Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #76 of 2,952
From first impressions, Jot 2 has more width and depth than Jot 1. Both Asgard 2 and Lyr 3. I think the Continuity solution may increase soundstage.

Jot 2 has a bit of that "holographic" sound that creates a sense of three dimensionality to music, whereas Jot 1 was a more 2D image.

I've never really heard much of a height component to music so can't help there. The Jot 2 soundstage is much improved and there is a greater sense of space between sounds than with Jot 1. Jot 1 generates a very intense high energy experience, but is very focus near the ears. Jot 2 takes that out to the shoulder, very similar to Jyr 3. I'd have to go back and forth to see which amp wins on staging. The intensity (slam factor) of the Jot 1 is maintained in Jot 2, but now takes up a larger sphere.

My only complaints with Jot 1 were treble detail and staging and Jot 2 fixes both of these issues for me.

Regarding Mjolinir 2, I've only heard it at CanJam fed by Gungnir Multibit into Aeon 1 open. From memory, Jot 2 wins on speed and maybe imaging but I'd have to hear again. Both have really meaty bass that is very well textured. I think staging was better on Mjolnir 2.

I was going to get a Mjolnir 2 but then Lyr 3 came out and fit on my desk better. Gungnir Multibit > Mjolnir 2 > Aeon open was a really amazing combo with extremely satisfying bass. It had an immediate wow factor and I'd love to hear this setup again, but it wasn't at CanJam 2020.
Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #80 of 2,952
Hello,
The Jot 1/original Jot expresses changes in volume magnitude unwell. Every singer/ instrumental notes are always as loud as others.
May i ask if the Jot 2 suffers that problem? Thank you
Jot2 has a bit of this in high gain, low gain sounded different to me. Less sharp, could listen forever.

Problem is the huge power. I've got almost no room on the pot.

SE, not a fan of this on the Jot 2. Should have found a different solution here.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #81 of 2,952
Jot2 has a bit of this in high gain, low gain sounded different to me. Less sharp, could listen forever.

Every Schiit amp I've owned so far (which is most of them) have varying degrees of this effect.

On certain Schiit amps, the low gain setting causes everything to become too laid-back sounding, and the dynamics of the music suffers, so the high gain setting sounds the best.

But on other Schiit amps, the high gain setting causes everything to sound too foward and up-front, and the music just becomes a wall of sound, so the low gain setting sounds the best.

There is no 'correct' choice, though. It just comes down to which setting sounds best to you on the headphones that you're using.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #90 of 2,952
angels mixes are interesting. Beauty is more confident and unless I'm wrong on the sequence of events, these sessions came after Workingman's and they are feeling their oats from it's success.

Of course these don't reward the same way Hot Rats Sessions does which had some real mother f's showing what the term really means and demonstrates Zappa's band management intelligence in a way that a normal release doesn't. I saw the track list for Sessions and was like 'What do I want to hear 3 trys at the piano section?' but it was as a rewarding experience as I've ever had with this kind of all inclusive release.

Can't wait to hear the 50th anniversary of Mars and Blues for Allah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back