Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #91 of 2,944
Umm my XLR is stuck in the Jot2. Anyone know why that would happen? Guess I'll have to send it back?

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #92 of 2,944
@tcellguy What's your preference so far in between balanced and single end with the Verite Closed?

Balanced out is much better than SE in terms of soundstage, detail, and clarity. SE is still very good and an interesting sound. The treble becomes warmer, more like Asgard 3, but still much more extended in the treble than that amp. The "edges" of the music become less sharp, a bit softer in treble and bass. It has a tube-like warmth to the treble.

Balanced takes the realism to a higher level.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #93 of 2,944
Umm my XLR is stuck in the Jot2. Anyone know why that would happen? Guess I'll have to send it back?

I had this problem with some mini xlr plugs into headphones. Removing the shell from the XLR plug by untwisting the strain reliev part of the connector allowed it to come free by allowing me to press down on the latch. Might give it a try so you dont have to send the cable back with it.

Dec 27, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #94 of 2,944
I was able to remove the inner part of the cable, but the shell is still stuck in there unfortunately. Doh. Ah well, at least I can listen to it until Schiit gets back to me. Can't comment on SQ yet, but definitely some improvements compared to my Jot1.

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #95 of 2,944
I was able to remove the inner part of the cable, but the shell is still stuck in there unfortunately. Doh. Ah well, at least I can listen to it until Schiit gets back to me. Can't comment on SQ yet, but definitely some improvements compared to my Jot1.
Its likely the key of the shell is hung up on the socket. The key is at 10pm (facing the unit) so if you wiggle the shell from 10 to 4 as you are pulling you can likely work it out gradually.

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #96 of 2,944
While I had my Jot 2 (I had to return it because of a distortion issue), I also noticed that it's XLR-4 jack would make a weird 'popping' noise and the connector would get slightly snagged on something whenever I inserted it or removed it. It never got stuck, but I had the feeling that there was something wrong with the XLR-4 input jack.

I guess you can add that to the list of issues that some of the early Jot 2's seem to be having. :confounded:

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #98 of 2,944
I wonder if it is a QC problem or tolerances unaccounted for in manufacturing. I am leaning towards a QC problem just cause of the knob issue should've been spotted before getting packaged.

I don't know when Schiit started ramping up production line and assembly (from the Schiit Videos, it looks like they got a whole factory going on with lots of people working on the products) but last I read someone does a listening test for all the products. If they did a listening then surely they would've tested the plugs, turned the knobs and flip all the switches to check for irregularities.

I get my replacement in a couple of days, hopefully there are no issues.

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #99 of 2,944
I wonder if it is a QC problem or tolerances unaccounted for in manufacturing. I am leaning towards a QC problem just cause of the knob issue should've been spotted before getting packaged.

I don't know when Schiit started ramping up production line and assembly (from the Schiit Videos, it looks like they got a whole factory going on with lots of people working on the products) but last I read someone does a listening test for all the products. If they did a listening then surely they would've tested the plugs, turned the knobs and flip all the switches to check for irregularities.

I get my replacement in a couple of days, hopefully there are no issues.
The way the XLR socket mates with the chassis where the outer shell is flush with the front of the faceplate, means that its likely not a tolerance problem due to an assembly issue but may simply be that of the XLR plug channel and the socket key are sticking. We know Schiit uses Neutrik XLRs which are industry standouts, but prazvt didn't report on the XLR brand he was inserting. If it was an undersized faceplate hole that was putting pressure around the edge of the socket, then prazvt could remove the top cover and that would release the tension. I consider that less likely as many of us would have experienced that as well. Obviously, remote troubleshooting is a b***h.

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #100 of 2,944
Well, I have been here slaving away:L3000: since earlier this morning when I received my Jotunheim 2. I have to say, I am really impressed. Jason & company have really hit it outta the park with this one. I started listening (Jot 2>Bifrost2 balanced) with my Hifiman Arya's (balanced). I am coming from aTopping A90 so bear with me. Most of the day I am thinking to myself, wow this Amp has some soundstage! Very wide and holographic at times. Then it dawned on me, as it has been said in the past, the Arya's are (soundstage wise), a planar HD800's. The Jotunheim 2 was for the first time actually maximizing the capability of this headphone! Sure, it sounded great on the A90, but the A90 wasn't maximizing the capability of the headphone from a soundstage perspective as the Arya has a wide and tall image and the Jot 2 brought that out. It's not just about enough power to drive it, it's about maximizing the capability of the headphone. And that percussion! This amp really slams. The Jot 2 is nothing like the original and definitely a nice upgrade. I would also say that this amp has a nice sub bass which gives it a nice and enjoyable tonality. I broke out my trusty HD600's (balanced) and again it's like I am hearing this headphone for the first time again. I always preferred the HD600's over the 650's BTW, just how I roll :ksc75smile:. Again this headphone really sounds great especially with that sub bass as we all know the HD600 is bass lite so it is a welcome addition. I am not saying this is a warm amplifier but it is ever so slighty warm side of neutral. Just enough to sound really nice which I like. Hope this helps!

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #101 of 2,944
Well, I have been here slaving away:L3000: since earlier this morning when I received my Jotunheim 2. I have to say, I am really impressed. Jason & company have really hit it outta the park with this one. I started listening (Jot 2>Bifrost2 balanced) with my Hifiman Arya's (balanced). I am coming from aTopping A90 so bear with me. Most of the day I am thinking to myself, wow this Amp has some soundstage! Very wide and holographic at times. Then it dawned on me, as it has been said in the past, the Arya's are (soundstage wise), a planar HD800's. The Jotunheim 2 was for the first time actually maximizing the capability of this headphone! Sure, it sounded great on the A90, but the A90 wasn't maximizing the capability of the headphone from a soundstage perspective as the Arya has a wide and tall image and the Jot 2 brought that out. It's not just about enough power to drive it, it's about maximizing the capability of the headphone. And that percussion! This amp really slams. The Jot 2 is nothing like the original and definitely a nice upgrade. I would also say that this amp has a nice sub bass which gives it a nice and enjoyable tonality. I broke out my trusty HD600's (balanced) and again it's like I am hearing this headphone for the first time again. I always preferred the HD600's over the 650's BTW, just how I roll :ksc75smile:. Again this headphone really sounds great especially with that sub bass as we all know the HD600 is bass lite so it is a welcome addition. I am not saying this is a warm amplifier but it is ever so slighty warm side of neutral. Just enough to sound really nice which I like. Hope this helps!
You got me excited with this review! I sold my a90 to buy the the jot and I have the arya as well. Can’t wait.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #102 of 2,944
You got me excited with this review! I sold my a90 to buy the the jot and I have the arya as well. Can’t wait.
Great! Hope you enjoy it as much as I am. What DAC are you using? LMK what you think of it once you get it. Try and use it balanced if you can. I used my Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm briefly and it sounded good single ended but didnt do much testing in this configuration yet.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #103 of 2,944
Great! Hope you enjoy it as much as I am. What DAC are you using? LMK what you think of it once you get it. Try and use it balanced if you can. I used my Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm briefly and it sounded good single ended but didnt do much testing in this configuration yet.
Bifrost 2. Other cans are Elegia and Argon Mk. 3

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #105 of 2,944
Mine just got here tonight. I've been A/B-ing it with the old Jot 1, both fed by Bifrost 2 and using Aeolus headphones.

This could possibly outrank the Lyr 3 as I mentioned on the Schiit thread. Holy smokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back