Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 22, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #152,641 of 155,035
I had time to enjoy a cup of coffee this morn then looked outside to find a large box of records from @sam6550a. Every great Moody Blues album that I know of, more Gordon Lightfoot, more Joan Baez, some Ian and Sylvia, etc. I am firing up my main system now for a day of listening.

May 22, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #152,643 of 155,035
I had time to enjoy a cup of coffee this morn then looked outside to find a large box of records from @sam6550a. Every great Moody Blues album that I know of, more Gordon Lightfoot, more Joan Baez, some Ian and Sylvia, etc. I am firing up my main system now for a day of listening.
Moody Blues!
Oh yes!!

Enjoy Tom!
Alex

Bathroom reno is 99.9% done, doing some final paint touch-up & shoe Moulding...waiting on shower glass and door...
Then is "shower time"...lol!

May 22, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #152,644 of 155,035
I meant to comment on the cardboard insulation earlier. I would be concerned that a piece or two might vibrate out of place. Everything in the universe vibrates at a specific frequency or frequencies, even cardboard.
• Exactly why @bcowen insists on double-wall / triple-wall cardboard for his domestic high-rise "boardominium". Plus, he demands that each corrugation layer is criss-crossed -- for maximum strength!
• All the above is documented for borrowing purposes. For tax appraisal, it's single-wall (?) paper mache ... 😏👍.

May 22, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #152,645 of 155,035
Moody Blues!
Oh yes!!

Enjoy Tom!
Alex

Bathroom reno is 99.9% done, doing some final paint touch-up & shoe Moulding...waiting on shower glass and door...
Then is "shower time"...lol!
lol I bet it will be amazing. After a few mellow records I will be ready to start tackling a Tyr build. IMG_7955.jpeg
A functional build with added beauty perhaps. I am considering a bloodwood strip in addition to the very outside being tiger maple.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #152,647 of 155,035
Nice! Very nice as usual..

I showed my wife your latest pix of the boards u make..she said "Wow!"

She would hate to use them they are so beautiful!

Birthday is coming up in Jube, 75 yrs!
Hmmm...

A new dac (the YGGY GS) or a MJ3 Class A classic...???

:>)
Alex
Those are only used as charcuterie boards, some have just put them on display. A local professor bought both of those and paid far more than I asked but that helped me cover costs for those less fortunate. I am a Gemini and not far behind you, June 8 for me, 68 was taken in my name here so I upped it to 79.

May 22, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #152,648 of 155,035
Yup - pretty much the methodology my Dad used to tame recording studios and smaller music venues , cut out chaotic frequency reverberations or at least stop them from canceling or adding to what your trying to listen to .
"A properly treated room means you will listen to more of your system and less of your room." I forget who first said that, but it was a saying I picked up at THX back in the day...

May 22, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #152,649 of 155,035
"A properly treated room means you will listen to more of your system and less of your room."
.... ergo? .... a properly treated head means you will listen to more of your headphones and less of your head. 😳🤪

May 22, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #152,650 of 155,035
Have a great listening experience. Enjoy!

May 22, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #152,651 of 155,035
Birthday is coming up in Jube, 75 yrs!
Hmmm...

A new dac (the YGGY GS) or a MJ3 Class A classic...???
You do know that's not an either/or question?

May 22, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #152,653 of 155,035
As best I recall we generally lose an octave after age 50 but it is not enough to affect most music we hear. I also believe in something called trained hearing. Some might not hear a difference in tube sound when first exposed. I started with tube gear at age 14, I was later exposed to Dynaco tube amps and even built some of their solid state devices. After many years with solid state I longed for Class A tube sound like I heard early on with Klipschhorns. When I could not find a tube headphone amp I liked very well, I designed my own.😁 Now as far as DAC’s there are few higher end units I have not heard, I will listen to the opinion of any one person and make up my own mind but I am often interested in the opinions of large groups in blind studies. Will they agree or disagree with my personal findings? Oh and we take time to train people how to listen to various examples. Sometimes it is not enough to approximate 20-20,000 hearing.😜 Oh and I do rotate a Yggy inro my system on occasion, it is in my top five.
I hear you. I went through my tube phase earlier. For about two years I was Oracle with Koetsu, via SME 309 arm, into an OG ARC SP-3A. I came THIS close to replacing with either SP6 or 11, but, since by then I’d fallen in love with the Apogees, I decided to optimize around them… evaluated everything in the top tiers back then, Krell, Pass, Threshold, Classe’, ARC, CJ, McIntosh and more… and the Classe’ pair had the most synergy.

I still sometimes crave tube, and might just snag a new Vali 3 since so cheap… it should have enough to drive my Koss’ energizer… also awaiting the new Stjarna (Schiit tube uber preamp this summer (?)

Based on what I *still* hear in my system, I’m convinced that “ear training” trumps innate “device frequency response”. That’s where familiarity with real, acoustic music in real places you know comes in… set’s the “standard”
As best I recall we generally lose an octave after age 50 but it is not enough to affect most music we hear. I also believe in something called trained hearing. Some might not hear a difference in tube sound when first exposed. I started with tube gear at age 14, I was later exposed to Dynaco tube amps and even built some of their solid state devices. After many years with solid state I longed for Class A tube sound like I heard early on with Klipschhorns. When I could not find a tube headphone amp I liked very well, I designed my own.😁 Now as far as DAC’s there are few higher end units I have not heard, I will listen to the opinion of any one person and make up my own mind but I am often interested in the opinions of large groups in blind studies. Will they agree or disagree with my personal findings? Oh and we take time to train people how to listen to various examples. Sometimes it is not enough to approximate 20-20,000 hearing.😜 Oh and I do rotate a Yggy inro my system on occasion, it is in my top five.

May 22, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #152,655 of 155,035
The above feeds into my hypotheses that what is perceived as "bright" is actually noise from clipping somewhere in the chain. Turn the volume down, and the clipping is less and everything sounds a bit better. There are "bright" pieces of equipment, too, but most things described as bright I think is that sort of clipping.

In terms of loudness, when I had my Janszen Valentina P8 those would get loud without one noticing and that was cool and a bit dangerous. There was even a warning in both the manual and the Stereophile review about that. It sounded so good so loud :ksc75smile:

The inventor of the tube trap had a blog post about how the "echos" from a stereo playing could "fill a room with noise" and make loud music unpleasant. Putting in sound dampening walls (probably floor and ceiling, too) would let people play music louder and still enjoy it more.
I’m certain it wasn’t distortion, it was just loud enough (for her taste) to bother her and she called me on it. I’ve had it louder for much intrinsically brighter material (e.g. Peter Gabriel’s So, for all it’s merits is a bit “hot/tizzy” even on LP) and it didn’t bother ME. She really thinks 80dB is too loud. (Her limit is more like 70dB on Pink Floyd or Rush which she’s just not into…

I’m pretty pleased with the room finally. Moving the equipment OUT and under, freed up space and air at the front of the room, allowed me almost perfect symmetry (that end of the room is unloaded to open halls on both sides equally. Listening end has floor to ceiling drapes on the curtains, etc. Note her seating position is in the more closed in corner of the room - it has a real corner versus my side which is open to the dining room). So it’s quite possible she’s at a “reinforcement” region so the loudness of some sounds might be amplified. But that’s for sure NOT in the highs. It could make everything “too loud” to her. Still doing some experimenting there. We’ve a corner mount curio cabinet there that has a big floor to ceiling open triangle behind it just begging to be filled with, say, rock wool or some-such to damp the lower freaks…

But the room has excellent slap-echo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back