Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #149,161 of 150,554
Nevermind, my friend, when you remember something, please kindly tell us, I am a fan of Croatia music, even the former Yugoslavia ones, or Balkans.

By the way, Nenad Vasilic also wonderful.
Thanks, I didn't know about him, it's a definitive listen!

He's from Niš, so one has to mention Šaban Bajramović (and Esma Redžepova) for Romani music :)

Another band worth mentioning is Cubismo - latin jazz mix of musicians and styles. They collaborated with many local and global musicians, including Šaban and Josipa Lisac, on their "Amigos" album.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #149,162 of 150,554
Thanks, I didn't know about him, it's a definitive listen!

He's from Niš, so one has to mention Šaban Bajramović (and Esma Redžepova) for Romani music :)

Another band worth mentioning is Cubismo - latin jazz mix of musicians and styles. They collaborated with many local and global musicians, including Šaban and Josipa Lisac, on their "Amigos" album.

I have Esma with Ferus Mustafov "Legends of Gypsy Music from Macedonia".
Others not, will try. Thank you again ~~ :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #149,163 of 150,554
Nobody knows. I think it's not the old school AgI particle there. Definitely top secret stuff. Normal contrail condensation disperse into transparent gas within 5 seconds or so hence contrails dissipate as the plane crosses through and does not leave end to end horizon long trails while those chemtrails stay there and blankets the sky after some hours passed

Even those contrails from Blue Angels airshows dissipate pretty quickly while those from 40K+ feet altitude stay there blanketing the until the next day where winds pretty much dispersed them completely

I'm assuming that's a joke. I run a weather page on FB that's somehow amassed 15k followers (it was supposed to be for ~20 family and friends), primarily focused on severe weather for my region (I'm a chaser), and I've had to ban many "chemtrail" conspiracy theorists who poke their heads up every time a pic of a cool cloud formation or one with a contrail is posted. I had a big flurry of 'em when SW Ontario had a wonderful display of Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds across a broad swath of the region this Winter and I posted this pic. Afterwards, I set the filters on the page to auto-block a whole bunch of conspiracy terms. Reality is so much cooler and far more interesting than some of these oddball conspiracy fantasies.

1714040444620.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #149,164 of 150,554
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #149,165 of 150,554
I've studied this matter quite closely, and I have some relevant technical background. A good CD transport may sound better than a mediocre streamer for several reasons that I could go into if needed. But there are also good streamers, it's just that good streamers tend to cost more than equivalently good transports.
I have tried some very expensive streamers.
They get very, very close to CD (at least to these old ears) and I am not 100% confident that I could tell them apart in a blind test.
I really like having 4 sources for music:
Ripped CDs on hard drive
Qobuz
Physical CDs
Vinyl

All four have their advantages and disadvantages.

For convenience, Qobuz or ripped CDs win hands down.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #149,166 of 150,554
So now that the Valhalla 3 is not coming out I think I will need to consider alternatives. I'd like to upgrade my Lyr 3 with something else with tubes. I rarely use headphones anymore so I was thinking a Freya+ should be in my future. Anyone used both the Lyr and Freya+ or n and can tell me how much better the Freya is? Will I gain a fair bit of clarity and detail or not really? Is the Freya any more or less tubey than the Lyr? Thanks for any info you can provide.

I'm using Freya N into the FV using differential buffer mode and uniti gain on the Freya.

More importantly, I'm using the Freya N tube buffer mode with the Jot2 in uniti gain to get both the remote control and the tube flavor. It's the best tube hybrid setup I've had to date. I owned the Lyr 2 and this combo has more of the holographic tube goodness. I was not a fan of the Jot2 and it sat unused until I added the Freya.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #149,169 of 150,554
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #149,170 of 150,554
... PSVane tubes IME, but $180/pair is pretty steep for new production 12AU7's.
Sort of curious about the cost of production of a new tube? I'm sure QC would drive the cost up a bit (a lot?)

The cost of most of the tubes discussed here is less about the cost of production and more about rarity etc?

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #149,171 of 150,554
I'm assuming that's a joke. I run a weather page on FB that's somehow amassed 15k followers (it was supposed to be for ~20 family and friends), primarily focused on severe weather for my region (I'm a chaser), and I've had to ban many "chemtrail" conspiracy theorists who poke their heads up every time a pic of a cool cloud formation or one with a contrail is posted. I had a big flurry of 'em when SW Ontario had a wonderful display of Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds across a broad swath of the region this Winter and I posted this pic. Afterwards, I set the filters on the page to auto-block a whole bunch of conspiracy terms. Reality is so much cooler and far more interesting than some of these oddball conspiracy fantasies.

1714040444620.png
If I didn't know you I'd think that was photoshopped! So cool. You see this from your street?

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #149,172 of 150,554
Sort of curious about the cost of production of a new tube? I'm sure QC would drive the cost up a bit (a lot?)

The cost of most of the tubes discussed here is less about the cost of production and more about rarity etc?
When it comes to NOS tubes, for sure. You have to take inflation into account, but even with that many of the very desirable tubes from the '50's and '60's cost a fraction back then of what they do now, and the manufacturers presumably still made a decent profit on them.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #149,173 of 150,554

Amazing! I've never seen Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds before like this.

I've also thought that if I lived in the Midwest, I'd be a storm chaser for sure!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #149,174 of 150,554
So now that the Valhalla 3 is not coming out I think I will need to consider alternatives. I'd like to upgrade my Lyr 3 with something else with tubes. I rarely use headphones anymore so I was thinking a Freya+ should be in my future. Anyone used both the Lyr and Freya+ or n and can tell me how much better the Freya is? Will I gain a fair bit of clarity and detail or not really? Is the Freya any more or less tubey than the Lyr? Thanks for any info you can provide.
I have a Freya+ - Vidar OG feeding a pair of Magnepan LRS speakers. I love what I get from it. It will punch way above its price point. Great detail and a beautiful balanced sound. I don't think you can do better for 3 to 4 x the price.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #149,175 of 150,554
I've always thought it absurd to the point of hilarity to think that the world's airlines, who can barely manage to get their planes to the arrival destination in anything resembling on time, would be coordinated enough to not only engage in any kind of chemtrail activities on a scale this large AND keep it secret enough that only the conspiracy junkies know about it. Serious ROFL-content. 🤪

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back