Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #556 of 2,957
He always talks good about everything he reviews... Everything's great in rainbowland!

He's said in the past that he doesn't publish any negative reviews. So if he doesn't like something he just doesn't publish anything on it. Understandable but it does make it seem like he's all rainbows, and also makes you wonder how much stuff he doesn't like.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #557 of 2,957
He's said in the past that he doesn't publish any negative reviews. So if he doesn't like something he just doesn't publish anything on it. Understandable but it does make it seem like he's all rainbows, and also makes you wonder how much stuff he doesn't like.

He can do a good job of recognizing the srengths of a given product while not loving it personally, though. An example is his Focal Elegia review:

You can tell he doesn't really like the approach Focal took with Elegia but he's still able to give credit where credit is due and describe its strengths. TBH I'm not sure where that fits in with his not publishing bad reviews policy(?) That wasn't a bad review but it wasn't glowing either.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #558 of 2,957
He can do a good job of recognizing the srengths of a given product while not loving it personally, though. An example is his Focal Elegia review:

You can tell he doesn't really like the approach Focal took with Elegia but he's still able to give credit where credit is due and describe its strengths. TBH I'm not sure where that fits in with his not publishing bad reviews policy(?) That wasn't a bad review but it wasn't glowing either.

I haven't watched many of his videos - I'd prefer to read something than watch a video. Maybe he's changed his tune somewhat since his CNET days

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #560 of 2,957
Jot 2 dispatched! 😁

I will be feeding it with a Bifrost 2 but wanted to check if it's better to feed it via RCA or XLR from the Bifrost 2?

My headphone use will be a mix of SE and Balanced but in terms of my permanent connection between B2 and Jot2, is it fine to keep them connected by XLR?

Going to interesting comparing the Jot 2 & Asgard 3 in SE output 😁
yes, connection via XLR between Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2 works fine for both SE (TRS) and Balanced (XLR4) headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #561 of 2,957
Jot 2 dispatched! 😁

I will be feeding it with a Bifrost 2 but wanted to check if it's better to feed it via RCA or XLR from the Bifrost 2?

My headphone use will be a mix of SE and Balanced but in terms of my permanent connection between B2 and Jot2, is it fine to keep them connected by XLR?

Going to interesting comparing the Jot 2 & Asgard 3 in SE output 😁
As a side note, I have the same setup and have my Bifrost 2 connected to both the Jot2 (via XLR) and the Valhalla 2 (via RCA). This works well if you want to quickly switch between solid state and tube to see how each sounds with different cans (i.e., the Bifrost 2 outputs to both amps simultaneously).

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #562 of 2,957
I've been a professional audio reviewer on and off for nearly 2 decades, and my observations are:

1) the stuff is difficult to write, while maintaining consistent quality. Even among reviewers, some have better ears than others, and some are better at describing what they hear.

2) there is no substitute for exposure to the sound of lots of equipment over time. Ie, experience helps you put gear into context vs competing gear.

3) ultimately, this is a business. It is easy to rail on reviewers who are on the take from wealthy audio companies. By and large, that doesn't happen - if it does, that's criminal bribery.

But what does happen, is that successful reviewers balance giving warranted criticism without wanting to be overly harsh. Reviewers do try to avoid releasing negative reviews, and companies that advertise do get more attention from reviewers - much the same as products get more attention from user when they are supported by more advertising.

Under these criteria, Steve Guttenberg has been a class act, and is at the top of the game IMHO.

He always talks good about everything he reviews... Everything's great in rainbowland!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #564 of 2,957
I can vouch for saving and getting an external DAC. I used to use a Modi Multibit, which has an equivalent USB input to the card's, and I remember it was very sensitive to defects with the source you used it with, for example, using it straight from a good PC would be alright, but using it with a phone through an OTG cable would result in noise when moving the phone, and if I used a cheaper cable it would pick up even more noise. All of this went away with Unison USB, when I upgraded to Bifrost 2. If I were you I would either save up for that, or get Modi 3+, which now has Unison USB.

Furthermore, having the two additional SPDIF inputs will help if you ever plan to get a dedicated streamer (e.g. I use a Raspberry Pi with an Allo DigiOne Signature on top), since many have SPDIF coax and/or optical out.
How does someone recommend two Schiit DACs without recommending the $200 balanced Modius?! The best measuring DAC Schiit has ever produced!

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #565 of 2,957
The modius/jot 2 stack is pretty sweet together. My modius often gets ignored since big Bifrost 2 is around. I prefer the balanced out it's much punchier sounding and less warm. They make happy music together ! PXL_20210126_232831536.PORTRAIT.jpg

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #566 of 2,957
I ordered mine on the 15th, and it just shipped today - to be delivered Saturday.

I can't wait to hear how it sounds, compared to the Topping A90 I just sold...

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #567 of 2,957
I ordered mine on the 15th, and it just shipped today - to be delivered Saturday.

I can't wait to hear how it sounds, compared to the Topping A90 I just sold...
Nice! Enjoy :thumbsup:

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #568 of 2,957
I have a Jot 2 with no add-in modules. It arrived the day before xmas. I have it paired currently with a Bifrost 2 balanced out to the Jot2 balanced in. It sounds really good to me. I have also paired it up with a Modius, also balanced to balanced and that sounded good too, but the Bifrost 2 takes the win. Although, comparing a $700 DAC to a $200 DAC that can be expected.

I don’t have a $2K+ amp to compare it to nor have I heard an amp in that range (yet I have a v281 shipping to me now) so I am unable to speak to that other than I’m pretty sure the Jot2 might have some qualities of an amp in that class but I doubt that it is a replacement. AKA the Jot 2 is not a giant killer, IMO. But it is a pretty darn good amp in its class.

Other amps I own that I can compare with the Jot 2 are an A3 and Liquid Platinum. Headphone I'm using are Hex V2, LCD-2pf (2.2), Elegia, Full Lawton Mod d5000 and a stock Th610.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #569 of 2,957
I have a Jot 2 with no add-in modules. It arrived the day before xmas. I have it paired currently with a Bifrost 2 balanced out to the Jot2 balanced in. It sounds really good to me. I have also paired it up with a Modius, also balanced to balanced and that sounded good too, but the Bifrost 2 takes the win. Although, comparing a $700 DAC to a $200 DAC that can be expected.

I don’t have a $2K+ amp to compare it to nor have I heard an amp in that range (yet I have a v281 shipping to me now) so I am unable to speak to that other than I’m pretty sure the Jot2 might have some qualities of an amp in that class but I doubt that it is a replacement. AKA the Jot 2 is not a giant killer, IMO. But it is a pretty darn good amp in its class.

Other amps I own that I can compare with the Jot 2 are an A3 and Liquid Platinum. Headphone I'm using are Hex V2, LCD-2pf (2.2), Elegia, Full Lawton Mod d5000 and a stock Th610.
If you had any experience with A90 and 789, Can you compare them to jot2? How is SE performance? Thanks in advance

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #570 of 2,957
How does someone recommend two Schiit DACs without recommending the $200 balanced Modius?! The best measuring DAC Schiit has ever produced!
Modius is a great DAC, but don't get distracted by measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back