Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #148,966 of 150,554

You know how there's Grendel, telling the story of Beowulf from the "monster's" POV?
Where's Dune told from the Sandworms PoV? I mean, the horror of having one's offspring drowned so that some bipeds can harvest some psychoactive drug?

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #148,967 of 150,554
Thoughts on these cables? I have been looking at a few of them to try and tidy up the mess I have. The seem reasonably priced (for Australia) and they are available on Amazon AU, which is a plus for me.
I have two pair & they are fine/good. I like being able to choose the cable and connector. haven’t checked the soldering, and I’ve moved to the Snake Oil Taipans (but they might prove cost-ineffective to those of you down under).

I tried one, bought another, and then the Snake Oil Taipans were recommended.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #148,968 of 150,554
You make me wonder: what if the artist created it in MP3? There's no possible hi res version of it in that case.

edit: ninja'd by @ArmchairPhilosopher ...
Unless I misunderstood, pretty sure the plots of the cd version and the "hi res" version were markedly different, with the cd version not showing the mp3-like pattern.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #148,969 of 150,554
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #148,970 of 150,554
Unless I misunderstood, pretty sure the plots of the cd version and the "hi res" version were markedly different, with the cd version not showing the mp3-like pattern.
IIRC, it was said that the source of the song on the CD was an MP3. Just that it had to be converted to Redbook to be turned into a CD.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #148,971 of 150,554
’m pointing out that many tracks being sold as HiRes are based off of lossless 16/44 masters.
You'd not see a 16kHz brick wall for those, though. Here are two examples, 44.1/16 and 96/24.

Third Samba.flac_report.png

Vertical Lifestyle.flac_report.png

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #148,972 of 150,554
You know how there's Grendel, telling the story of Beowulf from the "monster's" POV?
Where's Dune told from the Sandworms PoV? I mean, the horror of having one's offspring drowned so that some bipeds can harvest some psychoactive drug?
It wasn't really clear to me that the baby sandworm was drowned per se.
Another interpretation could be one of those "just add water" scenarios; put the worm in a pool of water, stick a tube down its throat, and it barfs up blue hallucinogens. (?) IDK, and inquiring minds want to know...

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #148,974 of 150,554
Before purchasing, I specifically asked a representative from highresaudio.com, to which I was assured that it was in Hi-Res format and they guaranteed it. Also on this site there are assurances from representatives that files are 100% checked for compliance with high standards. Based on the above, I concluded that no one checks these files and even after checking, they claim that this song complies with the Hi-Res standard. Do you also think that I'm wrong?
And you don't think they're cheating? Then what do you think should be done with music for you to consider it deception?
Qobuz also sell a 24/48 download of the album: https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/yello-40-years-yello/kripuacosfz6b

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 3.25.30 PM.png

My thought is the following but it is only my conjecture. I think that Qobuz and highresaudio are simply selling FLAC files they receive from the record label (in this case the record label is Yello, same name as the band). The files are technically in 24/48 format ("hi-res") and that is what the representative verified. I do feel that it is misleading and dishonest if it was mastered from lower res source material. However, it is an "official" hi-res release from the record label, and the retailer won't feel that it is their job to verify or challenge it. It seems to be a widespread practice in the music industry to upsample a recording and sell it as hi-res.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #148,975 of 150,554
Wonderful point! This is exactly what people need to think about in this day and age!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back