Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #661 of 2,957
Here are my stream of consciousness thoughts on Jot 2. This unit has been "burned in" for about a week and most testing was done with an hd650/ETHER 2

Cons: (start with the not so great)

* I don't like the light on the front as it's just too bright. I though they fixed this with the newer schiit?

* Not great as a pre-amp. Functionally the pre-amp is just decent, but if I had a real need for a good pre-amp, I would feel compelled to get something better.

* Performance is not quite as good through SE outs vs balanced. Not nearly as good actually.

* Takes a good hour to warm up, reach thermal equilibrium and sound/perform it's best. I can certainly see some people using this amp initially and jumping to conclusions about it. It would certainly be easy to do. I plan to leave mine on 24/7.

* Maybe a 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm output would have been appropriate

Pros: (the good stuff and there's a lot of it)

* the performance and sound of the amp has exceeded my expectations. If I'm being honest, I somewhat expected another "decent" mid-fi product from Schiit. The Jot 2 is much better than "decent" and just might be my favorite Schiit amp. The lyr3 has held this title for a good while, beating out the mjo 2 with choice set of NOS tubes.

* volume control works WELL. The potentiomer is both smooth and linear. The volume/SPL level tracks well even at the bottom of the range and holds it's composure nicely as you get past 12:00.

* speed and quickness are exceptional. This is what I expect from a good SS amp and Jot 2 has this in spades. I get a good sense of instruments and air as they trail across the stage. Speaking of stage, it's not bad here. Not great, but not bad. Better than most Schiit amps in fact.

* tonality, timbre, and grip on the driver are all excellent. It's not easy to get a SS amp to have that dash of lushness that comes with a tube amp or hybrid. Jot 2 offers just enough of that warmth to make it a very engaging and enjoyable experience. Vocals can be shockingly convincing and realistic. Listening to Gregory Porter I can easily make out the tone of that deep husky baritone. Porter is known for his ability to change pace and level very quickly. And those dynamics play out effortlessly on the jot 2. Great punch with this amp. In fact, if you take the dynamic capacity of the mjo 2 and add the subtle sweet tone from the lyr 3 you'd be getting close to the sound of the Jot 2.

* For me, the real magic with the jot 2 is through the balanced out. The SE is fine, but somewhat unremarkable. I started out with this amp on SE. Switching to balanced and letting the amp warm for better than an hour began to really impress me. I also appreciate that you get the balanced output no matter what is source is used.

* Jot 2 treats high impedance Senns and planars equally well. This put the amp into a good "all rounder" territory.

X Factor:

* Well, if you can't tell by now the Jot 2 certainly has the X factor IMHO. It's engaging, with no fatal flaws sonically to detract from it's excellent performance. When I'm cueing up music with a new amp, and find myself mouthing the word "wow" involuntarily I can tell I'm listening to something special. At $400 the jot 2 is a no brainer and quite possibly Schiit's best amp. Well done Jason and team Schiit.

Edit...I also appreciate that the jot 2 does not get as hot as most all of the older Schiit amps. I was never comfortable leaving them on for any extended period of time. This amp only gets a fraction as warm as those amps, so I won't worry about leaving it running. I will be reporting back with more details after listening and testing for the rest of the week. I want a chance to test with different headphones and DACS. Check for potential synergies and the like.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #662 of 2,957
I'd also like to add that the manual does say that you can use both outputs. The way it's phrased makes me think that the only issue should be volume matching
Perhaps there's a fault. Is it in the amp, the cord assemblies, the headphones? It takes time to source gremlins. The only observed fault is when using both headphone outputs.

I'm an advocate of the Henny Youngman corollary.

Man goes to Doctor. Man: "Doctor, my arm hurts when I move it this way". Doctor: "So don't move it that way".

For the 12 other people on this board who remember HY, Cheers!

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #663 of 2,957
Perhaps there's a fault. Is it in the amp, the cord assemblies, the headphones? It takes time to source gremlins. The only observed fault is when using both headphone outputs.

I'm an advocate of the Henny Youngman corollary.

Man goes to Doctor. Man: "Doctor, my arm hurts when I move it this way". Doctor: "So don't move it that way".

For the 12 other people on this board who remember HY, Cheers!
Take my wife, please!

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #664 of 2,957
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #665 of 2,957
@MattTCG

I bought led dimmer stickers from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLVEQC...abc_2D7A1BVT649NCJSCRRK4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I say buy this NOW.

Used a small circular one on both the Jot 2 led as well as the Modius usb indicator (as its gonna be the one that is mainly on, though I may add one on the optical indicator. edit: nevermind, i straightened the stickers and put one on each indicator so they look symmetrical).

It makes such a drastic difference, I started putting those stickers on ALL the led lights I could find throughout the house. It's that good. The light dissipates inches away, as opposed to piercing the entire room.

