Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #151 of 2,948
  • So why my initial impression that volume was lower? Because the mids and treble of the Jot 2 are much more refined and pleasant than those of the Jot OG, which leads to the desire to keep cranking it up. I wouldn't say the Jot 2 is warm per se, but it is warmer than Jot OG, which was on the bright side of the spectrum.

Thanks for sharing your impressions! The treble on the Jotunheim 1 was a bit too much for my ears, and I'm happy that the V2 has been improved in this area.

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #156 of 2,948
So the preouts here are always running, always, you gotta press that new switch to turn them off, only way. And then, headphones need to be disconnected to mute... but even if you connect the headphones, preouts are on, gotta press that switch to turn them off...

Maybe schiit people should go less to the brewery?? maybe then they put the power switch on the front? any thoughts?

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #157 of 2,948
The DAC cards have USB Gen5, so if you want Unison (spoiler alert: you do), you’ll want an external DAC.

The internal Multibit DAC card is all right, but Bifrost 2 outclasses it in just about every aspect. Plus an external DAC doesn’t leech off the amp’s power supply.
I agree, In my mind and from what I heard, the internal card is not as good as a seperate DAC. It leaches power from the internal power supply of the amp and doesnt run at the requisite 2v or 4v output of a standalone DAC. Not to mention you are limited to one input. An external DAC will be superior from the standpoint of having its own power supply, more inputs, sound quality and the fact that you can transfer it to any device should you want to upgrade your amp down the line. The Modi 3+ is $99 and has multiple inputs as well as Unison so this may very well be the best option for you. I haven't heard it so I can't comment on the sound quality but I am sure that for that $99 you can't lose. If multibit is your thing, you can look at the Modi multibit which is $250. Also, for $200 which would be the same price as the Internal multibit card, you can opt for the modius which is an AKM 4493 and can be run balanced and would stack with the JOT 2 perfectly. This Dac also sounds great for the price and has Unison as well. If an all in one unit is what you are looking for either internal card will provide good sound quality just not the best at the requisite price point.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #159 of 2,948
Brought in the New Year by turning the lights off and listening to Tool - Fear Inoculum, with the Jot 2 feeding my LCD-Xes via the balanced output (High gain), a religious experience to say the least. Love the new preamp output switching...very handy. Terrific sounding amp!
Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #160 of 2,948
Brought in the New Year by turning the lights off and listening to Tool - Fear Inoculum, with the Jot 2 feeding my LCD-Xes via the balanced output (High gain), a religious experience to say the least.

Happy New Year!

Doesn't get much better than that.:metal:

Happy New Year, everyone!! :gs1000smile:

May 2021 be the beginning of better times for all. :pray:

giphy (10).gif

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #161 of 2,948
... put the power switch on the front? any thoughts?
I won't buy any gear with a power switch on the front because I know the designer has been compromised and their owner is a libby lib who probably wears a mask too.

Both the Modius and Modi Multibit are great DACs. Very different though.
I prefer the mimby, though I admit it's probably because it cost me more money.

Speaking of Mimby, and I have to be really quiet because she's sleeping ...

what do you guys who've done it think of upgrading to Bifrost 2 or Yggy GS? Why?

sorry to steer back on topic, trying to keep from doing this ...

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #163 of 2,948
Bifrost 2 is an incredible DAC. If you want a Modi Multibit upgrade, I highly recommend it.
As great sounding as the Mimby is, the Bimby2 takes the resolution up a couple notches while maintaining the Mimby's overall tonality. I really love mine. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #164 of 2,948
Both the Modius and Modi Multibit are great DACs. Very different though.
I prefer the mimby, though I admit it
As great sounding as the Mimby is, the Bimby2 takes the resolution up a couple notches while maintaining the Mimby's overall tonality. I really love mine. :o2smile:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I need two dacs anyway and Bifrost is the right size ... until the Lokiest or w/e it is called is released ...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back