Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #467 of 2,960
I had my Jot 2 for a couple of weeks but only listened to it for a few hours and let it burn in 20 hours.
I never found the treble on my Jot 1 too bright but still find it too bright on the Jot 2.
Every time I listen I focus on the cymbals, pretty irritating.

It alright. Jot 1 was still listenable for me with LCD-2f. Was using LCD-2f then. Jot 1 was bright in comparison with my other amps then and I had a few tube amps then. Jot 1 was certainly brighter than Ragnarok but it never did get to the point of being unlistenable.

Of the 3 Schiit amps, my preference is obviously the Mjolnir 2.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #468 of 2,960
Chicken or beef? 😆

Attachments

• 11242329.jpg
    11242329.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Jotenheim 2 internal 1920.jpg
    Jotenheim 2 internal 1920.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 23, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #471 of 2,960
Jot2 was very bright to the point of being unlistenable for the first 50 hours or so. Specially listening to string instruments was a pain. Thereafter it smoothed out appreciably so now it is a pleasure. Arya and T1 2nd sound very nice through Jot2, but I still prefer them on OTL amp.
When you guys say ” let it burn” is that with the amp playing music or just let it ON for 3-4 days?? Thanks!!

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #472 of 2,960
When you guys say ” let it burn” is that with the amp playing music or just let it ON for 3-4 days?? Thanks!!
You should have some load on it, so yes playing music through connected cans... and get the pillows ready 😄

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #473 of 2,960
Jot1 was great back in the day, there where no xlr balanced amps so cheap back then. But all reviewers on youtube say now it is flat and boring and 2D.

Jot2 obviously overhyped, but for sure better than Jot1. A90 is cheap chibese stuff. Look at that topping volume pot, it's a facepalm that pot. And the topping knob...

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #474 of 2,960
Jot1 was great back in the day, there where no xlr balanced amps so cheap back then. But all reviewers on youtube say now it is flat and boring and 2D.

Jot2 obviously overhyped, but for sure better than Jot1. A90 is cheap chibese stuff. Look at that topping volume pot, it's a facepalm that pot. And the topping knob...
Volume pot, you say, power supply, I say...it doesn't matter, it's great with test tones.

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #475 of 2,960

Ok, the Topping from what I could find is indeed Chinese stuff with cheap components, overhyped by some, most of all by Youtubers as they're sponsored.
But the Jot 1 was great back in the day and now it's flat and boring according to Youtubers? So it changes it sound signature over time? What a joke.
The only reason it's flat and boring now according to them is because they get paid to promote new amps like that Topping.
I wouldn't call those guys reviewers, just marketeers and bullshitters.

But that's probably what you meant as well.

To me the Jot 1 is still a great amp, the Jot 2 will probably be better after I got it burned in, it already has some stronger points, just need to get rid of that treble.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #477 of 2,960
Ok, the Topping from what I could find is indeed Chinese stuff with cheap components, overhyped by some, most of all by Youtubers as they're sponsored.
But the Jot 1 was great back in the day and now it's flat and boring according to Youtubers? So it changes it sound signature over time? What a joke.
The only reason it's flat and boring now according to them is because they get paid to promote new amps like that Topping.

To me the Jot 1 is still a great amp, the Jot 2 will probably be better after I got it burned in, it already has some stronger points, just need to get rid of that treble.
To be fair, A90 is not bad amp, and I can see that some can see the attraction of having ultra-clean sound. For me, it simply doesn't sound natural, like a real instruments should sound. One can say it's "soulless." Time will tell how long will fans be happy with that type of sound. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #478 of 2,960
That said
To be fair, A90 is not bad amp, and I can see that some can see the attraction of having ultra-clean sound. For me, it simply doesn't sound natural, like a real instruments should sound. One can say it's "soulless." Time will tell how long will fans be happy with that type of sound. I guess we'll see soon enough.

To tell you the truth I was going to post right after my previous post that I wouldn't mind having an ultra-clean stack here besides my other gear, added benefit would have been to play around with full MQA decoding although I'm not sure MQA is going to break through, never really believed in it but Tidal might turn the tides.

I thought about getting the the Topping A90 and D90 MQA but then I would want a second Stack Audio Link 2 on top of it to complete my system, I have quite a few things connected here like Mac, PC, XsX, PS5, Nucleus, two SBX-G6, two Topping D10S used as D to D converters, ...
I wouldn't buy it to try it and sell if I don't like it but just keep it as you said to have that ultraclean option, might be good for sound other than music as well (game/movie).

But the total damage for all that (Toppings + Link II) would be 2200 Euro here. Can't spend that kind of money on something I consider an extra gadget.
I'd be better of getting an extra pair of phones like the Aryas I am longing for.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #479 of 2,960

I agree, I would say jot 2 is bad, and jot 1 was even worse from day one.

Youtubers are bad, forum user reviews even worse, much worse. I trust no one, not even myself, so go figure. But Jot1, for the time was great, and now is crap, but sound didn't change though, changed competition. It was just as bad. Bad meaning same performance than a decent amp of 25% the cost... Ton of people saying jot1 was flat and boring and etc... from day one though...

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #480 of 2,960
I agree, I would say jot 2 is bad, and jot 1 was even worse from day one.

Youtubers are bad, forum user reviews even worse, much worse. I trust no one, not even myself, so go figure. But Jot1, for the time was great, and now is crap, but sound didn't change though, changed competition. It was just as bad. Bad meaning same performance than a decent amp of 25% the cost... Ton of people saying jot1 was flat and boring and etc... from day one though...

I wonder what amp is better than the Jot at 25% of the cost ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back