Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #2,896 of 2,952
Thanks for the input. I guess I have to make up my mind on whether I want the gear more or the money. It’s always a hard one.

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #2,897 of 2,952
The BF2/64 outputs XLR and RCA simultaneously. You could have the XLR output to the Jot2 and then the RCA outputting to a more modest amp for your IEMs. Which I suggest only because the Jot2 is so obscenely powerful, even in low gain, that I can't imagine you being able to even lift the volume pot off the floor before going deaf.

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #2,898 of 2,952
The BF2/64 outputs XLR and RCA simultaneously. You could have the XLR output to the Jot2 and then the RCA outputting to a more modest amp for your IEMs. Which I suggest only because the Jot2 is so obscenely powerful, even in low gain, that I can't imagine you being able to even lift the volume pot off the floor before going deaf.
Depends on the IEM, I use pretty much all of mine balanced with Jot2, although for some I prefer the Vali2+ instead.

Andro2020 for example hisses terribly with the RCA out of Jot2, but is dead-quiet from the XLR.

Other IEMs I've got that have DDs and/or are less sensitive like Annihilator23, Xe6 and formerly IER-Z1R are all fantastic with the Jot2 balanced. I do use a PC/Mac as source, and lower the output volume there; and/or use a Schiit SYS as pre-amp, to allow more range of control with the Jot2 volume knob. But I seldom go above 11 o'clock with anything regardless.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #2,899 of 2,952
I have owned and almost daily used a Jot 2. I think I paid around $480 with tax and shipping for a new base Jot 2, no internal DAC. For the money I am thrilled with the amp. As I tweak and lower the noise floor in my setup, and as the system becomes more and more refined the Jot 2 does not bottleneck the system. I am very impressed with the amp. I leave my amp on 24/7, just lower the volume pot to zero when not in use. Setup is all balanced including the headphone cable. The power of the Jot 2 allows for the dynamic headroom I want since I use EQ. For those that do not own a Jot 2, IMHO it is a musical/fun and dynamic amp. Can be very resolving if the rest of the system is resolving, and noise in the system is removed/minimized. I will note, I only use the amp in high gain and only use full size headphones with it. I love the sound of the Jot 2 balanced, EQ-ed and Audeze LCD-XC (2021 model).

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #2,900 of 2,952
I just upgraded my Bifrost to Yggy and my jot2 to MJ3. Then I realized how much I have been underutilizing my Jot2. It was being held back by the DAC. The sonic improvement from Bifrost to Yggy (about 25-30% improvement) was much more than upgrading from Jot2 to MJ3 (10-15% improvement). If you are tight on money, get the Yggy GS2.

Just an example: after upgrading to the Yggy I could hear Michael Jackson snapping his fingers in the background when singing Billie Jean on my jot2. That was impossible before with the Bifrost and another poster could only hear on the Susvara with expensive gear.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #2,901 of 2,952
Tonight I had the pleasure of using the preamp circuit on my Jot 2. On Sunday, one of the speakers of my Bose computer speakers, the ones I've had for 16 years and have worked flawlessly up until now, died. Somehow the cable from the left speaker got yanked so hard that it bent one of the fingers of the RCA plug and broke the pin off in the receptacle. And, when I tried to fish the pin fragment out of the receptacle, I just ended up pushing it deeper into the subwoofer. On Monday I found the service manual for the speaker and was able to wrestle the back panel off the subwoofer housing and see what the repair would be like.

Of course. Design for disposal. The circuit board I needed to get to was buried under so much epoxy that even if I could end up Dremeling it out, I'm sure I'd end up damaging something else more exotic and expensive than a RCA connector. So, I was suddenly in the market for new speakers for my computer. Remembering that the Jot 2 has pre-outs, I went looking for a set of powered monitors. Without doing too much searching, I landed on B&H Photo's website and was looking at a set of JBL 305P MkII's. I ordered them Monday morning and later that afternoon got an email saying they had shipped! I just selected the "free" 2-day shipping. Imagine my surprise when checking the tracking and I see that they were actually being scheduled for delivery TODAY (only one day transit!). FedEx actually made good on their promise and I picked up the speakers and stands I had delivered to the shipping department at work before coming home tonight.

