Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #542 of 2,954
My new XLR cables came in. Everything is perfect now. No more noise through USB, perfect balance, so PYST is going back to Schiit. Maybe I'll ask for a mug and shirt as recompense :beerchug:

giphy.gif

I mean, yeah, the RCA connection between the Modius and Jot 2 through USB will be noisy from my PC, but it is what it is. Not something I plan on using.

Though if I want something like a Lyr 3 as an SE only amp for my Modius, I may have to deal with this issue down the line. Eh.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #546 of 2,954
My new XLR cables came in. Everything is perfect now. No more noise through USB, perfect balance, so PYST is going back to Schiit. Maybe I'll ask for a mug and shirt as recompense :beerchug:

giphy.gif

I mean, yeah, the RCA connection between the Modius and Jot 2 through USB will be noisy from my PC, but it is what it is. Not something I plan on using.

Though if I want something like a Lyr 3 as an SE only amp for my Modius, I may have to deal with this issue down the line. Eh.

I checked the preouts on the Jot 2 when I had it in for review. IIRC both the balanced and SE preouts worked simultaneously and from the XLR input. In theory you should be able run XLR from Modius to Jot 2 and then Jot 2's SE preout to a Lyr 3 and the noise should stay away.

Someone else please confirm this please as the preouts on Jot 2 were just a cursory check. I was more concerned with how Jot 2 itself sounded.

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #547 of 2,954
I found my Schiit dacs and amps got a great noise reduction plugged directly into wall sockets instead of multi plug power extended strips

I've been using this since Oct/20 for my Schiit stack. No noise, but then I had no noise to begin with.

It's nice to individually control power without having to reach behind the units.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #549 of 2,954
From inspection of my Modi3+, it has Unison USB chip (instead of CMedia) but does not have the electromagnetic aka "galvanic" isolation. Pics of the Modius' internals look like it has the Unison (Microchip PIC32 processor) chip, but, no electromagnetic isolation.

Gen 5 USB and Unison input modules on Bifrost OG / Gungnir / Yggdrasil have the electromagnetic isolation, as does Bifrost 2.

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #552 of 2,954
Over the years, Guttenberg has become one of my favorite reviewers. He is both entertaining to read, and pitch-perfect in his assessments.

On the other hand, I ain't got no time for no YouTube reviews 🙄

He always talks good about Schiit products as I remember

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #553 of 2,954
Jot 2 dispatched! 😁

I will be feeding it with a Bifrost 2 but wanted to check if it's better to feed it via RCA or XLR from the Bifrost 2?

My headphone use will be a mix of SE and Balanced but in terms of my permanent connection between B2 and Jot2, is it fine to keep them connected by XLR?

Going to interesting comparing the Jot 2 & Asgard 3 in SE output 😁

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #554 of 2,954
Jot 2 dispatched! 😁

I will be feeding it with a Bifrost 2 but wanted to check if it's better to feed it via RCA or XLR from the Bifrost 2?

My headphone use will be a mix of SE and Balanced but in terms of my permanent connection between B2 and Jot2, is it fine to keep them connected by XLR?

Going to interesting comparing the Jot 2 & Asgard 3 in SE output 😁
Well IMHO, yes, feeding it via xlr would be the way to go. It is primarily a balanced headphone amp and should be used that way. XLR can help with ground loops and such too as well as giving you more maximum power. The Bifrost 2 can be used either single ended or balanced with minimal loss through the SE connection as the SE connection is very good according to Jason Stoddard. With my Jot2/Bifrost2 stack, I originally had the Bifrost hooked up via XLR and it sounded amazing, however, I have since acquired a Gungnir Multibit with Unison and have hooked that up via XLR and changed the Bifrost 2 over to SE. The Bifrost 2 still sounds amazing and the Gungnir sounds awesome through the XLR outputs. The reason for this is because the SE outputs on the Gungnir are "gimped" in comparison to the XLR outs, whereas they are not on the Bifrost. Hope this helps! Looking forward to your comparison of the Jot2/Asgard 3 SE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back