Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 22, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #152,656 of 155,069
This will be the last Jazz/Fusion recommendation for a bit as I've been on a bit of a Fusion streak. Time to give other subgenres some lovin'.

Steve Smith and Vital Information has been a fav in my Fusion rotation. Steve is a very accomplished Jazz drummer that typically showcases his talents in the form of longer solos, which can be great or not so great depending on how you feel about drums. This particular live album has a good balance of drumming as a part of the music as opposed to the centerpiece of the music (except for one track, anyway). Anyhow -- I think it is a good album w/ lots of energy and a top-tier representation of crossover/fusion, IMHO. Enjoy!

Today's Jazz recommendation is...

JazzReco-6.jpg
Steve is great!! I saw Vital Information play back in 1983, when he first got that band together.

May 22, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #152,657 of 155,069
I hear you. I went through my tube phase earlier. For about two years I was Oracle with Koetsu, via SME 309 arm, into an OG ARC SP-3A. I came THIS close to replacing with either SP6 or 11, but, since by then I’d fallen in love with the Apogees, I decided to optimize around them… evaluated everything in the top tiers back then, Krell, Pass, Threshold, Classe’, ARC, CJ, McIntosh and more… and the Classe’ pair had the most synergy.

I still sometimes crave tube, and might just snag a new Vali 3 since so cheap… it should have enough to drive my Koss’ energizer… also awaiting the new Stjarna (Schiit tube uber preamp this summer (?)

Based on what I *still* hear in my system, I’m convinced that “ear training” trumps innate “device frequency response”. That’s where familiarity with real, acoustic music in real places you know comes in… set’s the “standard”
I have a reference standard that was created for my audio group. Otherwise I own plenty of other pieces. I know for a fact I have heard my standard over 2,000 times so I know it fairly well.😁 I go with other tracks for more fun evaluations. I spent plenty of years with solid state so I certainly got my fill. I do not mind it for television sound, or background music in my shop or outdoors but I cannot use it anymore like I once did. Only tubes for my most enjoyable listening and they are very specific tubes. 😜

May 22, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #152,658 of 155,069
Yup - pretty much the methodology my Dad used to tame recording studios and smaller music venues , cut out chaotic frequency reverberations or at least stop them from canceling or adding to what your trying to listen to .
reflection and absorption - easy to get too much or not enough, the real quieter of obnoxious sounds is getting the early and late reflections tamed. Diffusion and decetn sized rooms with solid floors, walls, apertures, and any sloping surfaces is the way - and wall to wall carpeting is the devils spawn - along with too much glass, and big giant equipment racks between the speakers, in particular taller than 18" - but - its a vast subject - to vast to get into at length here....

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #152,659 of 155,069
Nice! Very nice as usual..

I showed my wife your latest pix of the boards u make..she said "Wow!"

She would hate to use them they are so beautiful!

Birthday is coming up in Jube, 75 yrs!
Hmmm...

A new dac (the YGGY GS) or a MJ3 Class A classic...???

:>)
Alex
How about a Yggy an Urd and a nice big cake?:slight_smile:

May 22, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #152,661 of 155,069
I downloaded the GoldBelly app. It has Cowgirl Creamery as well as BBQ from NC and Texas Brisket. Chicago deep dish pizza etc.
I was going to say that Cowgirl is 30 minutes from my house, but... if you have an alternate supplier, I'll bow out... <g>

May 22, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #152,662 of 155,069
I was going to say that Cowgirl is 30 minutes from my house, but... if you have an alternate supplier, I'll bow out... <g>
That is so kind of you but I would have to do something for you first. I do not recall ever making anything for you or gifting you tubes etc. No doubt I have seen you around and read your posts. :beerchug:

My current favorite is a Merlot BellaVitano. Is sometimes made with Kentucky bourbon as well. It means “the good life” in Italian.😉

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #152,664 of 155,069
My recent addition of Yggy has been a revelation; digital finally really sounds like enjoyable music to me instead of its former un-reality (to ME). As you can likely see here, it’s complete challenged some very long-standing assumptions…
Hear, hear brother. Yggy bends the DAC price-performance curve like a black hole bends space-time. Next to Tyr, best deal EVER in hi-fi.

Plus, streaming seems relatively cheap/harmless (he says, famous last words)
You can just stream to your heart's content, as I do on Qobuz. When I find something I really like, I buy the LP or the CD. Massive access to millions of albums for a pittance. And no records to clean / flip / obsess over, at least for casual listening. And it's good enough to listen to analytically, too.

I can stream from my PC, iPhone, iPad Pro or my dedicated streamer. I downloaded / off-lined about 22 hours of playlists to my iPad last Saturday, and listened to high-rez music (via USB C to AQ Dragonfly Cobalt and my 1MORE Triple-driver wired IEMs) from SFO to FRA on Sunday. I'll keep the iPad in off-line state, and use my iPhone with the B&W PI7 Bluetooth 'buds while I'm commuting from my hotel to the office in Ghent. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

If you're resisting streaming, think again. Qobuz does not equal Spotify, it's miles better.

May 22, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #152,665 of 155,069
Hear, hear brother. Yggy bends the DAC price-performance curve like a black hole bends space-time. Next to Tyr, best deal EVER in hi-fi.

