Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #706 of 2,957
Im seeing people say the Single End performance is sub-par for the Jot 2, anyone seem to agree?
Nope. Once I did level matching much about the same performance, however both SE and BAL output was fed into BAL input. Headphones used, Arya, LCD-XC and T1 2nd. I found difference between low and high gain, though.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #708 of 2,957
I want these so bad! But I think I'll just try and find a monoprice 887 for under $240.

IMO the newer Schiit discrete amplifiers (Lyr3, Asgard 3, Jot 2) are worth the wait. Because of COVID and supply chain disruptions that it causes, plus large numbers of people working-from-home, the best audio products are in high demand, and therefore will have limited availability and often in back-order. I have an A3 myself (waited about a month for it in the fall of 2020), and definitely much nicer in terms of detail (without being overly bright or etched), soundstage depth, midrange transparency, than A2 that it recently replaced.

(edited)
While I don't currently have a Jot 2, many who own(ed) a D90 A90 have bought and kept the Jot 2.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #709 of 2,957
I've been using this stack for the past couple of days and love it. No problems at all. No complains but one thing to point out is that Jot 2 runs hot at the bottom, it makes BF2 pretty hot after 5 hours + of use. So I got these rubber bump pads to lift it up. So far it kind of fixes the problem. BF2 is still a little bit hot but much better than before.

Attachments

• IMG_4903.jpg
    IMG_4903.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4902.jpg
    IMG_4902.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #710 of 2,957
Sub par is somewhat of an overstatement IMO. SE performance is quite good actually. It's just that the BAL output is a good step up the ladder. If you want to get the best performance from this amp, you'll want to get balanced cables for your headphones. That's my take anyway.
I agree with MattTCG. The Jot 2 actually sounds really good SE (i.e., if BAL wasn't an option, I'd still consider the Jot 2 a quality headphone amp). That said, the improvement in separation and clarity is noticeable when switching to XLR. Definitely worth purchasing balanced cables for your headphones if you don't already own them.

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #711 of 2,957
I've been using this stack for the past couple of days and love it. No problems at all. No complains but one thing to point out is that Jot 2 runs hot at the bottom, it makes BF2 pretty hot after 5 hours + of use. So I got these rubber bump pads to lift it up. So far it kind of fixes the problem. BF2 is still a little bit hot but much better than before.
Interesting solution. Where did you purchase the rubber bump pads? I currently have my Valhalla 2 stacked on top of my Jot 2, which is stacked on top of my Bifrost 2. After an hour or so, I can roast hot dogs over the three of them! :hotdog:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #712 of 2,957
I agree with MattTCG. The Jot 2 actually sounds really good SE (i.e., if BAL wasn't an option, I'd still consider the Jot 2 a quality headphone amp). That said, the improvement in separation and clarity is noticeable when switching to XLR. Definitely worth purchasing balanced cables for your headphones if you don't already own them.

Fully agree with both of you, it’s a great amp when used SE, but like with some other amps balanced takes it up a notch.

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #713 of 2,957
Interesting solution. Where did you purchase the rubber bump pads? I currently have my Valhalla 2 stacked on top of my Jot 2, which is stacked on top of my Bifrost 2. After an hour or so, I can roast hot dogs over the three of them! :hotdog:
Got it from Amazon, they have it in black or clear. I chose clear since it matches the white and silver theme I have for my desk setup. My BF2 is actually still pretty hot so I think I might use another four bumpers and lift it up even higher.

What I discovered after putting my Jot 2 on my desk instead of on the BF2 is that the Jot 2 warmed up the bottom of my wooden desk. The bottom of my desk was lukewarm. So I might put it side by side again if this stacking solution isn't working.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #714 of 2,957
Got it from Amazon, they have it in black or clear. I chose clear since it matches the white and silver theme I have for my desk setup. My BF2 is actually still pretty hot so I think I might use another four bumpers and lift it up even higher.

What I discovered after putting my Jot 2 on my desk instead of on the BF2 is that the Jot 2 warmed up the bottom of my wooden desk. The bottom of my desk was lukewarm. So I might put it side by side again if this stacking solution isn't working.
Thanks Midnight12. Just as an FYI, after receiving my Valhalla 2 (an amp that runs extremely hot), I wrote to Schiit to make sure it was okay to stack it on top of my Bifrost 2. Tom (from Schiit) responded to me an wrote: "It is perfectly fine to stack Valhalla 2 on top of the Bifrost 2." Since this is the case with the much warmer Valhalla, I assume it's also fine to stack the Jot 2 the same way. That said, I'm sure the clear bump pads help with dissipating the heat.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #715 of 2,957
Thanks Midnight12. Just as an FYI, after receiving my Valhalla 2 (an amp that runs extremely hot), I wrote to Schiit to make sure it was okay to stack it on top of my Bifrost 2. Tom (from Schiit) responded to me an wrote: "It is perfectly fine to stack Valhalla 2 on top of the Bifrost 2." Since this is the case with the much warmer Valhalla, I assume it's also fine to stack the Jot 2 the same way. That said, I'm sure the clear bump pads help with dissipating the heat.
I appreciate the info. I actually prefer them stacked together.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #717 of 2,957
I had my Jot 1 and have my Jot 2 sandwiched between a Bifrost and a Lyr.
Both Jots get/got warm but not hot.
I did have a Jot 1 at first that I returned because it came hot enough to fry an egg on. Not kidding, you couldn't touch it, you could just touch the volume knob and that was already too hot.

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #718 of 2,957
I'm planning to get JOT2. my current dac is Mimby. but i'm thinking about getting a balanced dac. so between Soncoz la-qxd1 and Modius, which should I get. I mean Modius makes a perfect stack with JOT2 but people are praising this soncoz's sonic performance so much. I don't care about extra features of Soncoz but I wouldn't mind to sacrifice the form factor and stackability of Modius in favor of better sound of Soncoz (IF that's the case). So any advice? Do either of Modius or soncoz sound better than Mimby to begin with? I love R2R sound presentation but my budget is tight so Bifrost2 is out of budget. thanks in advance

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #719 of 2,957
If you prefer R2R DACs then the Modi Multibit is the one to get. I have compared using S/PDIF coax input, Bifrost (gen 1) multibit to Modi3+, and prefer the Bifrost. AFAIK Bifrost OG and Modi Multibit use same digital receiver chip, digital filter, ADC chip and analog output stage. differences vs Bifrost are in the linear psu, plus modularity (separate USB and analog modules)

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #720 of 2,957
If you prefer R2R DACs then the Modi Multibit is the one to get. I have compared using S/PDIF coax input, Bifrost (gen 1) multibit to Modi3+, and prefer the Bifrost. AFAIK Bifrost OG and Modi Multibit use same digital receiver chip, digital filter, ADC chip and analog output stage. differences vs Bifrost are in the linear psu, plus modularity (separate USB and analog modules)

I second that. The Modi Multibit is a great little DAC! I use the Modi Multibit in my speaker system and the original Bifrost Multibit in my headphone system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back