Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #2,927 of 2,952
Recently went from a Modius E + Magnius stack to Modius E + Jot 2 and I am head over heels for this amp. Running the HE6se V2 off of it daily with plenty of bass and low end extension. Staging is significantly better and the technical performance has not been diminished. Additionally high frequencies present less sharp than on the Magnius. A few nights before buying the Jot 2, I picked up an Asgard 3 off a discord group, on monday the A3 made it in. Over the past 24 hours of AB'ing them I have packed up the Asgard 3.
SE performance on the Asgard 3 seems to be a hair better but overall playback is cleaner on the Jot 2. It's crazy this unit is only $400 retail and even less on the used market. Super happy with this pick up.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 203738.png
I hated magnius it sounds like a crappy 2d flat chip amp like a topping "design" Jotunheim 2 is pure class in comparison.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #2,929 of 2,952
Has anyone compare dthe Jotunheim 2 and the singxer sa-1?
There's a few on YouTube. I can't remember what the common consensus was, but I remember spending thought on it and purchasing Jot. That being said I also needed a dac and the Jot happen to (potentially) have one built in so recognize that bias.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #2,930 of 2,952
Has anyone compare dthe Jotunheim 2 and the singxer sa-1?
Well, I think it's fair if I share my impression to this thread too (and Singxer thread).

It was fun comparison! Topping D90SE with XLR output feed Topping A90, Singxer SA-1, and Schiit Jotunheim 2

At that moment I tried with Abyss Diana Phi and Focal Clear MG.

All three amps are indeed excellent for the price.

Power: (Based on Gain and Watt)
1. Schiit Jotunheim 2
2. Topping A90
3. Singxer SA1

Note: Singxer is far from weak, it's just that Singxer provide the lowest gain (amplified factor). Singxer capable to push Diana with ease.

Treble:
1. Singxer SA-1
2. Topping A90
3. Schiit Jotunheim 2

Most airy feeling, with most micro detail, Singxer take the crown here. The best part, Singxer is actually the most linear in treble area, high pitch of piano seems free of peak/harshness. A90 and Jotunheim 2 while less airy, but produce more peak in piano notes. Jotunheim is the darkest of the three with the least airy feeling as well. (Remember that these three amps still close to neutral, so don't imagine awful lack of treble quantity from Schiit).

Midrange:
1a. Singxer SA-1
1b. Schiit Jotunheim 2
2. Topping A90

Both singxer and schiit provide slight forward vocal with dense and full body tonality. While texture slight better with Singxer, Jotun provide slight fuller lower midrange. Sibilance is hard to heard, unless the recording produce much of them. Topping is a little drier in this section, with more laidback position. I'd give a nod to Topping if the extreme neutrality is your main concern. Personally, I chase natural more than neutral here.

Bass:
1a. Schiit Jotunheim 2
1b. Singxer SA-1
1c. Topping A90

Love them all! Jotunheim 2 produce biggest bass, Topping is the least, Singxer on the middle. Both three amps render bass texture nicely, deep down to sub bass level. Most impact goes to Jotunheim, while A90 and SA-1 share the same result.

Soundstage:
1. SIngxer SA-1
2. Topping A90
3. Schiit Jotunheim 2

The airy feeling, combine with the actual soundstage size, make Singxer goes to the top. Not only the size, actually imaging also more structured on Singxer SA-1 compared the other amps. Schiit Jotunheim 2 definitely create the "narrowest" imaging here.

Conclusion:
Singxer SA-1 is still my most favourite amp for under $1000, very all round character with great micro detail and soundstage. Being neutral, but slight sweetness on vocal is blissful.

Schiit Jotunheim 2, punch the hardest, in expense of airy feeling and soundstage.

Topping A90, is most dead neutral, even when compared to other close to neutral amps.
@TheMiddleSky posted impressions between Jot 2, Topping A90 and Singxer back in pg. 123.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #2,931 of 2,952
@TheMiddleSky posted impressions between Jot 2, Topping A90 and Singxer back in pg. 123.
You should try it again with a better DAC. The Jot has a good soundstage and impactful bass but needs a good DAC to shine.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #2,932 of 2,952
You should try it again with a better DAC. The Jot has a good soundstage and impactful bass but needs a good DAC to shine.
Agreed!

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #2,934 of 2,952
OK, Jotunheim 2 owners. I'm looking for something with balanced inputs to take full advantage of my Modius AKM's balanced out. The candidates are Midgard and Jotunheim. So far, many more are lauding Midgard than the Jot 2. Do you think that's just its "newness" or is there something to it? Technically, the Jot 2 should be the winner. Why isn't it winning comparisons?

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #2,935 of 2,952
OK, Jotunheim 2 owners. I'm looking for something with balanced inputs to take full advantage of my Modius AKM's balanced out. The candidates are Midgard and Jotunheim. So far, many more are lauding Midgard than the Jot 2. Do you think that's just its "newness" or is there something to it? Technically, the Jot 2 should be the winner. Why isn't it winning comparisons?
It’s mainly because the Midgard is less dependent on the DAC quality. The Jot 2 is more sensitive and requires a much better DAC than the low fi and mid fi ones. Not sure if you could say Schiit accidentally put a Dodge Charger in a shell of a Prius but that’s the sense I’m getting. So Jot 2 ends up under performing when reviewers feed it lower end DACs like the BiFrost.

Minimum requirement for the Jot 2 is the Gungnir.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #2,936 of 2,952
It’s mainly because the Midgard is less dependent on the DAC quality. The Jot 2 is more sensitive and requires a much better DAC than the low fi and mid fi ones. Not sure if you could say Schiit accidentally put a Dodge Charger in a shell of a Prius but that’s the sense I’m getting. So Jot 2 ends up under performing when reviewers feed it lower end DACs like the BiFrost.

Agreed. I use Jot 2 with a Chord Qutest

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #2,937 of 2,952
So,

So, basically, if I want an amp that will scale, Jot 2, and if I don’t plan on pushing past BiFrost, Midgard. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #2,938 of 2,952
So,

So, basically, if I want an amp that will scale, Jot 2, and if I don’t plan on pushing past BiFrost, Midgard. Thanks.
Yep, spot on. I almost returned my MJ3 after I got my Yggy GS2. The Jot 2 sounded like a whole different amp with the better DAC. Jot 2 output power is close to being a speaker amp so it runs most headphones out there.

I wanted more sound stage and detail for my Susvara so I ended up getting a Flux Mentor but I kept my Jot 2 at my office.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #2,939 of 2,952
Yep, spot on. I almost returned my MJ3 after I got my Yggy GS2. ****The Jot 2 sounded like a whole different amp with the better DAC****. Jot 2 output power is close to being a speaker amp so it runs most headphones out there.

I wanted more sound stage and detail for my Susvara so I ended up getting a Flux Mentor but I kept my Jot 2 at my office.
**** upgrade 'upstream' before upgrading 'downstream' 👍

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #2,940 of 2,952
I got my Yggy GS2 several months ago when they were first offered for sale. Huge improvement over the BF 2/64 (which is a really great DAC itself). I just realized this morning that I've not listened to my Jot 2 even once with Yggy. Doing that right now, and I have to tell you that I'm blown away. Paired with the Yggy, the Jot 2 is an incredible sounding amp punching way above its price. Oh my!

YMMV

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back