz is a great dac type, but the ESS chip doesnt sound as good for the people who actually ordered it and tested it. Measures great, sounds great, but, tired ears faster, then AKM, much faster than mimby. Topping e30 not balanced but sounds so much better, has a remote, a display, cheaper... no decent priced balanced dac out there really.
modius maybe be a great dac, it has no dsd, no remote, is delta sigma, but can be great dac if you dont need remote or display or DSD.

I think mimby via RCA is a very very good DAC, probably easy on the ear than all delta sigma... I didn't use it myself though, but get a better dac, dont get a dac just as good or a worse sounding dac with XLR connections, buy a better dac or dont buy any. Bifrost2 definitely better, ARES 2 even better.

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #723 of 2,957
I've been using this stack for the past couple of days and love it. No problems at all. No complains but one thing to point out is that Jot 2 runs hot at the bottom, it makes BF2 pretty hot after 5 hours + of use. So I got these rubber bump pads to lift it up. So far it kind of fixes the problem. BF2 is still a little bit hot but much better than before.

nice. i like the supreme sticker as well

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #724 of 2,957
I've been using this stack for the past couple of days and love it. No problems at all. No complains but one thing to point out is that Jot 2 runs hot at the bottom, it makes BF2 pretty hot after 5 hours + of use. So I got these rubber bump pads to lift it up. So far it kind of fixes the problem. BF2 is still a little bit hot but much better than before.
where did you obtain the rubber bump pads if you don't mind saying. Thanks!

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #726 of 2,957
Feb 6, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #727 of 2,957
I'll meet at the Surgaree in Newhall Cali, we'll buy our Schiit together buddy!
Awesome, how is the current stock going on? delivery times still long? I´m certainly not in a hurry. Just hope they are all good in great health, no rush, no stress, we can all wait, first things first. Covid hard for everyone, gotta always be patient all the time. I bet is sunny over there. Wonder also if anyone run these as pre amp with external speakers and could comment. balanced and rca.

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #729 of 2,957
which is the main thread?

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #731 of 2,957
The JOT2 has been cool comparing to my good old JOT1, but even with my JOT1, it is not something that I would worry about, comparing to those pure class A and big tube amps that I had decades ago.

I have always had my JOT1 stacked on top of the BF2 since I have them, was thinking my JOT1 might be a little bit warm, it is still far from an issue.

Now, even with my powered off JOT1 (I am giving it to my father later this month) on top of the JOT2, and JOT2 on top of the BF2. Never feel really hot with my JOT2, it is indeed even cooler comparing to my good old JOT1 operating alone.

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #733 of 2,957
Feb 8, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #734 of 2,957
So I just upgraded from Modi 3+ to Mimby to use with the Jot2 and holy crap was it worth it(honeymoon stage of course, but I'm happy). I know the multibit is supposed to stay on for like a day before it plays its fullest but just after 5 minutes with it the treble detail is way better and smoother, dynamics are easier to feel etc than on Modi 3+. It's interesting because I think with the Modi 3+/Jot2 may not be a great pairing, treble was borderline harsh for me on my GL2000, but I didn't have that issue with Modi 3+/Magni 3+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back