Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,982 of 2,957
I have about 80 hours on my Jot 2 paired with Modius. I just moved and re-setup the system 2 days ago. What made a big difference is when I isolated the analog (tube stage and Jot2) and digital power (PC, Modius and Ifi SPIDF iPurifier 2). Oh man it sounds amazing with LCD-XC 2021. Will let the Jot 2 and setup keep burning in with pink noise. You are in for a treat!
@cdacosta can you please tell me what does it means to isolate the analog? And digital power?

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,983 of 2,957
@cdacosta can you please tell me what does it means to isolate the analog? And digital power?
Put simply…

Digital components like DAC (notorious for emitting EMI and RFI) and PC will emit EMI and RFI into the power line which gets into the power supplies of the analog gear.

By using a power isolation transformer (usually designed into a PLC or AKA power line conditioner also using other methods) or balanced power supply also using other methods to leech EMI and RFI from power line, you can isolate power from different components. Almost like having dedicated lines for digital analog and digital components.

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #1,984 of 2,957
Put simply…

Digital components like DAC (notorious for emitting EMI and RFI) and PC will emit EMI and RFI into the power line which gets into the power supplies of the analog gear.

By using a power isolation transformer (usually designed into a PLC or AKA power line conditioner also using other methods) or balanced power supply also using other methods to leech EMI and RFI from power line, you can isolate power from different components. Almost like having dedicated lines for digital analog and digital components.
By the way, after isolating the analog and digital power from each other in my experience is very audible. What I have noticed and find interesting is that components such as Schiit Jotunheim 2 and Modius can sound extremely good for very little money compared to higher end home gear. BUT these lower cost components are very susceptible to EMI, RFI and micro vibrations. And these lower priced gear do a poor job of protecting its circuitry from outside EMI and RFI.

There are other methods that can be used in conjunction with isolating the power from analog and digital components but that was not your question.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,991 of 2,957
By the way, after isolating the analog and digital power from each other in my experience is very audible. What I have noticed and find interesting is that components such as Schiit Jotunheim 2 and Modius can sound extremely good for very little money compared to higher end home gear. BUT these lower cost components are very susceptible to EMI, RFI and micro vibrations. And these lower priced gear do a poor job of protecting its circuitry from outside EMI and RFI.

There are other methods that can be used in conjunction with isolating the power from analog and digital components but that was not your question.
Thanks @cdacosta, this is in deed a completely new topic all together :) I started looking into it and realize it is another area that can very quickly get very expensive.

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #1,992 of 2,957
Thanks @cdacosta, this is in deed a completely new topic all together :) I started looking into it and realize it is another area that can very quickly get very expensive.
Yes it can get very expensive relative to a headphone system. I have the PLCs already from when I was experimenting, tweaking and modding my home main system. For headphone systems costing say $1K - $3K will be hard to justify. I only recommend trying expensive cabling and this level of power line conditioning for more expensive systems or if someone already have these type of ancillary gear like me.

I am newish to the headphone hobby but not to audio. What I have found is that everything that works to improve home audio system performance work for headphone systems.

Tweaking an audio setup is outside the scope of this thread. This was a two decade hobby for me. If you are interested in this topic PM me and I can give you some ideas and direction as to where to research this topic.

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #1,993 of 2,957
After approximately 180 hours of signal through the Jotunheim 2 I think it is an amazing bargain at $456 (including shipping and tax). I spent about $700 to upgrade from a Asgard 3 to the Jotunheim 2 if I include the Cardas Clear Light cable so that the balanced outputs could be used. At $700 I am very happy. With concerts, bands, EDM and rock this amp excels. Very addictive and engaging presentation, puts you right there. Third piece of gear purchased from Schiit I am happy with. I just moved so I do not have a lot of time to sit and listen, the plan was just listen for changes during burn-in cycle. Last night I was planning to just listen, but from 8pm - 1am I could not stop listening, it was that addictive.

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #1,994 of 2,957
With the below type performances the Jotunheim 2 is a valuable piece of gear in the chain. In my setup I feel I am right there, second row. Although I may listen at a higher volume the soundstage feels quite large. Even if not high res, just really good fun...

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,995 of 2,957
PXL_20210315_165019931.jpg

So I got this pile of Schiit in a little over a week ago. I don't think I've enjoyed listening to my music this much in a long time. This stack is replacing a Questyle CMA 400i, which is a fine piece of kit, I just felt like it was time for something a bit more. Aside from way more power, the sound is just so much more alive. The sound is pretty neutral still for the most part, but there is just a sense of joy added to everything. The spaciousness and the detail are simply excellent. The separation of instruments is just right. I have noticed that high gain with my Aeolus has even better sound to my ears, just with way less wiggle room with the volume pot. 8:30-9 seems to be the sweet spot there. The SE is also giving me more than enough power for my Argons. They have never sounded so good.

I think this amp will do me just fine for a good long while. Now all I'm missing is a tube amp! Valhalla is calling to me...

I have ZMF Aeolus and Bifrost II as well. Currently comparing the Asgard 3 with Valhalla II (with aftermarket tubes). It's difficult to get a comparison as I have to swap cables from one amp to the other but they sound pretty much identical. I am considering a Jotunheim 2 as I have not tried that one yet. Also I am listening with and without EQ in iTunes. With EQ there is more body to the sound compared to no EQ which sound a bit dull or even bright or harsh depending on the song. Do you use EQ at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back