Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,621 of 2,952
Nice, did you get the Morpheus Reference II Series II or the Morpheus Reference Series II? I was thinking about buying a pair too. Let me know which one you got and how they perform.
I got the XLR Morpheus Reference II series II . So far so good. Been playing movies to break them in. The Jotenheim 2 is sounding pretty dynamic lot of weight to the sound so far. Pretty natural sounding in the quieter passages so far. I have one of silnotes single ended interconnects I am using in my other system with my Burson conductor 3 ref to my Rogue Rh-5. I really like the performance of the single ended so Maybe the balance XLR performs even better time will tell. So far silnotes are the interconnects of choice for me. Would be interesting to check out silnotes next step up in interconnects.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,622 of 2,952
My Jotunheim has arrived! Much fun to come.
DSC_0075 7 1.JPG

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #1,624 of 2,952
I got the XLR Morpheus Reference II series II . So far so good. Been playing movies to break them in. The Jotenheim 2 is sounding pretty dynamic lot of weight to the sound so far. Pretty natural sounding in the quieter passages so far. I have one of silnotes single ended interconnects I am using in my other system with my Burson conductor 3 ref to my Rogue Rh-5. I really like the performance of the single ended so Maybe the balance XLR performs even better time will tell. So far silnotes are the interconnects of choice for me. Would be interesting to check out silnotes next step up in interconnects.
Thanks, once they settle in, let me know what are the audio traits of the Ref II Series II. Trying to see if this will synergize in my system.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #1,625 of 2,952
Adding my early impressions from my recently arrived Jotunheim 2.

I’ve been interested in the Jotunheim 2 ever since it was announced. I was not a huge fan of the original Jotunheim – it had a ‘metallic’ tinge to its treble that bothered me, and I wanted to listen to the new one before placing an order. However, a recent visit to the Schiitr convinced me that the new Jotunheim is indeed a different beast than the original one, so I placed the order and after a bit of waiting the shipment arrived.

My chain is Windows 10 laptop running J River, Bifrost Multibit – SYS – distribution amp – Jotunheim 2 – Focal Elear. I’ll get around to trying other headphones and comparing with other amps later. (It will be quite tempting to compare the Jotunheim 2 to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Liquid Gold X, both of which are balanced amps, but all in good time.)

I started listening using the single-ended output after letting the Jotunheim 2 warm up. It gets warm to the touch, but not so hot that you can’t keep your hand on it. The sound was enjoyable, smooth and pleasant with an especially nice midrange. However, the amp really came to life when I switched to the balanced output. The bass was punchy and juicy, the midrange was vivid and expressive and the treble was smooth and non-fatiguing. However, the one thing that really stood out was the drive of the music – I think this is what the Brits call PRaT (Pace, Rhythm and Timing). It basically is the quality that makes to bob your head or tap your feet to the music, and I experienced that quality more than I have with any other amp in recent memory. And I wasn’t playing any audiophile demo tracks at all – Liz Phair, AC/DC, Status Quo and other classic rock. The Jotunheim 2 really encouraged me to dig into my music library and I enjoyed every track that I played, and that’s wat it’s all about if you ask me. Great job, Schiit team!

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,626 of 2,952
hello folks. MY question may be odd and irrelevant but has anyone here heard both Jot2 and Ifi Pro Ican and can provide any sort of comparison? I know it does not make sense regarding of Price differences and use scenarios, but purely just based of sonic performance ignoring all of Ican pro somewhat nonsense features and all.. let's say I have an Arya and HD600 or some Audeze or Focal. regarding of punch, Dynamics, engagement factor, staging, detail representation, separation and overall coherency and most importantly ability of make music come to life, how these to stack up against each other? ignoring price differences. I had a brief experience with pro Ican and it somehow sounded like overly thick in a not warm kinda way? kinda felt like music was being forced to play. but I really wont comment on pro Ican since I just briefly heard it. thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,627 of 2,952
I am still burning my new xlr Morpheus Ref 2 in but from my experience with my single ended versions I am sure it will be a good match. The Silnote cables offer a lot of bang for the buck. They have a very natural sound with vey nice midrange . They are definitely superior to my older nordost heimdall original version cable .

