Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,651 of 2,952
For what it’s worth, my Jot2 black no mod is still on back order from 3/31.
FYI, I emailed Schiit earlier last week and basically said if they don't think the Black (no mod) Jotunheim 2s will ship anytime soon, I'd take a Silver if it could ship out now since it's in stock.

Customer service emailed me to let me know they were getting black casings late last week or sometime this week. I decided to just keep the order some more. My OCD probably won't be happy with a Silver Jot on top of my Black Bifrost 2 😂.

Hopefully if they get the casings in this week, they'll start shipping some out over the next couple. I'm sure @Jason Stoddard can correct me if I'm way off base here.

(My order date was 5/4 fwiw).

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,652 of 2,952
I'd love to grab a Jot 2, but realistically a portable rig would get much more use.
Does anyone have a portable DAC/amp that sounds as enjoyable or is as resolving as a Jotunheim 2?

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,653 of 2,952
I'd love to grab a Jot 2, but realistically a portable rig would get much more use.
Does anyone have a portable DAC/amp that sounds as enjoyable or is as resolving as a Jotunheim 2?
I imagine it's hard to find anything "portable" that could compete with the Jot 2 on all fronts, but the Qudelix-5K seems to be the go-to if you want great portability. Probably worth giving it a try and returning it if it doesn't match your expectations as it's just a hair over $100.00

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,654 of 2,952
I imagine it's hard to find anything "portable" that could compete with the Jot 2 on all fronts, but the Qudelix-5K seems to be the go-to if you want great portability. Probably worth giving it a try and returning it if it doesn't match your expectations as it's just a hair over $100.00
That's my main squeeze right now! I love it... just wondering if anyone's found anything more resolving than that.
Gonna give the iDSD signature a whirl.

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #1,655 of 2,952
I'm waiting on black Jot, too. 6/22 so a bit later than you guys. It's literally just the lid and I'd assume the rest of it is all built so once the lids arrive it shouldn't take too long, hopefully.

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #1,656 of 2,952
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,657 of 2,952
Aug 4, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,659 of 2,952
How’s the bass slam with the Jotunheim? Are folks satisfied with the low end of this amp? Most YouTube reviewers say it’s pretty robust. (Probably depends a lot on the headphones used, but just wanted to get subjective impressions)

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #1,660 of 2,952
How’s the bass slam with the Jotunheim? Are folks satisfied with the low end of this amp? Most YouTube reviewers say it’s pretty robust. (Probably depends a lot on the headphones used, but just wanted to get subjective impressions)
Bass is great well controlled and articulates crazy good for a $400 amp. Usually you have to pay quite a bit more for decent quality bass. It can slam as well.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #1,661 of 2,952
One thing about the Jot 2's bass presentation is that it is different than most SS amps I know. It is more rounded, rather than razor sharp. In this case, it is similar to tube amps.

The bass is also very hefty and hits like a hammer. You can feel it, not only hear it. Texture comes out very well, well above its price point. It even gave SS amps much more expensive a run for its money.

Another thing I think Jot 2 has been misunderstood is on the detail part. I heard a few times from youtube reviewers that Jot 2 loses out in detail to bla bla amps. Jot 2 is a very dynamic and exciting amp, but it doesn't throw macro details to your face. Partly because it is a thicker sounding amp. Partly also because it is also a subtler amp when it comes to macro details. It is lively and dynamic, but also rounded in its delivery at the same time. But it does really well in micro detail and nuances. In fact, it even gave SS amps well above its price a run for its money. Think of it as HD600 vs Sundara/Ananda. Most youtube reviewers will probably say Sundara/Ananda is more detailed. Yes when it comes to macro details. Because of the tuning and thinner character, it is easier to notice it. But when it comes to micro detail, Sundara/Ananda oversmooth/simplifies information that the HD600 doesn't.

One last thing and probably most important aspect that I think most youtube reviewers missed out is micro dynamic. Most don't cover this. And those who cover dynamics mostly mean macro dynamic and more relates to bass slam. The Jot 2 do both well, but it is micro dynamic that it shines imo, because most SS amps I know don't do this well at all, even the ones costing above $2000. Let alone those amps compared to the Jot 2 in those reviews. And this is noticable mostly in the mids, which makes it very lively and "soulful", especially with vocals. SS amps are usually flat in this area. This is tube amps' arena usually.