Hard for me to showcase the difference with my cam, but it's drastic.

20210202_003654.jpg

Below is the left led (usb) being chosen. It's just bright enough that you know it's selected, but it's not much brighter than the light bleed from the other ones.

Snapchat-1282237965.jpg

Here's the optical (2nd to the left) being chosen as a comparison (no led dimmer on this one)

Snapchat-111643447.jpg

Schiit, if you're gonna use led indicators please use red leds. At worst, amber. Please no more white or blue.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #666 of 2,957
White is ok, otherwise green leds, but never blue please. Never blue. White is ok, they should be just dimmer. And the on off switch on the front. Schiitt don't really care abou the details, or better said, "it makes the thing more expensive" as they would say, so, it is ok like this.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #667 of 2,957
Here are my stream of consciousness thoughts on Jot 2. This unit has been "burned in" for about a week and most testing was done with an hd650/ETHER 2

Cons: (start with the not so great)

* I don't like the light on the front as it's just too bright. I though they fixed this with the newer schiit?

* Not great as a pre-amp. Functionally the pre-amp is just decent, but if I had a real need for a good pre-amp, I would feel compelled to get something better.

* Performance is not quite as good through SE outs vs balanced. Not nearly as good actually.

Thank you so much for your detailed impression. Could you please elaborate on the pre-amp function, why not as good as it should? you would prefer the A90 as pre-amp.

I would be using this thing 90% of time with Adam studio monitors and adam subwoofer. So about 1500€ in amped speakers setup, if the pre amp is not good, or send weird audio or too coloured, not a good thing I guess. But please elaborate, thanks a lot in advance!!!

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #668 of 2,957
Just promise, no drooling!
Those are some really beautiful photos, great LCD-XC, love the covers they use, carbon or wood, always beautiful.
Very good finish in the amp if you ask me for this price. The black finish looks good quality, thick, and the plate is cur 45º on the edges, very nice touch. I will paint the volume indicator too.

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #669 of 2,957
I have the dreaded volume knob issue on mine. I hate to go through the hassle of returning it, but it is in fact irritating.

It is getting better with use. But the grinding feeling happens at the span where I most use the volume control (ie, about 9:00 to 12:00 position), and is in stark contrast with the silky feeling over the rest of the range.

I have tried to pull the knob out, but it won't budge. And since it is recessed, I can't pry it out. Ugh.

The knob is kinda gaudy and stands out from the aesthetics of the rest of the unit. If I can ever get the knob off, I will sand the crap out of it to get the shine and ripple effect off of it.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #670 of 2,957
I have the dreaded volume knob issue on mine. I hate to go through the hassle of returning it, but it is in fact irritating.

It is getting better with use. But the grinding feeling happens at the span where I most use the volume control (ie, about 9:00 to 12:00 position), and is in stark contrast with the silky feeling over the rest of the range.

I have tried to pull the knob out, but it won't budge. And since it is recessed, I can't pry it out. Ugh.

The knob is kinda gaudy and stands out from the aesthetics of the rest of the unit. If I can ever get the knob off, I will sand the crap out of it to get the shine and ripple effect off of it.

Just got to pull firmer. It took a bit of force when I tried myself

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #671 of 2,957

Due to the type of insert, the knob comes off all at once if enough pull force is applied. As to the noise, even with the knob off, the control is not mechanically silent. I hear a faint but consistent "shush" noise as I turn it through its range. I would not describe it as "grinding" however. As you can see in the picture, it is machined out of a solid billet
IMG_7125.jpeg
and its only potential for contact through rotation is with the locking nut as you can see below:

IMG_7126.jpeg

Therefore, once you get the nut off, you should be able to see scratches in the rear of the knob if the noise is caused by the nut. If you still hear an inconsistent noise by turning the shaft, then I would contact Schiit as this is a defective pot.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #672 of 2,957
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #673 of 2,957
Thanks! Yes, it came off!!!

With a little sanding or maybe some demel action, this should be fixed.

But then again, I found some MUCH better looking knobs on ebay... 🤔🤔

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Kno...-/312530392197?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-V...-/193704192766?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Great to hear you got it off. BTW neither of these knobs will work if you want them to fit within the inset as the stock knob is 30mm.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #674 of 2,957
As to the noise, even with the knob off, the control is not mechanically silent. I hear a faint but consistent "shush" noise as I turn it through its range. I would not describe it as "grinding" however.
Potentiometers have a piece of metal that moves over a piece of resistive material, they have friction, it's the way they work.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #675 of 2,957
MAybe one of the true experts in this forum could explain, in what part of the pot is it good idea to put a bit of grease, so it is smooth acting, and where not such a great idea. Not just for this pot, but for any similar pot. some seem to get worse with age, but mechanically worse... experts will know about this thing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back