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #1,628 of 2,952
hello folks. MY question may be odd and irrelevant but has anyone here heard both Jot2 and Ifi Pro Ican and can provide any sort of comparison? I know it does not make sense regarding of Price differences and use scenarios, but purely just based of sonic performance ignoring all of Ican pro somewhat nonsense features and all.. let's say I have an Arya and HD600 or some Audeze or Focal. regarding of punch, Dynamics, engagement factor, staging, detail representation, separation and overall coherency and most importantly ability of make music come to life, how these to stack up against each other? ignoring price differences. I had a brief experience with pro Ican and it somehow sounded like overly thick in a not warm kinda way? kinda felt like music was being forced to play. but I really wont comment on pro Ican since I just briefly heard it. thanks in advance
While I don’t have the Jot2 (I’m currently waiting on mine to ship), I’ll chime in here because I’ve considered this comparison quite a bit. Im actually optimistic that the Jot2 will sound better than the ican pro. So, I’ve been running the Bifrost 2 into the ican pro for about a year. The biggest reason I wanted the ican was for its all of its flexibility with xbass, tubes, 3D, and inputs/outputs. After a year of using, the only thing I still care about is xbass. All this to say, I think around 75% of the ican pro cost is for all the flexibility and features, not necessarily sound quality. Now that schiit has released the Lokius to replace my xbass addiction, I’ve decided to get the Jot 2 so I can get the same or better sound quality, have a matching schiit stack, and have money left over from a bunch of features I dont care about anymore.

I read a pretty lengthy/ detailed comparison between the Jot 1 and ican pro on some other forum and they said the sound quality was actually pretty similar. So when factoring in all the revisions between the Jot 1 and 2 and just the general reliability and great design happening at schiit, I’m confident the Jot2 sound quality will be great. I realize I’m not discussing the tonal characteristics you mentioned, but its difficult to when I haven’t had another amp to A/B with in over a year.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #1,629 of 2,952
One of the fun things to do when getting a new amp is to try various headphones with it. I have given the Beyerdynamic T1.2 a try over the last few days and I have to say that I've never heard the T1.2 sound better. The treble of the T1.2 can sound bright if it doesn't pair well with the amp, but the Jotunheim 2 using the balanced cable is a great combo. The midrange is vivid and expressive and the treble is smooth and extended without getting bright or grating.

Jul 19, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,630 of 2,952
I just received my Jotunheim 2 yesterday and am using my iFi ZEN DAC V2 as the DAC into the Jot 2 right now. I have plans to get a different DAC in the future. So far I really can't tell much of a difference through my Focal Radiance, the gain + is more impactful than running the iFi as a combo and I leave it off on the Jot2 where I did use it on the iFi. I really would like to find a companion DAC that has a display that shows the bit rate ect... because I think that is fun, I like the tone of the iFi DAC though, I have never tried anything else.

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,631 of 2,952
Hi everyone!! I ordered my Jot2 in black 11 weeks ago, no module at all, just the amp and still there is no date for Schiit to send it.
I was wondering if any of you ordered during May and already have it??? My order was in the first week of May.
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,632 of 2,952
Hi everyone!! I ordered my Jot2 11 weeks ago, no module at all, just the amp and still there is no date for Schiit to send it.
I was wondering if any of you ordered during May and already have it??? My order was in the first week of May.
Thanks!!
I ordered mine last Thursday and got it Sunday. But I ordered the silver, the black says it is backordered many weeks out.

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #1,634 of 2,952
Wow!!! That was fast!!! Yes, I ordered mine in black. I have to edit my first post.
Thanks!!

I ordered my silver unit in late June and it arrived a couple of weeks later - much quicker than expected. So it's possible that the black color is driving the delivery time. Hang in there - it's worth the wait.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #1,635 of 2,952
Wow!!! That was fast!!! Yes, I ordered mine in black. I have to edit my first post.
Thanks!!
Yeah... I ordered my Black (No Mod) Jot on 5/4 and it still hasn't shipped. We're in the same boat! I check impatiently each day.....EVENTUALLY.

Not to bum you out too much, but I've seen a couple guys with orders from March / April waiting too. Not sure why the holdup is only on the Black. Assumption obviously is that they can't get the black shell in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back