Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #149,086 of 151,483
Indeed. I could imagine spinning vinyl again if I had more space and more patience, but I can't imagine any reason to push bits into a DAC from a spinning CD rather than from a file with the very same bits. But that's me, and my willingness to spend quite a bit in streaming hardware.
Cool. Sell me your CD’s for rehoming… :wink:

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #149,087 of 151,483
It is wonderful, Thanks @gljus !

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 20.06.27.png

Been to Mijet June 2019, beautiful island.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 20.16.51.png

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 20.16.39.png

Svete Marjie

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 20.18.57.png
Happy to hear that - same here, but in 2020 :D took the most of Covid travel restrictions to enjoy the island mostly for myself!

It's great that it was made into a National Park to save it for later generations... especially if you take a look at what's happening in other parts of the coastline 🤦‍♂️

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #149,088 of 151,483
A signed Klapa CD from Split, Croatia.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 20.47.38.png

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #149,089 of 151,483
Happy to hear that - same here, but in 2020 :D took the most of Covid travel restrictions to enjoy the island mostly for myself!

It's great that it was made into a National Park to save it for later generations... especially if you take a look at what's happening in other parts of the coastline 🤦‍♂️

I did hike around the island in 3 hours, nice scenery and fresh air.

I also been to Plitvicka Jezera many times, forgot 7 or 8 times, saw all four seasons there, really love it.

By the way, my wife loves the Croata scarves, and I like the olive oil produced by Stella Croatica.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #149,091 of 151,483
The angle from 12 o'clock gives the fraction of track time. Green seems to be dynamic peak, yellow not sure. This is MusicScope, an awesome app that still runs on my Macbook, but that very unfortunately was orphaned when its developer went out of business, and the online manual evaporated when their domain was taken over by a different company.
With a little bit of searching, you can still find the free version with manual.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #149,092 of 151,483
I like options and have them.🤪 As well as streaming I personally own in excess of 65,000 albums on vinyl, CD, hard drives , and reel to reel. Lately I receive and purchase more vinyl.
Hoarder. :slight_smile:

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #149,097 of 151,483
If you like Dragojević, try Arsen Dedić - he's an even bigger legend. His son, Matija Dedić, is also a great jazz player if you're into that. And talking about Croatian jazz musicians, Boško Petrović is another legend on European level.
Here's a live album that features both Matija and Boško ... it's on Qobuz.

Boilers Big Band - Live .png

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #149,098 of 151,483
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #149,099 of 151,483
Oh you guys are hilarious.

And the way things are going, you're gonna be very lucky if there is a Valhalla 3. Ever.

Warning: mini-chapter ahead.

Today, after months of painful back and forth with transformers, the whole Valhalla 3 thing came to a head. As far as transformers go, we are screwed in any number of ways:

1. A transformer that is perfectly fine, but runs at 90-95 degrees C. No, that's not a misprint. No, that's not Freedum Units. Now, transformers--even base-model, low-spec ones--can run at temperatures that will boil water for years, but your fingers will be less than happy when that transformer sits 1/4" away from an aluminum top panel.​
2. A transformer that runs cool, but has so much radiated field that it turns the steel bottom chassis into a paint shaker. I mean seriously insane. Like might-suck-your-Vidar-down-into-a-bottomless-magnetic-chasm insane.​
3. A 2-transformer solution that runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
4. A single larger transformer than runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
5. Two provisional untested solutions, each based on stuff we've never done before, like running heaters in series. Still waiting to hear if the transformer manufacturer laughs those out of the room.​

So right now we have no product. Maybe if we added a fan to #1, but come on, do you guys want a desktop tube amp that has a fan in it? Never mind, I know the answer to that.

On top of all that, in an ultimate ironic note, I got a shipment from a favorite winery today.

One of the wines was a blend. Called "Valhalla."

I almost opened it on the spot.

And I should have. On my way out to the car, I dropped the bottle on the concrete parking lot. It had the expected effect.

The Valhalla curse struck again.

IMG_4292.jpg

So yeah, I'm kinda done with Valhallas (of any kind) for a while.

Does that mean Valhalla 3 is dead? Not yet, but we don't have a workable solution yet.

It'll happen when, and if, it happens.
Appreciate the inside "how the sausage is made" update, even if the update is negative or unfortunate! As a consumer of schiit gear, this kind of just narrows down my next schiit purchase to either a Vali 3 or Valhalla 2 (Lyr+ I am unsure of, because at 600+ with a tube, the cost reminds me how close that is to Bifrost 2/64 and I've been wanting to upgrade my dac from a Modius E). Either way, this interlude (not a chapter but not just a comment by you) is helpful for my purchase considerations.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #149,100 of 151,483
I am the same way with literature, if I find an author I like I tend to read all of their works. In this case I tend to have a great deal of music in order by specific artists as well as those from the same time periods. Mostly 1960’s, and 1970’s rock,folk, blues, and jazz but the collection extends to 2010 and later with fewer items added lately. I added a large group of classical CD’s a couple years ago and kept all of my favorites. You kind of know about vinyl I have arriving starting today.🤪 Some of my collection is from the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s but there is much less of that. I nearly had 5,000 Jazz CD’s but the seller backed out of the sale and EBay would only stop him from listing again.😄 Most all are vinyl, tape, or lossless but I do have MP3’s I might use as background music for outdoor parties. Few are listening much then anyway and I stopped using more serious gear for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back