It is a very unique SS amp. Never heard anything like it before. Like everything else, it has its strengths and flaws. But most reviews do not cover it enough imo. Many reviewers are also too attached to price. Not surprised it is an understated amp imo.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #1,662 of 2,952
One thing about the Jot 2's bass presentation is that it is different than most SS amps I know. It is more rounded, rather than razor sharp thin. In this case, it is similar to tube amps.

The bass is also very hefty and hits like a hammer. You can feel it, not only hear it. Texture comes out very well, well above its price point. It even gave SS amps much much more expensive a run for its money.

Another thing I think Jot 2 has been misunderstood is on the detail part. I heard a few times from youtube reviewers that Jot 2 loses out in detail to bla bla amps. Jot 2 is a very dynamic and exciting amp, but it doesn't throw macro details to your face. Partly because it is a thicker sounding amp. Partly also because it is also a subtler amp when it comes to macro details. It is lively and dynamic, but also rounded and gentle in its delivery at the same time. But it does really well in micro detail and nuances. In fact, it even gave amps well above its price a run for its money. Think of it as HD600 vs Sundara/Ananda. Most youtube reviewers will probably say Sundara/Ananda is more detailed. Yes when it comes to macro details. Because of the tuning and thinner character, it is easier to notice it. But when it comes to micro detail, Sundara/Ananda oversmooth/simplifies information that the HD600 doesn't.

One last thing and probably most important aspect that I think most youtube reviewers missed out is micro dynamic. Most don't cover this. And those who cover dynamics mostly mean macro dynamic and more relates to bass slam. The Jot 2 do both well, but it is micro dynamic that it shines imo, because most SS amps I know don't do this well at all, even the ones costing above $2000. Let along those amps compared to the Jot 2 in those reviews. And this is noticable especially in the mids, which makes it very lively and "soulful". SS amps are usually flat in this area. This is tube amps' arena usually.

It is a very unique SS amp. Never heard anything like it before. Like everything else, it has its strengths and flaws. But most reviews do not cover it enough imo. Many reviewers are also too attached to price. Not surprised it is an understated amp imo.
Best post in thread.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #1,663 of 2,952
One thing about the Jot 2's bass presentation is that it is different than most SS amps I know. It is more rounded, rather than razor sharp thin. In this case, it is similar to tube amps.

The bass is also very hefty and hits like a hammer. You can feel it, not only hear it. Texture comes out very well, well above its price point. It even gave SS amps much much more expensive a run for its money.

Another thing I think Jot 2 has been misunderstood is on the detail part. I heard a few times from youtube reviewers that Jot 2 loses out in detail to bla bla amps. Jot 2 is a very dynamic and exciting amp, but it doesn't throw macro details to your face. Partly because it is a thicker sounding amp. Partly also because it is also a subtler amp when it comes to macro details. It is lively and dynamic, but also rounded and gentle in its delivery at the same time. But it does really well in micro detail and nuances. In fact, it even gave amps well above its price a run for its money. Think of it as HD600 vs Sundara/Ananda. Most youtube reviewers will probably say Sundara/Ananda is more detailed. Yes when it comes to macro details. Because of the tuning and thinner character, it is easier to notice it. But when it comes to micro detail, Sundara/Ananda oversmooth/simplifies information that the HD600 doesn't.

One last thing and probably most important aspect that I think most youtube reviewers missed out is micro dynamic. Most don't cover this. And those who cover dynamics mostly mean macro dynamic and more relates to bass slam. The Jot 2 do both well, but it is micro dynamic that it shines imo, because most SS amps I know don't do this well at all, even the ones costing above $2000. Let along those amps compared to the Jot 2 in those reviews. And this is noticable especially in the mids, which makes it very lively and "soulful". SS amps are usually flat in this area. This is tube amps' arena usually.

I think you just convinced me to buy one.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #1,664 of 2,952
Ditto on what Omniweltall said. For $400, you can't get any better amp than this and with a 5 year warranty !

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,665 of 2,952
I think you just convinced me to buy one.
Imo, I think you should consider its character and strengths/weaknesses, whether it is in line with your taste and priorities. It does a lot really surprisingly good, but it also imparts its character, which may not be in line with your taste. Also, one interesting thing about taste, just because you don't like its character now, it doesn't mean you won't like it later. It takes a while to understand it, because it is quite different than your usual SS amps. Your brain/ear may need time to adjust. I was quite surprised when I first heard it, and a lot of conflicting opinions for a while until it settled down.

Secondly and more importantly, you should consider whether it synergizes with your DAC and headphones.

I don't think it is a simple better or worse question. This is quite a polarizing amp. Direct comparison with the usual SS amps is trickier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back