Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #149,102 of 150,898
Appreciate the inside "how the sausage is made" update, even if the update is negative or unfortunate! As a consumer of schiit gear, this kind of just narrows down my next schiit purchase to either a Vali 3 or Valhalla 2 (Lyr+ I am unsure of, because at 600+ with a tube, the cost reminds me how close that is to Bifrost 2/64 and I've been wanting to upgrade my dac from a Modius E). Either way, this interlude (not a chapter but not just a comment by you) is helpful for my purchase considerations.
I was looking to step up from my Vali 2++ and was going to consider the Valhalla 3. So now it's either the Vali 3 which is getting a lot of love or the Lyr+. Like you I appreciate the heads up and I'm happy to spend my money on Schiit products.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #149,103 of 150,898
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #149,104 of 150,898
He probably wrote it! :D

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #149,105 of 150,898
I am the same way with literature, if I find an author I like I tend to read all of their works. In this case I tend to have a great deal of music in order by specific artists as well as those from the same time periods. Mostly 1960’s, and 1970’s rock,folk, blues, and jazz but the collection extends to 2010 and later with fewer items added lately. I added a large group of classical CD’s a couple years ago and kept all of my favorites. You kind of know about vinyl I have arriving starting today.🤪 Some of my collection is from the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s but there is much less of that. I nearly had 5,000 Jazz CD’s but the seller backed out of the sale and EBay would only stop him from listing again.😄 Most all are vinyl, tape, or lossless but I do have MP3’s I might use as background music for outdoor parties. Few are listening much then anyway and I stopped using more serious gear for that purpose.

I'm very much the same way with books and music. I tend to be a "completest" when I find an author or musical artist that I like. I'm currently reading the complete works of Tolkien and philosopher and cognitive scientist Daniel Dennett. Both were gifted with extraordinary minds and a talent for getting their ideas across. Musically, I've recently been diving deep into the works of Christian McBride.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #149,106 of 150,898
I like options and have them.🤪 .... Lately I receive and purchase more vinyl ....
... is this on the way ...?
IMG_7909.jpeg
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #149,107 of 150,898
So.. Unfortunately my Vali3 is broken. Turning the volume gives an rather loud scraping sound in the right channel. At the same time the woofer of my LS50 travels the max distance. Using the Mjolnir3 works like a charm, luckily..

Going to send it back to Sonority, the european importer, tomorrow..

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #149,108 of 150,898
.... to a previous sine wavelength ....
IMG_7910.jpeg
🤷🏻‍♂️ 🤔 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #149,109 of 150,898
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #149,110 of 150,898
Indeed. I could imagine spinning vinyl again if I had more space and more patience, but I can't imagine any reason to push bits into a DAC from a spinning CD rather than from a file with the very same bits. But that's me, and my willingness to spend quite a bit in streaming hardware.
I felt the same way, until I bought a CD Transport.
I blame Mike; he always said that a good CD Transport and DAC is the best way to replay digital recordings.
It didn’t seem logical to me, but, to my ears, CDs rule for digital recordings.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #149,111 of 150,898
... is this on the way ...? 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Not so far but I am just now opening the box.🤪 At first glance the album covers are in amazing condition, all from my buddy @sam6550a! My wife is going to love this collection as well. Finnegan was disappointed, they arrived in a large SeaBear salmon box but he will get over it. :ksc75smile:
Finnegan is enjoying Tapestry by Carole King, his kind of cat is on the album cover.IMG_7829.jpeg
Each to their own but for me there is great joy in having the artful album cover and record information at hand. Then there is the reverence with which you handle the record to insure its condition. These records were obviously handled with great care.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #149,112 of 150,898
I felt the same way, until I bought a CD Transport.
I blame Mike; he always said that a good CD Transport and DAC is the best way to replay digital recordings.
It didn’t seem logical to me, but, to my ears, CDs rule for digital recordings.
I listen to CD’s when I can. I rip all my CD’s to both FLAC’s and to very high res MP3’s. I could A/B them to each other or to CD’s but I’m unmotivated. I listen to the CD’s in my music room and to the files in the car or hotel rooms or my kitchen. If others find CD’s more audibly appealing I am very open to that. I don’t have time to set up a good A/B test nor the emotional energy to perform it. I love taking a CD out of a case and inserting it into a physical drive. I love listening to every song in order. I love drinking a solitary glass of red wine and eating a single square of very dark chocolate during the listening. But I encourage all of you to A/B files versus CD’s, and I encourage Mike Moffat to rant about bits getting abused in optical cables, bad filters, or wherever bits might be mangled. Like Mike I try to listen to live music whenever possible. I guess this reply became either a manifesto or a love story. Sorry.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #149,113 of 150,898
Not so far but I am just now opening the box.🤪 At first glance the album covers are in amazing condition, all from my buddy @sam6550a! My wife is going to love this collection as well. Finnegan was disappointed, they arrived in a large SeaBear salmon box but he will get over it. :ksc75smile:
Finnegan is enjoying Tapestry by Carole King, his kind of cat is on the dust cover.IMG_7829.jpeg
Each to their own but for me there is great joy in having the artful album cover and record information at hand. Then there is the reverence with which you handle the record to insure its condition. These records were obviously handled with great care.
Enjoy, my friend!

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #149,114 of 150,898
Enjoy, my friend!
I enjoy hearing such things in the original format. The Emerson, Lake, and Palmer are definitely in better condition than my copies. :ksc75smile: From this time period you have Larry Carlton, Wilton Felder, and Joe Sample as studio musicians.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #149,115 of 150,898
Definitely looks like sequencing to me.

Sometimes it's just some track adjustments such as the Southwest 1980 to delay the flight slightly and achieve the right separation for the arrival sequencing, or it might be something more is required such as holding patterns due a to a range of factors (weather most often, or different enroute winds meaning arrival slots are not exact and everyone wants the runway at the same time!)

Here's a nice view of weather related holds as a result a the storm cell that was over Melbourne airport on Dec 26th last year. There were more than this but FR24 only allow 6 at once to be displayed.

Holds 2023-12-26.png
Nice try! We all know this is to spread the chemtrails around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back