You can just stream to your heart's content, as I do on Qobuz. When I find something I really like, I buy the LP or the CD. Massive access to millions of albums for a pittance. And no records to clean / flip / obsess over, at least for casual listening. And it's good enough to listen to analytically, too.

I can stream from my PC, iPhone, iPad Pro or my dedicated streamer. I downloaded / off-lined about 22 hours of playlists to my iPad last Saturday, and listened to high-rez music (via USB C to AQ Dragonfly Cobalt and my 1MORE Triple-driver wired IEMs) from SFO to FRA on Sunday. I'll keep the iPad in off-line state, and use my iPhone with the B&W PI7 Bluetooth 'buds while I'm commuting from my hotel to the office in Ghent. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

If you're resisting streaming, think again. Qobuz does not equal Spotify, it's miles better.
Very well said. I do not mind the cleaning and flipping of records unless I get busy with other things. It is a warm day here so a little listening, a little woodworking, a little hanging out in the shade with Finnegan. I am also working on adding a personal assistant or agent to handle sales of some of my work, as well as my wife’s. In my area it does not hurt when the young woman in question is the granddaughter of an IU basketball legend.😁

May 22, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #152,666 of 155,069
That is so kind of you but I would have to do something for you first. I do not recall ever making anything for you or gifting you tubes etc. No doubt I have seen you around and read your posts. :beerchug:

My current favorite is a Merlot BellaVitano. Is sometimes made with Kentucky bourbon as well. It means “the good life” in Italian.😉
Tom, just reading your words here (and seeing your work and the beautiful things that you've made for others) are enough for me.
I would be more than glad to make the extreme sacrifice ( :slight_smile::smiley::stuck_out_tongue: ) of driving out to Point Reyes for you (when I get back home from this work trip, of course).

I will investigate the fine art of FedEx'ing cheese, and be awaiting your request(s). Cheers!

May 22, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #152,667 of 155,069
I have a reference standard that was created for my audio group. Otherwise I own plenty of other pieces. I know for a fact I have heard my standard over 2,000 times so I know it fairly well.😁 I go with other tracks for more fun evaluations. I spent plenty of years with solid state so I certainly got my fill. I do not mind it for television sound, or background music in my shop or outdoors but I cannot use it anymore like I once did. Only tubes for my most enjoyable listening and they are very specific tubes. 😜
Know any tubes that can drive Apogees? Yeah, see that’s the issue for me.

They are literally the ONLY reason I don’t have any current tube amp/gear… but a good tube pre could easily change that. Alas, I’m not likely to ever find any tube amp that could remotely drive them, at least not at less than TOTL Lexus LS price points…

I had a roommate for a year that had stacked quad ESL63s driven by all tube ARC gear. Orgasmic, indeed. Yeah, no real bass, but the musicality of the mids? <shudder>

In college, frat brother’s father in law had an amazing 15ips R2R feeding a Levinson ML2 and thence into small tube monoblocks (alas this was 1979? 78? And don’t remember brand) thence to OG Klipschorns - the biggies. OMG, that was what launched my high end journey.

I get tubes, I love tubes. But I love me my ribbon planar speakers even more. But you can bet I’m watching what @Jason Stoddard and his boffins might be up to in re: statement tube preamp extremely closely. :ksc75smile:

May 22, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #152,668 of 155,069
why should lexus just get the love

May 22, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #152,669 of 155,069
Know any tubes that can drive Apogees? Yeah, see that’s the issue for me.

They are literally the ONLY reason I don’t have any current tube amp/gear… but a good tube pre could easily change that. Alas, I’m not likely to ever find any tube amp that could remotely drive them, at least not at less than TOTL Lexus LS price points…

I had a roommate for a year that had stacked quad ESL63s driven by all tube ARC gear. Orgasmic, indeed. Yeah, no real bass, but the musicality of the mids? <shudder>

In college, frat brother’s father in law had an amazing 15ips R2R feeding a Levinson ML2 and thence into small tube monoblocks (alas this was 1979? 78? And don’t remember brand) thence to OG Klipschorns - the biggies. OMG, that was what launched my high end journey.

I get tubes, I love tubes. But I love me my ribbon planar speakers even more. But you can bet I’m watching what @Jason Stoddard and his boffins might be up to in re: statement tube preamp extremely closely. :ksc75smile:
A pair of Audio Research Ref 750's will drive yer Apogees...easily:L3000:

May 22, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #152,670 of 155,069
You do know that's not an either/or question?

Nice! Very nice as usual..

I showed my wife your latest pix of the boards u make..she said "Wow!"

She would hate to use them they are so beautiful!

Birthday is coming up in June, 75 yrs!
Hmmm...

A new dac (the YGGY GS) or a MJ3 Class A classic...???

:>)
Alex
I would have to vote for both. I got both, and I regret nothing. Nothing, I say! The combination is magical. I still can't get over how great the very first Yggy was. And the GS is fully upgradable.... And the MJ3 is so smooth and beautifully detailed. Such a lovely sound. Happy, happy ears.

I think it's time to upgrade my main system to a nice Yggdrasil as well. The GS is such a good deal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back