Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #148,936 of 150,382
Shall I start again? I was looking for this song in high resolution, because on the official CD, which must comply with the redbook standard, this song is converted from Mp3. Before purchasing, I specifically asked a representative from highresaudio.com, to which I was assured that it was in Hi-Res format and they guaranteed it. Also on this site there are assurances from representatives that files are 100% checked for compliance with high standards. Based on the above, I concluded that no one checks these files and even after checking, they claim that this song complies with the Hi-Res standard. Do you also think that I'm wrong?
And you don't think they're cheating? Then what do you think should be done with music for you to consider it deception?
If you think that my screenshot with spectral analysis is not conclusive, then here’s what the representative sent me. You understand this more than me. So check it out and have your say.

The answers you seek probably are best found in the Sound Science Forum. I'm sure the frequent posters there can answer your questions much more authoritative than me. You can try ASR as well since that's their gig.

I'm a Redbook CD kinda guy and don't buy many HiRes files for the various reasons I stated above. For the record, I'm not disagreeing with or arguing with you. I don't buy from hiresaudio.com nor intend to in the future.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #148,937 of 150,382
I'm yet to be convinced it's worth over-spending on 6n6p for Folkvangr. I think Bill may be the only one who has tried nicer options there, most of the rest of us are just rolling the 6922 pair up front...
I agree with you based on my (limited) experience. There were several different manufacturers of the 6N6P in Russia, and I have only messed around with the Fotons. Of those, there are the square getter versions made in the '50's and early '60's, followed by the more ubiquitous UFO getters that started in the '60's and kept going from there. I have seen talk of a "box anode" version, but I'll be darned if I can tell what that is. From pictures posted the plates look the same in those as they do in the square and UFO getter versions. I suspect it may just be a ploy to ask some ridiculously stupid price for them, but I may be wrong.

Sound-wise, there is very little difference between the square getters and UFO getters. I think the square getters sound just a little better, but I wouldn't commit to a blind test to prove it. It's also difficult to tell when you have 8 tubes glowing that all have a slightly different GM and output....it could be that one set just measures or matches a little better than the other. That's how close the sound is, at least to my ears.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #148,938 of 150,382
Shall I start again? I was looking for this song in high resolution, because on the official CD, which must comply with the redbook standard, this song is converted from Mp3. Before purchasing, I specifically asked a representative from highresaudio.com, to which I was assured that it was in Hi-Res format and they guaranteed it. Also on this site there are assurances from representatives that files are 100% checked for compliance with high standards. Based on the above, I concluded that no one checks these files and even after checking, they claim that this song complies with the Hi-Res standard. Do you also think that I'm wrong?
And you don't think they're cheating? Then what do you think should be done with music for you to consider it deception?
If you think that my screenshot with spectral analysis is not conclusive, then here’s what the representative sent me. You understand this more than me. So check it out and have your say.
I think you and @Daniel Johnston are basically alluding to the same thing. I'm not sure where the disconnect is in your perception of his response. Yes, your file looks fraudulent in not being what they say it is, and he is clarifying that that happens somewhat frequently in the Hi-Res file industry. Samesies.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #148,939 of 150,382
I agree with you based on my (limited) experience. There were several different manufacturers of the 6N6P in Russia, and I have only messed around with the Fotons. Of those, there are the square getter versions made in the '50's and early '60's, followed by the more ubiquitous UFO getters that started in the '60's and kept going from there. I have seen talk of a "box anode" version, but I'll be darned if I can tell what that is. From pictures posted the plates look the same in those as they do in the square and UFO getter versions. I suspect it may just be a ploy to ask some ridiculously stupid price for them, but I may be wrong.

Sound-wise, there is very little difference between the square getters and UFO getters. I think the square getters sound just a little better, but I wouldn't commit to a blind test to prove it. It's also difficult to tell when you have 8 tubes glowing that all have a slightly different GM and output....it could be that one set just measures or matches a little better than the other. That's how close the sound is, at least to my ears.
Hey I'm just glad you tried, it wouldn't take much for me to get 6n6p nervosa, but being convinced that there isn't much to be gained from rolling makes it super easy, essentially turning it into a 6922 pair amp for rolling purposes. I'm sure 50% of fv owners did what I did and just bought 16 or so of the gold grids off ebay for $60...

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #148,940 of 150,382
Spinning what I think is one of the strongest albums from Sigur Rós. Kveikur, released in 2013.

To the surprise of many, Bend's then relatively un-renowned Les Schwab Amphitheater managed to score a date on the band's tour supporting this album and man, what a truly magical June evening that was! Venus shining bright with a crescent moon in the sunset glow as the band's ethereal yet powerful sound washed across all present. One of the best live shows I've ever seen.

