Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #511 of 2,954
Once volume level matched I have heard no difference whatsoever (using the same input - I use balanced). I have not tried SE to SE vs. BAL to BAL comparison. A recent review by WaveTheory https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/schiit-jotunheim-2/19191/28 found otherwise. I find the real difference between LOW and HI gain modes, so different that I can say, we have two amplifiers here.

sound quality differences when comparing SE/XLR and Low/HI gain settings may also be impacted by the headphones (e.g. low impedance 90dB planars vs higher impedance 100dB dynamics) and their interaction with the amp, esp the Continuity S circuitry.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #513 of 2,954
Is there somewhere we can find the Voltage delivery? Say, to a 50/300/600 ohm load?

Jot 2, Balanced out
Power (watts) = Voltage squared / Resistance, so V = sqrt (P*R)
for 50 ohm load, V(50) = sqrt (4*50) = 14.14 Vrms
300 ohm load, V(300) = sqrt (1.2*300) = 18.97 Vrms
600 ohm load, V(600) = sqrt (0.6*600) = 18.97 Vrms

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #515 of 2,954
The stack has made it painfully aware that I have really bad, noisy usb ports on my PC. Like it's always been there, but this has made it obvious. Guys what can I do? Any powered usb hubs that will absolutely get rid of the issue? Right now I'm on PC's optical out, which obviously doesn't take advantage of the unison USB of the Modius.

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #516 of 2,954
The stack has made it painfully aware that I have really bad, noisy usb ports on my PC. Like it's always been there, but this has made it obvious. Guys what can I do? Any powered usb hubs that will absolutely get rid of the issue? Right now I'm on PC's optical out, which obviously doesn't take advantage of the unison USB of the Modius.

I think any USB hub which has USB 2.0 option is best option but I thought Unison was to help clean up noisy ports 🤔

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #518 of 2,954
iPurifier3 by iFi audio | USB Audio and Data Signal Filter (ifi-audio.com)
And try and use certified USB cables if you do not want to spend money on audio USB one like this
iFi AUDIO Mercury USB Type-A to USB Type-B Cable 306003-0.5M B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #519 of 2,954
sound quality differences when comparing SE/XLR and Low/HI gain settings may also be impacted by the headphones (e.g. low impedance 90dB planars vs higher impedance 100dB dynamics) and their interaction with the amp, esp the Continuity S circuitry.
I was using Arya to compare SE and BAL out. Differences are quite noticeable. It is not that one is better than the other, just different.

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #520 of 2,954
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #521 of 2,954
No way I'm gonna spend over $200 just to fix usb audio. I was thinking more of a powered USB hub that doesn't take power from the PC.

That is just too rich for my blood and wallet.
I get it, but a powered USB hub will not likely solve your USB issues. Again, start with a certified USB cable if you do not want to spend extra. You probably have one already, just check. There are also cheaper devices like dongle type filters for $50 or so.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #522 of 2,954
I had similar problem in the past with my previous pc. For me a 5V iphone charger adapter saved the day. I got rid of noise. If you have a quality 5v charger adapter give it a shot

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #523 of 2,954
I had similar problem in the past with my previous pc. For me a 5V iphone charger adapter saved the day. I got rid of noise. If you have a quality 5v charger adapter give it a shot
But what am I gonna plug that adapter to? Lol.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #525 of 2,954
Well.any sort of Power plug obviously. I mean you shouldn’t necessarily get power from your PC. You said you use optical out. So you don’t need to plug USB to your PC since you are getting your digital signal out of Optical.
Oh of course, I mean I'm using optical now because usb is trash. But if I buy a powered hub, I'd still need to hook up the hub to the pc via usb so the Modius can get the audio from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back