I got them set up and have been listening to them, going back and forth between my Utopias and the JBLs. I need to tweak the stands some more to get the height and angles just right, but I'm back up and running! This endeavor would have been much more problematic were it not for the Jot's preamp outs!

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #2,902 of 2,952
I currently have a Schiit magnius and I want to upgrade to a Jotunheim. Is it a better sounding amp? I will be running it off a bifrost 2/64. Have there been any changed to the Jot2 since its release, as in if I buy a used one from when it first came out to if I buy new from schiit today?

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #2,903 of 2,952
I currently have a Schiit magnius and I want to upgrade to a Jotunheim. Is it a better sounding amp? I will be running it off a bifrost 2/64. Have there been any changed to the Jot2 since its release, as in if I buy a used one from when it first came out to if I buy new from schiit today?
The Jot2 power output is pretty high. It can drive basically anything. It is more analytical than the magnius and the bass is tighter. Not much change since Jot2 since release. You can try preamping the magnius to Jot2 for even stronger bass slam.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #2,906 of 2,952
20231220_112655.jpg

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #2,908 of 2,952
I've had Jot 2 here about a week and listened to it with several headphones now. All the phones I have are single-ended, so haven't tried balanced outputs yet. Cables are coming to fix that, but not here yet.

I've been nothing but impressed. Really clean, clear amplification with little color. Everything sounds particularly well formed and clean. Every kind of music I've thrown at it has been great.

I just noticed the gain switch. This is so it can go from "too loud" to "stupid loud", right? Even the 600-ohm Beyers don't get to noon on low gain. I can't imagine what high gain is actually for.

I've been feeding Jot2 from a Modius through a Lokius, and am upgrading Modius to Bifrost 2/64. I also threw a Valhalla in the cart because it was on closeout and I couldn't resist, so I'll have some tubes to compare against. :)

I'm very pleased with the Schitt equipment and sound.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #2,909 of 2,952
I've had Jot 2 here about a week and listened to it with several headphones now. All the phones I have are single-ended, so haven't tried balanced outputs yet. Cables are coming to fix that, but not here yet.

I've been nothing but impressed. Really clean, clear amplification with little color. Everything sounds particularly well formed and clean. Every kind of music I've thrown at it has been great.

I just noticed the gain switch. This is so it can go from "too loud" to "stupid loud", right? Even the 600-ohm Beyers don't get to noon on low gain. I can't imagine what high gain is actually for.

I've been feeding Jot2 from a Modius through a Lokius, and am upgrading Modius to Bifrost 2/64. I also threw a Valhalla in the cart because it was on closeout and I couldn't resist, so I'll have some tubes to compare against. :)

I'm very pleased with the Schitt equipment and sound.
You are in for a treat when you get your balanced cables. I find the noise floor on the SE to be quite high, some gear has a noticeable waterfall hiss that disappears with balanced. And even when an IEM or headphone doesn't hiss, the SE still has a kind of 'soft and fuzzy' kind of sound compared to the XLR, which is much tighter, sharper and has more control. A bit like going from 1080p to 4k.

I always use high-gain for both the LCD-2C and Empyrean, they are both much punchier and more dynamic in high-gain. And some IEMs also benefit equally from high-gain, the Elysian Annihilator will gobble up all the power you can give it, and in the past the Sony IER-Z1R was similar.

You're right, you do get less control with the volume knob in high-gain, so to get around this I set the output volume on my Mac to around 70-75%, which increases the control at the other end on the Jot2.

That, or just keep the knob at 9 o'clock or lower. Just because it goes way beyond 11 doesn't mean you have to use it. :wink:

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #2,910 of 2,952
Anyone have noticeable channel imbalance on their Jotunheim 2? Mine pushes audio about two hours to the right with the knob below ~11 o'clock. After that, it evens out. My Midgard has practically zero imbalance even down past 9 o'clock, and my Vali 2++ has minor imbalance until around 9 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back