Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,996 of 2,957
It also looks damn good in a schiit stack
20211030_013538.jpg

I have the Valhalla II and Bifrost II. I am comparing the Valhalla II (with aftermarket tubes) with the Asgard 3. To my ears via ZMF Aeolus the two amps sound virtually identical. I'm also turning EQ on and off in iTunes to hear the difference. EQ brings more body to the sound whereas no EQ sounds dull or perhaps even a bit bright depending on the song. How would you compare the Jot 2 with the Valhalla 2? Do you think the Lokius is worthwhile for EQ?

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,997 of 2,957
I have ZMF Aeolus and Bifrost II as well. Currently comparing the Asgard 3 with Valhalla II (with aftermarket tubes). It's difficult to get a comparison as I have to swap cables from one amp to the other but they sound pretty much identical. I am considering a Jotunheim 2 as I have not tried that one yet. Also I am listening with and without EQ in iTunes. With EQ there is more body to the sound compared to no EQ which sound a bit dull or even bright or harsh depending on the song. Do you use EQ at all?

I have actually never messed around with EQ at all. I am considering adding a Lokius at some point in future. Although right now I have swapped out the Jot2 for a Burson Soloist 3XP.

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,998 of 2,957
I have the Valhalla II and Bifrost II. I am comparing the Valhalla II (with aftermarket tubes) with the Asgard 3. To my ears via ZMF Aeolus the two amps sound virtually identical. I'm also turning EQ on and off in iTunes to hear the difference. EQ brings more body to the sound whereas no EQ sounds dull or perhaps even a bit bright depending on the song. How would you compare the Jot 2 with the Valhalla 2? Do you think the Lokius is worthwhile for EQ?
For sure I recommend the lokius, it has great synergy with both the jotunheim and valhalla. It's pretty hard to compare the valhalla to the jotunheim because it really depends on the tubes you are using but one thing I can say is that the jotunheim is way more powerful, it can drive pretty much anything

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,999 of 2,957
I am listening to both right now and I guess you can say that the jotunheim has more clarity and detail but that is because the jot has an emphasis on the highs. I am enjoying the more organic and natural tone of the valhalla and since I already have a better solid state amp the jotunheim is in the classifieds right now

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,000 of 2,957
I have actually never messed around with EQ at all. I am considering adding a Lokius at some point in future. Although right now I have swapped out the Jot2 for a Burson Soloist 3XP.

I have never had a Burson amp. Though I have heard the Soloist is very good. I think I'm just very used to having the EQ on that when I turn it off it sound very unnatural. I seem to really prefer a "warm" or "analog" sound.

For sure I recommend the lokius, it has great synergy with both the jotunheim and valhalla. It's pretty hard to compare the valhalla to the jotunheim because it really depends on the tubes you are using but one thing I can say is that the jotunheim is way more powerful, it can drive pretty much anything

Yes true because it comparing tube to solid state. Plus different tubes can each have their own sound. I have never used a real EQ component. Just software EQ. I guess I would just turn the knobs until I find the sound I want.

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #2,001 of 2,957
To your point about power, I've been running a Bifrost 2 / Jotunheim 2 for most of the year. I originally had an Asgard 3 but went down the legacy Hifiman rabbit hole so I had to upgrade to the Jot 2. The HE500 and HE6 sound great out of a Jot 2. HE6 definitely needs high-gain.

I dusted off my Sundaras today for kicks and ran them balanced on the Jot 2. On low gain and 9 o'clock, it literally blew out my ear drums. I didn't even bother trying hi-gain and had to switch to single-ended mode to enjoy the Sundaras. Granted, I went from the most inefficient cans to one of the most efficient cans on the market today but I was astounded by the sheer power coming out of the Jot 2.

I've always heard people talk about how powerful the Jot 2 is for a headphone amp but never noticed it as much as I've been running it exclusively with the HE6. Today was an eye-opener to how powerful the Jot really is.

Moral of the story: yes, the Jot 2 can drive pretty much any headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,002 of 2,957
I have never had a Burson amp. Though I have heard the Soloist is very good. I think I'm just very used to having the EQ on that when I turn it off it sound very unnatural. I seem to really prefer a "warm" or "analog" sound.

Yes true because it comparing tube to solid state. Plus different tubes can each have their own sound. I have never used a real EQ component. Just software EQ. I guess I would just turn the knobs until I find the sound I want.
I use the lokius and peace eq depending on the headphone I'm using

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2,003 of 2,957
To your point about power, I've been running a Bifrost 2 / Jotunheim 2 for most of the year. I originally had an Asgard 3 but went down the legacy Hifiman rabbit hole so I had to upgrade to the Jot 2. The HE500 and HE6 sound great out of a Jot 2. HE6 definitely needs high-gain.

I dusted off my Sundaras today for kicks and ran them balanced on the Jot 2. On low gain and 9 o'clock, it literally blew out my ear drums. I didn't even bother trying hi-gain and had to switch to single-ended mode to enjoy the Sundaras. Granted, I went from the most inefficient cans to one of the most efficient cans on the market today but I was astounded by the sheer power coming out of the Jot 2.

I've always heard people talk about how powerful the Jot 2 is for a headphone amp but never noticed it as much as I've been running it exclusively with the HE6. Today was an eye-opener to how powerful the Jot really is.

Moral of the story: yes, the Jot 2 can drive pretty much every thing.
It may seem that it can drive the he6 but I can guarantee you it doesn't do it well. Try it out of a amp that can put out 4w plus and you'll see it come alive

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,004 of 2,957
It may seem that it can drive the he6 but I can guarantee you it doesn't do it well. Try it out of a amp that can put out 4w plus and you'll see it come alive
So I've heard. I've got my eyes set on a FA-10 but need to convince the wife to let me buy another amp. Maybe as a Christmas present to myself =P

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #2,006 of 2,957

Moral of the story: yes, the Jot 2 can drive pretty much any headphone.

I think this is why I might stick with the Soloist over the Jot2. With the Jot2, you can get very little room to play with the volume knob. The Soloist has 3 gain levels so you get way more flexibility with the volume.

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #2,007 of 2,957
I am listening to both right now and I guess you can say that the jotunheim has more clarity and detail but that is because the jot has an emphasis on the highs. I am enjoying the more organic and natural tone of the valhalla and since I already have a better solid state amp the jotunheim is in the classifieds right now

What tubes are you using with the Valhalla II? Currently I have the Brimar CV455 in the amp. They were high recommended. But again with EQ in iTunes turned off it makes the music more harsh or bright. It does depend on the song as well. There is a bit of hollowness to the music without the EQ. I don't necessarily need balanced but many seem to tout its benefits.

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,008 of 2,957
What tubes are you using with the Valhalla II? Currently I have the Brimar CV455 in the amp. They were high recommended. But again with EQ in iTunes turned off it makes the music more harsh or bright. It does depend on the song as well. There is a bit of hollowness to the music without the EQ. I don't necessarily need balanced but many seem to tout its benefits.
6N6P fotons and 1957 Brimar 4033

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2,009 of 2,957
Balanced is very subjective and depends on the gear, chord is the perfect example of that, there SE is on par with many balanced outs from expensive gear. On schiit gear I do prefer balanced over SE even on the gear that is not truly balanced like on the bifrost/jotunheim combo

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,010 of 2,957
Just curious, why a Jot2 is not able to drive an HE-6 well? At 50 ohm impedance, which the HE-6 is listed at, Jot2 has 4 watts on tap in Balance mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back