Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #145,471 of 149,574
…slew, bounce, noises from induction, reflection and other sources…

Only in a simulation do you get a stair step pattern on the output of your DAC chip. The real world is far too messy for idealized models like that.

Unless you're a DAC engineer, I'd say that you should just trust your ears, not overly theoretical white papers or overly simplified YouTube videos. If your DAC sounds good to you, enjoy it. If not, sell it and get something you like better.

Yep, just that simple, no need to check what the cook is doing in the kitchen, just enjoy the food it it taste good to you.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #145,472 of 149,574
I’m glad it made it to you safely . Enjoy!
All this talk of digital sends me right back to analog.🤪 I am waiting for some linseed oil to set up and three woodcraft items are going out to gentlemen on here, even Cowen.😁

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #145,473 of 149,574
More cylinders in an internal combustion engine means smoother, higher frequiency of the escapment in a mechanical watch means finer "second hand" movement, like contour lines, finer is smoother, same as in 3D printing.

How fine we need?
Upsampling is less about having "more cylinders" than it is about needing a lower-order high-pass filter, methinks.

This speaks to the quality of Mike's approach with Yggy. In my experience, 44.1/16 sounds just as good as 192/24 on the same mix through Yggy.

The "better" sound that you might experience when up-sampling to a lesser DAC might well be attributed to the lower-order of its high-pass filter...

But what do I know? I'm a mech engineer, not an EE... <g>

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #145,474 of 149,574
Only conceptually if you choose to visualize a series of values as a "stair step." Digital information is never a wave form; it is a series of switched numbers.
Where it gets interesting is what happens as you're convering the numbers to analog. Keep in mind I did say stairstep‐like. I'm pretty sure if you looked at the direct output from the chip on a scope (before any analog low pass filtering) you would indeed see stairstep-like features.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #145,475 of 149,574
Upsampling is less about having "more cylinders" than it is about needing a lower-order high-pass filter, methinks.

This speaks to the quality of Mike's approach with Yggy. In my experience, 44.1/16 sounds just as good as 192/24 on the same mix through Yggy.

The "better" sound that you might experience when up-sampling to a lesser DAC might well be attributed to the lower-order of its high-pass filter...

But what do I know? I'm a mech engineer, not an EE... <g>

Upsampling afterwards is useless.

Upsampling at the recording process to make another new format, not easy to accomplish... Studio need new reliable equipment, thats why we see 24/48 or 96 more than 24/192 ... it cost a lot more ...

The "more cylinder" means denser sampling, but it was already fixed by the industry, no one will do it.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #145,476 of 149,574
Just arrived in Texas for our annual bluebonnet spring with a topping of eclipse.

Seemed fitting to watch the SchiiT promotional video again from the SchiiT website. If you haven't watched it, as all SchiiTizens should, it's about SchiiT uplifting and growing the US economy, local economy, and sTaTe economy of Texas and California.". *

And it's clearly working. The growth is mind bending in Texas. What's equally mind bending is that our SchiiT sounds better here. Is it the Texas power grid?

IMG_20240327_094452722~2.jpg

UnsTacked Velcroed Down SchiiT Horizontal RV Shelf.

Maybe because Texas is so so so big the digital steps seem smaller here and everything sounds better than Florida?

In another day we'll be settled in our regular RV spot in Kerrville and being closer to 24900 SchiiT Way Corpus World Center of SchiiT Design Christi, I'm hoping for even better sounding SchiiT!

"SchiiT Audio, putting the T back in Texas one piece aT a Time!"

*WARNING: Those who didn't get a Sol that is featured in the video may get misty eyed seeing it in action. And too bad it was killed there could have been a "Texas SOLar Eclipse Anniversary Edition"! :)

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #145,478 of 149,574
I'll be missing the eclipse this far north coastal. may get out to the desert for some stars though.
listened to a CD of old vinyl. actually good digital. I've acclimated well to the Unison USB into the Bifrost2/64, enjoyable, but so is old school SPIDF

IMG_2731.jpeg

IMG_2732.jpeg

Lots of Schiit remotes ~

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #145,479 of 149,574
Today’s listen is on 180 gram vinyl thanks to @Godaisan. A two record set of Neil Young.IMG_7634.jpeg
Nice!! Harvest Moon on LP is also excellent both musically and in recording quality if you don't have it.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #145,481 of 149,574
All this talk of digital sends me right back to analog.🤪 I am waiting for some linseed oil to set up and three woodcraft items are going out to gentlemen on here, even like Cowen.😁
FTFY. :laughing:

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #145,482 of 149,574
My last call for the night. I occasionally get sent some DSF rips from a friend who collects various audiophile SACD releases (certainly will never reject this offer, especially since many of them are out of print). Of everything they have sent me, I consider this unique Mobile Fidelity-mastered Japanese market SACD box set of Dead Can Dance LPs to be the real treasures. Long out of print and quite expensive to purchase second hand (just to get saddled with the lamed-up Sony copy-protect-DAC implementation that is SACD playback), I feel like freeing those files from that leash allows the music to breath and flourish as God intended.

And ye gods, this mastering is fuxing stupendous! Every sound, every percussive jangle, every vocal utterance is just perfection. I feel humbled just listening to them. 🙇‍♂️

Chain is USB Storage > MXN10 Streamer > Freya N (passive) > Magni+ > Drop HD6XX via Blue Dragon cable
^ There is MASSIVE synergy in this setup. ^

IMG_6901.jpeg
They put on a pretty good show too!
IMG_4280.jpeg

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #145,483 of 149,574
Nice!! Harvest Moon on LP is also excellent both musically and in recording quality if you don't have it.
I own it in multiple formats including vinyl and I wholeheartedly agree!😉

While it is still quite early here I am not using power tools today so I am kicking back with a touch oh Noah’s Mill bourbon. A more refined and complex flavor than Rowan’s Creek IMHO, more to my liking and perhaps a tad more vanilla smell and flavor. Neil Young sounds amazing on my system, it goes so well with tube sound.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #145,484 of 149,574
They put on a pretty good show too!
Nice! I am pretty new to their music but have been thoroughly enjoying their art.

Edit: Ooh, at the Schnitzer, too! 😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back