IMG_7146.jpeg

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #148,941 of 150,382
I'm not sure where the disconnect is in your perception of his response.
Probably because my native language is not English and I was excited about the unfortunate purchase of this music album. It cost twice as much as the CD version and turned out to be fake. I apologize if my statements were rude to anyone.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #148,942 of 150,382
Probably because my native language is not English and I was excited about the unfortunate purchase of this music album. It cost twice as much as the CD version and turned out to be fake. I apologize if my statements were rude to anyone.
There's also the little inconvenient problem that quite a lot of masters from a certain era (particularly from the late 90s to early 10s) sound like they had the living daylights compressed out of them. I was close friends with a mastering engineer around that time and he kept complaining that a non-zero amount of artists and studios recorded their sessions to MP3. Seriously. And that was especially true for electronica, because a lot of artists used crappy sample libraries and worked on their Macs and PCs at home, with all the limited performance and storage space that was available at that time.

Wanna hear a few seriously crappy masters, even though they're relatively new in comparison? Just take a listen to releases from The Pretty Reckless or Black Stone Cherry. As good as those albums are, they're unlistenably, ear-shatteringly bad with compression artifacts all over the place. A real shame, and nothing the artist, the label, or we could ever do about it. Crap in, crap out.

So, not withstanding what you're seeing in your graphs, the good folks at highresaudio.com might actually be telling you the truth. There's a good chance that what you bought is as good and as close to the master as it gets. The fact that the CD version of that album is just as crappy seems to confirm my suspicion.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #148,943 of 150,382
Totally fair. I'd be disappointed, too.

How does it actually sound, though?

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #148,944 of 150,382
There's also the little inconvenient problem that quite a lot of masters from a certain era (particularly from the late 90s to early 10s) sound like they had the living daylights compressed out of them. I was close friends with a mastering engineer around that time and he kept complaining that a non-zero amount of artists and studios recorded their sessions to MP3. Seriously. And that was especially true for electronica, because a lot of artists used crappy sample libraries and worked on their Macs and PCs at home, with all the limited performance and storage space that was available at that time.

Wanna hear a few seriously crappy masters, even though they're relatively new in comparison? Just take a listen to releases from The Pretty Reckless or Black Stone Cherry. As good as those albums are, they're unlistenably, ear-shatteringly bad with compression artifacts all over the place. A real shame, and nothing the artist, the label, or we could ever do about it. Crap in, crap out.

So, not withstanding what you're seeing in your graphs, the good folks at highresaudio.com might actually be telling you the truth. There's a good chance that what you bought is as good and as close to the master as it gets. The fact that the CD version of that album is just as crappy seems to confirm my suspicion.
Interestingly adjacent to the Sigur Rós album I just posted, I've found that much of their output seems to be brickwalled and compressed in the highs and upper mids. They tend to have huge crescendos in some of their songs and everything seems to fall apart, and it doesn't matter what source - vinyl, CD, Qobuz - the crap just seems baked into the mastering. It does their powerful music a considerable disservice. :/

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #148,945 of 150,382
Well,

I just got a 2C51, Tungsol from Dale and plugged it directly into the Vali 3 with ZMF Verite Closed cans...ho-hum...
So I plugged it into the Vali 2+ (lower plate voltage)..had to use an adapter.
Well sir it sounds better in the lower voltage Vali 2+ than in Vali 3.
Gosh this hobby just gets more and more subjective over time!
Change something and wham your "solid" foundation shakes a bit!
Getting so I have to write stuff down on all the combinations!!

Just part of the hobby !!

Alex
:>)

Wonderful listen:
1713829670794.png

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #148,946 of 150,382
Before there were 'The Crusaders' with their Soul-Jazz sound, they were 'The Jazz Crusaders' plying their trade in mostly hard bop. With all the love given Joe Sample, I thought it appropriate to throw-down with a bit of history as he was keyboardist for 'The Jazz Crusaders' and 'The Crusaders' before venturing out on his fantastic solo career

So, here's tonight's Jazz recommendation:

1713826174314.png

The crossover from hard bop to soul-jazz happened on 'Old Socks, New Shoes... New Socks, Old Shoes'. which is the last 'The Jazz Crusaders' album after which they dropped 'Jazz' from the name. You may want to check that album out, as well.

(Tomorrow, I may throw up one of my fav 'The Crusaders' albums.)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #148,947 of 150,382
Before there were 'The Crusaders' with their Soul-Jazz sound, they were 'The Jazz Crusaders' plying their trade in mostly hard bop. With all the love given Joe Sample, I thought it appropriate to throw-down with a bit of history as he was keyboardist for 'The Jazz Crusaders' and 'The Crusaders' before venturing out on his fantastic solo career

1713826174314.png

The crossover from hard bop to soul-jazz happened on 'Old Socks, New Shoes... New Socks, Old Shoes'. which is the last 'The Jazz Crusaders' album after which they dropped 'Jazz' from the name. You may want to check that album out, as well.

Thanks will listen to this after my session with Joe Sample "Invitation". Will be a great evening I'm sure

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #148,948 of 150,382
Thanks will listen to this after my session with Joe Sample "Invitation". Will be a great evening I'm sure
Be sure to check out some of his earlier solo efforts. Rainbow Seeker and Carmel are 2 of my favs.😉

Oh, hell. They're all good! 😁

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #148,950 of 150,382

1713826174314.png

I've always liked 'Scratch'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back