Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #148,696 of 150,975
That would be Mr. Cowen’s sideways Incubus.🤪

The full name of the amp comes from a cat I owned, Incubus Elegans (Elegant nightmare.) I actually called the cat Gonzo, after Hunter S. Thompson’s style of journalism. I no longer make them, I accomplished what I set out to do and hopefully along the way made a few friends happy.😊
I heard that Finnegan shredded the schematics and parts list.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #148,697 of 150,975
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #148,698 of 150,975
Do y’all have a bonded warehouse in Bend? Be curious to know more about that, it’s such a weird, anachronism of a law, but often responsible for my favorite expressions of any American whiskey distillery, maybe because 50% is actually a real sweet spot or the one distiller/single distillery/one season actually allows for something like terroir to show. Does your BIB go longer than the mandated four years?
We have two bonded barrel warehouses and one the largest barrel inventories in all of Oregon. Being also a Single Barrel release, some of our Boytbon and Rye BiB barrels will stretch out closer to the 5-year mark depending on a variety of factors - our Wheat is a 5-year release, so some of those will stretch closer to 6 years. Being aged in the more pronounced cold/hot cycles of the High Desert does help to accelerate the mechanisms that age a spirit - basically, we get more action per year than we would, say, in the Willamette Valley or somewhere more moderate. Those places often need 6-7 or more years to get similar aging action out of a barrel.

None of this is hard and fast, obviously, because we're talking about naturally occurring weather and temperature cycles that we have no control over, but overall this makes Central Oregon an awesome place to make whiskey! We have really great water, too. It requires no processing beyond simple carbon filtration as it enters the building.

And I think terroir is great, and our spirits do manage to capture the feel of the High Desert, IMO. We use all Oregon-sourced ingredients except for the couple of things that are simply not produced here, like the Italian juniper we use in our gin.

Awesome question!

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #148,700 of 150,975
How do you wear out an amplifier case?
It was my offer. Just like Mr. Cowen’s, I just always thought I should have done better. Yours is pretty spiffy as I recall.🤪

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #148,702 of 150,975
It was my offer. Just like Mr. Cowen’s, I just always thought I should have done better. Yours is pretty spiffy as I recall.🤪
Mine looks and sounds just fine. I will confess that the amplifiers that I design and build sound great, but do not have much visual attractiveness--or so my wife says.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #148,703 of 150,975
We have two bonded barrel warehouses and one the largest barrel inventories in all of Oregon. Being also a Single Barrel release, some of our Boytbon and Rye BiB barrels will stretch out closer to the 5-year mark depending on a variety of factors - our Wheat is a 5-year release, so some of those will stretch closer to 6 years. Being aged in the more pronounced cold/hot cycles of the High Desert does help to accelerate the mechanisms that age a spirit - basically, we get more action per year than we would, say, in the Willamette Valley or somewhere more moderate. Those places often need 6-7 or more years to get similar aging action out of a barrel.

None of this is hard and fast, obviously, because we're talking about naturally occurring weather and temperature cycles that we have no control over, but overall this makes Central Oregon an awesome place to make whiskey! We have really great water, too. It requires no processing beyond simple carbon filtration as it enters the building.

And I think terroir is great, and our spirits do manage to capture the feel of the High Desert, IMO. We use all Oregon-sourced ingredients except for the couple of things that are simply not produced here, like the Italian juniper we use in our gin.

Awesome question!
I bought a bottle of your "Bottled in Bond" bourbon and a Westward American single malt yesterday. Going to sample and compare Oregon spirits tonight. :)

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #148,705 of 150,975
Mine looks and sounds just fine. I will confess that the amplifiers that I design and build sound great, but do not have much visual attractiveness--or so my wife says.
My career pulled me in other directions so your knowledge of design dwarfs my own. I stuck with the Incubus longer than expected then I fell in love with woodworking and refurbishing classic gear.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #148,706 of 150,975
My career pulled me in other directions so your knowledge of design dwarfs my own. I stuck with the Incubus longer than expected then I fell in love with woodworking and refurbishing classic gear.
If you don't mind, I will consult with you on the industrial aesthetics of a new design.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #148,707 of 150,975
Of course I live in one of the 3 stupid states they list they can't ship to :frowning2:

Wishful thinking...
Yesterday I went through the whole ordering process on the website. Had address entered (in MT) and CC and was ready to click on the order button. Then I decided to do a quick search on Montana's mail order liquor laws. I found one quote saying you needed a "connoisseur license" in order to receive x amount of beer or wine in a 12 month period. Absolutely nothing regarding distilled spirits. Decided to hold off for the moment and make a run to the upscale liquor store in town to see if they carried any flavors. Nope. Might still roll the dice and try to order a couple bottles and see what happens.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #148,708 of 150,975
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #148,709 of 150,975
If you don't mind, I will consult with you on the industrial aesthetics of a new design.
Of course. And I have Belden 83009 wire laying around so no sense paying $263 for 100’.🤪

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #148,710 of 150,975
Screen Shot 2024-04-20 at 10.35.59 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back