Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #146,236 of 152,759
After reading thru most of the posts about the yeas and nays and ins and outs of streaming, I've come to the conclusion that streaming just isn't for me.

Long live physical media!

It's also the reason I sprung for an Urd and not a streamer.

Thank me very much.
On this first morning in April, I've just listened to some excellent physical media in the form of Charles Lloyd 'The Sky Will Still Be There Tomorrow'.
Long live physical media!!
And yes the Urd does the transporting just fine!

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #146,237 of 152,759
Where's Europe?
European cuisine is in a league by itself. EU countries are feeders into US cuisine; all counties external to the US are. The beauty of immigration is the difference in the peoples and the experiences they bring along. Where do you get the best Chinese or Italian food in NYC? In Chinatown and Little Italy. What is a purely American food - a hot dog? Or maybe the fake mac 'n cheese coming out of the microwave oven in 30 seconds.

To me, the most interesting food in the US is where different cultures have come together. Folks have mentioned Louisiana, and I agree 100%. My family live around NO. A gumbo is just a kind of soup, but it's much more interesting than most soups. YMMV, as always.

ps. Asking a cook how hot the chili is today is like asking somebody on Head-Fi which tube sounds best. :)

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #146,238 of 152,759
Since we've touched on food...

Pro Tip: In Texas (and other places, I'm sure), when eating at a Mexican restaurant, if you want authentic Mexican salsa with real heat, do what the wife and I do -- ask the server to bring the salsa that the kitchen staff eats. What they eat and what is typically served can be miles apart and is usually much more authentic. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #146,240 of 152,759
Yeah - but we need more input, peeps! Please!
C’mon and make this playlist epic! Don’t be cheap!

Add 4 fine songs/pieces you find great for musical and/or sonic pleasure. Additionally add 1 album and 1 artist you - at this point in time - prefer, love or just think should get some attention here.

I'll assemble and order the songs in a shared Apple Music playlist (maybe also Qobuz we'll see) to the the best of effort - and I promise - at least I will listen through it all at least once! The list of albums & artists can be browsed for inspiration by all...

Let's go! Post your answers HERE!
Qobuz pleeeeeeeeeeeze.....

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #146,241 of 152,759
I always say there's no need for arguments: Texas has the best brisket, central/eastern NC is the best pork, and KC is weird ketchup food. Alabama is unique with the white sauce and they have some of the best sides.
I’ve been to Alabama a few times and even ate BBQ. I never ran into the white sauce. I’ll be there again in late April. How do I find this white sauce? What oddball sides should I seek out?

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #146,242 of 152,759
I’ve been to Alabama a few times and even ate BBQ. I never ran into the white sauce. I’ll be there again in late April. How do I find this white sauce? What oddball sides should I seek out?
I think it's usually with the smoked chicken. Big Bob Gibson's is still around, and I think the namesake invented it.

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #146,243 of 152,759
European cuisine is in a league by itself. EU countries are feeders into US cuisine; all counties external to the US are. The beauty of immigration is the difference in the peoples and the experiences they bring along. Where do you get the best Chinese or Italian food in NYC? In Chinatown and Little Italy. What is a purely American food - a hot dog? Or maybe the fake mac 'n cheese coming out of the microwave oven in 30 seconds.

To me, the most interesting food in the US is where different cultures have come together. Folks have mentioned Louisiana, and I agree 100%. My family live around NO. A gumbo is just a kind of soup, but it's much more interesting than most soups. YMMV, as always.

ps. Asking a cook how hot the chili is today is like asking somebody on Head-Fi which tube sounds best. :)
Unless you are indigenous we do indeed get much of our food culture from other nations. We did come up with deep dish pizza, pecan pie, buffalo wings, cheeseburgers, some Tex-Mex foods, clam chowder, lobster rolls etc.

Now if somebody, meaning me, is asked about the best sounding 6SN7 equivalent tube I will give a definitive answer. Others might say it depends upon which headphone amp but in many amps I cannot hear enough difference to differentiate so in my mind my answer would still stand.🤪🤪

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #146,244 of 152,759
Unless you are indigenous we do indeed get much of our food culture from other nations. We did come up with deep dish pizza, pecan pie, buffalo wings, cheeseburgers, some Tex-Mex foods, clam chowder, lobster rolls etc.

Now if somebody, meaning me, is asked about the best sounding 6SN7 equivalent tube I will give a definitive answer. Others might say it depends upon which headphone amp but in many amps I cannot hear enough difference to differentiate so in my mind my answer would still stand.🤪🤪
I once heard that BBQ is the only American food that follows the European model - there are regional variations.

I have personally argued that Italians invented pizza but Americans (Italian Americans, but Americans still) made it a billion dollar industry.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #146,245 of 152,759
I once heard that BBQ is the only American food that follows the European model - there are regional variations.

I have personally argued that Italians invented pizza but Americans (Italian Americans, but Americans still) made it a billion dollar industry.
There have been some great documentaries tracing the roots of foods from Africa, Spain, etc. Also how food culture has changed. Lobsters were not always considered a delicacy and tomatoes were thought to be poisonous. ( It was actually the lead content of pewter plates that were released from acidic foods.)

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #146,246 of 152,759
Ettore Boiardi immigrated to America at 16 years old in 1914....... started selling his sauce in milk bottles. Later opened his first factory where he could grow his own tomato and mushrooms................later during WWII the US Army had his factory going 24/7 supplying 250,000 cans a day....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_Boyardee

Then Campbell's got into it, oh-oh......

And what was invented and what we have today I haven't a clue! :beyersmile:

I tried downloading the Schiit Apple app as suggested onto my BlackBerry to ask Schiit Talker about Italian food history in America but it didn't work! :)

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #146,247 of 152,759
IMG_7662.jpegIMG_7661.jpeg

This set of padauk mini speakers should be the last of my mini radial speaker builds. Folks like @Ripper2860 and @sam6550a are using them with Rekkrs and Gjallarhorns as I recall so they might describe their capabilities. PM me if you have an interest in my final build on this item.😉

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #146,248 of 152,759
Ettore Boiardi immigrated to America at 16 years old in 1914....... started selling his sauce in milk bottles. Later opened his first factory where he could grow his own tomato and mushrooms................later during WWII the US Army had his factory going 24/7 supplying 250,000 cans a day....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_Boyardee

Then Campbell's got into it, oh-oh......

And what was invented and what we have today I haven't a clue! :beyersmile:

I tried downloading the Schiit Apple app as suggested onto my BlackBerry to ask Schiit Talker about Italian food history in America but it didn't work! :)
We still pronounced his name incorrectly. In Italian, the emphasis would be on the 2nd syllable. In American, it's on the 3rd.
Please confirm, @Pietro Cozzi Tinin. :)

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #146,250 of 152,759

Yes, the Foton 6N8S. Many of us agree with you. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back